Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake cleaning
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: brake cleaning Reply with quote

I have read a number of the threads that discussed what is best to use for parts cleaner when it comes to brakes, and engine parts.

To this point, I have used about 3 cans of brake cleaner, and it certainly doesn't take much to use a can up. At $4 a can, it adds up quickly.

So it led me to a search on what I could use on the backing plates/parts in general, but in a larger volume. I read about some using diesel fuel, and some use gas, and most use brake cleaner in the aerosol cans.

Overlooking the "problems" with using gas, or diesel fuel, that sure would be an awesome way to clean. Pour it in a small container, brush it on, and reuse for cleaning. But if those are not ideal options, what can I use to as a bath that would be a lot cheaper than the cans of cleaner?

Last edited by crankbait09 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

I use Mineral Spirits purchased by the gallon at Home Depot or the like.

I use the spray brake cleaner first for a quick spray down... but just to get a start on the cleaning...

Then with the parts removed use mineral spirits in a tub along with a brush,

Once done, cold water rinse and then air dry.

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

Brake jobs in my shop always start with a liberal application of Castrol Super clean (the purple stuff) followed by the pressure washer. Make sure to spray up from below as well so you don't just get the top areas you can see clean.

Engine parts have been getting the superclean, scrub/scrape and a hose job to get the heavy stuff off before hitting the solvent tank lately too, that stuff works remarkably well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

I see that purple stuff at my local auto parts store , a gallon for $12.
I don't have access to a pressure washer, and it's too damn cold for hose water Smile
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

I use a small storage tote with the snAp on lid. It’s about 20x 10x 8... fill it with simple green. I can soak parts in it and have an assortment of scrub brushes on hand.

You can also position it under areas of the car your working on and do some spot scrubbing, such As underneath your backing plates.

Also keep a spray bottle with S/G in it to deliver some extra material to work area.

You can also soak really nasty parts for a few days and the muck just comes right off.

And when your all done, just snap the lid back on and stash it away.

If you have bigger parts, get a larger tote and more S/G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
I use a small storage tote with the snAp on lid. It’s about 20x 10x 8... fill it with simple green. I can soak parts in it and have an assortment of scrub brushes on hand.

You can also position it under areas of the car your working on and do some spot scrubbing, such As underneath your backing plates.

Also keep a spray bottle with S/G in it to deliver some extra material to work area.

You can also soak really nasty parts for a few days and the muck just comes right off.

And when your all done, just snap the lid back on and stash it away.

If you have bigger parts, get a larger tote and more S/G.

straight simple green? No water added, or no need to rinse?
ever use that on outer wheel bearings? I disassembled my wheels, and would like to clean them to see if I need to replace them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

At home my first parts washer was a oil drain pan about 1/3 full of mineral spirits and a stiff bristle brush. Next I rented a small unit from Safety Kleen and they came by about every two months to service the unit. It was about 70 bucks every time they came out.

They also make a bench top unit for small jobs, neat doesn’t take up much room. Krystal Kleen has a similar program. For the last 20 years I’ve had my own large Zep cleaning tank which holds 15 gallons of solvent. I bought it from a local car dealer when they went to closed system washers for environmental reasons. It has a soak area as well as drying rack and it’s big enough to do cases. I’m using a cleaning product like Varsol made locally by chemical company and sells for 40 dollars per 5 gallons. I only clean and change it about once a year now.

Just a heads up but buying small quantities at big box stores is the most expensive. Lacquer thinner for example is nearly 20 bucks a gallon at Lowe’s or Home Depot whereas you can buy 5 gallons of re refined thinner at paint and body supply house for 40 bucks. Check chemical supply houses as well the savings is worth it. They might say they don’t sell to public, I made my own invoice by creating my own business name and letterhead. They are in business to make money. I like saving money, that’s a win win situation.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

I purchased a parts cleaning center, that has a submersible pump, from Harbor Frieght. I poured 5 gallons of nondiluted Simple Green into the tank. Works awesome on everything. It has a metallic hose that pumps Simple Green through itself. I can get a whole case in the tank and can scrub away. I aim the nozzel down in the oil passages and will let it stream for hours, then move to the next oil passageway and repeat. It works GREAT! The best benefit to the cleaner is it makes the garage smell good!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

If you like Simple Green try Mean Green from Dollar General (I think most dollar stores carry it). Great degreaser and all around cleaner, and dirt cheap, especially if you buy the big refill jugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

Historically I have mostly used gasoline or varsol. Diesel is fine for engine and transmission parts but there is no advantage over varsol but both tend to leave things a bit oily. Gasoline is a better solvent for sure and parts can be painted after. It is definitely high risk in enclosed areas though!

As mentioned Brake Clean is super but very expensive for large jobs, I tend to use it only for really tough spots that other solvents won't touch and for at final degrease before painting.

Watch the Brake Clean though guys! Some brands are very flammable and some not at all.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

If you’re just using cans of brake clean, instead of just hosing the brake parts down with can after can, place a small pan to catch runoff, lightly saturate the parts, scrub with a brush and/or rag to loosen buildup reusing some of the captured fluid & then flush remaining grime off with fresh cleaner. I can do all four corners on a car or two using just one can.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

Well my latest issue I'm having the need for all this cleaner, is that the wheel cylinder blew up and shot fluid all in the drum. Add that to the dirt and everything else, I have a mess to clean up. I was trying to make quick work of cleaning the backing plate while on the car. I have a wire brush I'm using too. So after that, I believe all the other drums that are perfectly dry will do well with a couple sprays of brake cleaner. But this one drum is a mess

I found some purple cleaner/degreaser at home Depot which is used for engines and the like. Looks pretty decent. But it does require a rinsing afterwards too.
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

I buy the cheap brake cleaner at Wal Mart.Around 2 bucks a can,and I think it works as good as any other brand at more than twice the price.I also have a 20 gallon parts cleaner with mineral spirits.They are not that expensive,and you will use the crap out of it.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

I mainly use spray brake cleaner to dry parts that have already been cleaned and then rinsed with water. Use some solvent, then degreaser and water in a oil drain pan or bucket if you don't have a parts washer. You might be surprised by how well a good dish soap will cut grease.

Sometimes, when I have only one or two small parts, I clean them over a pan with hand cleaner while I am cleaning my hands. Wash with dish soap and water after the hand cleaner then dry with a rag, or hit them with a quick shot of brake cleaner to dry them.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
I see that purple stuff at my local auto parts store , a gallon for $12.
I don't have access to a pressure washer, and it's too damn cold for hose water Smile

that "purple power" or any other purple stuff is weasel piss....buy the real deal superclean by Castrol. I buy it in 30 gal drums, can be had by the gallon or 5 gallon jug at most parts stores.

I use johnsens brake clean. that shit is EVIL and will ruin your day if you get it on painted surfaces, but it's the last thing on the planet that works like the good old days.

depending on the job, most times a case of brake clean is added to the bill. I need stuff that actually works, and cant waste time fiddle farting around with crap that doesn't work.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: brake cleaning Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure that weasel piss would work better than some of that non-chlorinated crap.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: