Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
raul arrese wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is the mini cam sensor from the Dub shop , its an easy way to go sequential ..

^^^^^^^^
This does not eliminate the "slop" in the brass gear, driveshaft and drive dog.

I run triggers off the distributor drive and "slop" is not an issue. This is putting the spark scatter you get with springy bob weights, flying flame rotor arm and flip flopping vac cans down to backlash
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

Lots of good info here guys. Thx
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

Is anyone running a standalone crank trigger ignition? Are there any kits for that available? I'm aware of the CB Performance programmable distributors, but not any crank trigger version off the shelf. One could ditch the whole distributor/ fuel pump drive. With Mario's nice 36-1 pulley and pickup it could tuck away nicely in an open engine compartment. Considering that is the only machine parts involved it should be quite affordable.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Is anyone running a standalone crank trigger ignition? Are there any kits for that available? I'm aware of the CB Performance programmable distributors, but not any crank trigger version off the shelf. One could ditch the whole distributor/ fuel pump drive. With Mario's nice 36-1 pulley and pickup it could tuck away nicely in an open engine compartment. Considering that is the only machine parts involved it should be quite affordable.

Megajolt is pretty close...

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/MegaJolt_Lite_Jr.

Might have to use EDIS module and possible adapt it to use CB's or "The Dub Shop" trigger setup with MegaJolt and it pretty much fits the bill of ignition only...

Might be able to adapt it to COP also...

You might want to do a little snooping here...

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=63

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

Actually..... yes I run cb. See below.
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2094.htm

If you want to run FI, this wont be feasible. MS would be a better choice or a Dubshop system.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Might have to use EDIS module and possible adapt it to use CB's or "The Dub Shop" trigger setup with MegaJolt and it pretty much fits the bill of ignition only...

jfats808 wrote:

If you want to run FI, this wont be feasible. MS would be a better choice or a Dubshop system.

I want to thank both of you for pointing out some options. I'm not sure why I missed the CB system.

My thought was that if one built an engine for crank fire from the get-go the whole distributor drive system could be left out and even the condition of the brass gear on the crank isn't important. A crank fire system doesn't look that expensive if part of a fresh build, a complete and fully adjustable ignition system for about $600. With the Megajolt/E that price could include the beautiful pulley with hidden 36-1 wheel and pickup from TheDubShop. Some ebay salvage parts and installing the 36-1 wheel on your own and plenty of distributor setups would cost more.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

You aren't that far away from Mario......

I dropped off my Aluminum pulley at his shop and had him get it machined and install the 36-1 toothed wheel in it. He gave it back to me with the VR sensor, trigger wheel installed and the VR bracket so I could install it in my garage when I was doing a winter upgrade.

It might seem to be pricey but in the end it will be the last ignition system you will ever need to buy. They are bullet proof and need no adjustment once installed.
Install the ignition and start gathering parts for Fuel Injection.....you know you'll want to........

Keep a look out for injectors.....no sense going any lower than 32# since they will support up to 200 hp at 85% dc and still give a great idle on a 1600 engine.
Look for a stock German Beetle Throttle body or a Mexican setup for that matter.
Unfortunately CB Performance stopped making the stock style FI endpieces and only have the hi-flow at a higher price.
The stock style were a great way to get into FI for a reasonable price.

Mario is starting to market the Microsquirt ECU for ignition only setups but they support FI so it will be a simple step up if anyone ever wanted to.

EVfun wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

jfats808 wrote:

I want to thank both of you for pointing out some options. I'm not sure why I missed the CB system.

My thought was that if one built an engine for crank fire from the get-go the whole distributor drive system could be left out and even the condition of the brass gear on the crank isn't important. A crank fire system doesn't look that expensive if part of a fresh build, a complete and fully adjustable ignition system for about $600. With the Megajolt/E that price could include the beautiful pulley with hidden 36-1 wheel and pickup from TheDubShop. Some ebay salvage parts and installing the 36-1 wheel on your own and plenty of distributor setups would cost more.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

This is another substitution for MS/megajolt.

https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Speeduino

This is the route I am planning on taking if and when I go efi.
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

Do these systems pull the timing back when cruising or are they fixed kinda like a digital version of a mechanical dizzy.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

stanthedog wrote:
Do these systems pull the timing back when cruising or are they fixed kinda like a digital version of a mechanical dizzy.

These systems use RPM x MAP tables to program your timing curve...you can program whatever "mechanical" and engine vacuum ("engine load") advance you want.

I don't think electrickery works that way
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

I'm really thinking of going this route. Another question- where am I going to get the map signal, I'm running duel 44idf's. and, does someone have timing curves.With a w120 cam, can I use a MAP sensor.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

stanthedog wrote:
I'm really thinking of going this route. Another question- where am I going to get the map signal, I'm running duel 44idf's. and, does someone have timing curves.With a w120 cam, can I use a MAP sensor.

If you have ports in the manifold or vac ports on the IDFs, that would be best. I think a balance tube between the two banks with a tee in it would give the best results. Same kinda think you would do with a vac can on a distributor. If you don't have ports already and have to put some in, just make sure they are somewhere below the butterflies.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

I can drill and tap my manifolds easy enough (not currently on the car) But Will I get a good enough vac signal with my w120 cam and 42mm valves?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

Can a few people please post some pics of their trigger wheel setup that came off of a production car?

Thanks
iowa vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
stanthedog wrote:

If you have ports in the manifold or vac ports on the IDFs, that would be best. I think a balance tube between the two banks with a tee in it would give the best results. Same kinda think you would do with a vac can on a distributor. If you don't have ports already and have to put some in, just make sure they are somewhere below the butterflies.

I drilled and tapped ports at the top of the manifold and then routed to a custom block I made to then go to the control box. The block also has the fuel distribution and gauge incorporated into it, that what the gauge is for.

francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

...Hi guys;

This system does it basically use the same "compufire dis-ix" coils type ?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

francoangellini wrote:
...Hi guys;

This system does it basically use the same "compufire dis-ix" coils type ?

It depends of what type of system you have to trigger and fire coils... You can use wasted spark (DIS-IX) type coils or individual coils for each plug....

"Crank Fire" is more about how to trigger ignition, most common is to use a 36-1 tooth tone ring on crank shaft pulley to tell CPU when to fire coils...

The Compu-fire system uses the distributor "model" system to fire coils...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

recently got my 59 Ghia on CB magnaspark crank trigger up and running. I'm also running Dubshop hidden crank sensor.

Fired right up, cam burn done and carbs synced. I now want to confirm my timing actual vs the map (timing offset or indexing the sensor).
I have an adjustable timing light. Whats everyone process for indexing the sensor? Fire it up, get the rpm stable, adjust timing light until TDC mark is aligned with the case seam and enter the offset in the settings (+/- the difference timing light dial vs the map).

2003 911
www.hertfordshirevehiclestorage.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

If you have a degree pulley then set your timing in your ECU locked to 10 degrees. At idle check timing with a timing light. If it isn't 10 on the pulley then adjust + / - offset in ECU until it reads 10.

On my ECU the only LOCK I can do is at zero timing so I have to give it a little extra air to idle while I do this. Set offset so the pulley reading matches software commanded timing.

Also use a non adjustable timing light. The adjustable kinds read weird with sequential (and waste spark) unless you have a fancy digital adjustable light compatible with these systems. I just grab a non adjustable for this check.
Reverand Hope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Official" Crank Trigger Ignition Information Reply with quote

stanthedog wrote:
I can drill and tap my manifolds easy enough (not currently on the car) But Will I get a good enough vac signal with my w120 cam and 42mm valves?

provided your MAP sensor is sufficiently sensitive, you can use a relatively 'weak' signal to affect changes in programmable ignition timing. The key is to try to make the signal as steady as possible with whatever carbs/TBs you're using. My 1776 (Bus) is running on twin IDFS (28mm chokes) and a 110 cam, stock valves (IIRC). I use the four manometer fittings below the throttle plates for a signal (2 short hoses T'eed at each carb, then T'eed again into the ECU via an anti pulse valve. I see 60 KPA at idle (850 RPM) with approximately 5 KPA variance which is acceptable. This will improve as I tweak the map.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: