Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel gauge sender
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

You could also try repairing your OG sender:
bay forum link, website link (available 9am-9pm pacific time).
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Barry - thanks for pics of Fuel sender. Did you order this one?

https://www.egauges.com/7-5-190mm-90-0-Ohms-p/224-219.htm

or did you order it from another vendor?

Yes, exactly all ^^^that. Talked to a guy there super knowledgeable and they can get them custom made at an affiliate shop.

Another boring pic of the top after removing the sticker.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

Been having issues with the gas gauge on my '64 splittie panel van and found this thread while searching the split bus forums. The gauge never bumps off of approximately 3/8 full, regardless if the tank is close to empty or just filled to the brim. The guy I bought the vehicle from said he remembers having an issue with the gauge about 18 months ago and that he "fiddled with the wires" to get it working. I would prefer a more technical solution to the issue Smile

So is it likely that my issue is a bad sender, a faulty gauge or something else?

Also, while checking the wiring on the gauge I pulled it out of the dash and the white rubber o-ring that holds it in place disintegrated. What is the best place to find a replacement for this ring? right now the gauge is really loose in its socket and I would like to secure it.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share this since it appears the e-gauges.com website seems to no longer work as a source for genuine VDO tube senders.

Jegs now carries the 190mm length VDO sender that should work in most split buses.

https://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/224-219/10002/-1
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

Thanks PeteSC.

I was looking for a replacement for my faulty sender.

Trevor
Waterborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

Also need to get a new sender. Thanks for the link!
greenboat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

Hello;.
How is the VDO unit from JEGS working for you all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

Found it for $26.99
Almost seems too good to be true.
https://www.outletarmoire.com/vdo-tube-type-fuel-level-sender-unit-7-5-224-011-000-190x
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

^^ thanks Evan if anyone has purchased one of these would be happy to hear some feedback!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

I tried & it said my bank stopped the transaction during checkout... incomplete purchase.
Either my bank stopped it... or the site is just collecting personal data.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

Hijack! Anxious

Sender schmender! How do I check if the gauge is good and/or the sender! Confused

The gauge in the bus I’m working on just quit working! The tank and sender are new. Sad
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Hijack! Anxious

Sender schmender! How do I check if the gauge is good and/or the sender! Confused

The gauge in the bus I’m working on just quit working! The tank and sender are new. Sad

Could you bypass the sender and connect a variable resistor (potentiometer) in its place? I'd expect that dialling the pot up and down should make the needle move up and down if the gauge is working. If so, I'd suspect the sender or a short circuit somewhere.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
Hijack! Anxious

Could you bypass the sender and connect a variable resistor (potentiometer) in its place? I'd expect that dialling the pot up and down should make the needle move up and down if the gauge is working. If so, I'd suspect the sender or a short circuit somewhere.

No fancy tools required.
Just hook it up to the correct voltage battery.
If it pegs to FULL... it’s good.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with WW sender?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=271919051B
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Hijack! Anxious

Gauge ground wire to the sender...hook it up straight to ground. Does the needle move?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Anyone have any experience with WW sender?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=271919051B

Order a new, genuine VDO sender from Jegs:

https://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/224-219/10002/-1
BIG_TEXAS_PETE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

I took mine out and took it apart, soaked it in citric acid for a few days with some cleaning and agitating, did the same with the inside of the tank. Tested it and put it back together. It was totally gunked up and stuck. Looked great when it was cleaned. Depends if you can be bothered.

The sender is just a float moving up and down two wires. you can test it when it's apart out of the tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sender Reply with quote

just order a Wolfsburg west one hope its good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: