Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What basic steel 16 inch wheel fits the VW bolt pattern?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: What basic steel 16 inch wheel fits the VW bolt pattern? Reply with quote

The previous owner put nice 16 in alloys on my 'new' '97. A good luck in the spare hole showed a 14 inch (yes, really- not sure how that could have gotten near an EV). I want a minimal priced 16 spare, presumably steel, not needing a wide profile. Will only be used like mini-spares on cheaper 'modern cars -- just to get to a tire store. (OK one Sunday I had to drive quite a way on a cheap spare in my Vanagon just to get to a tire store.) So if anyone knows a VW model or similar (?Audi) that might have gone to the wrecking yard with non-fancy steel 16s, please let me know.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: What basic steel 16 inch wheel fits the VW bolt pattern? Reply with quote

Any hub-centric 5x112mm from VW or Audi should work. You'll probably find steel spares with VWs; not as likely with Audi's (both my B5 and B6 A4's had full-sized alloy spares). You can order a new steel 5x112mm wheel (Audi winter wheels) from the TireRack.

I don't think electrickery works that way
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What basic steel 16 inch wheel fits the VW bolt pattern? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Any hub-centric 5x112mm from VW or Audi should work. You'll probably find steel spares with VWs; not as likely with Audi's (both my B5 and B6 A4's had full-sized alloy spares). You can order a new steel 5x112mm wheel (Audi winter wheels) from the TireRack.

Thanks. Used parts yards are getting to be like hens' teeth around here; I had a hard time getting the idea across to the not-quite-so-near over the phone. The best I did was a place that had a 16 x 61/2 denoted as a 5 x 110, He seemed to be saying that the 110 was the offset, rather than the spacing of the 5 lugs. Does this sound likely? Seems crazy to not have the diameter or other info on the 5-bolt pattern dimension. If anyone has any more info that could clarify my search I'd appreciate it. And yes, I've dealt w/tire rack, but if I can find a steel 16 in a wrecking yard, with or w/out rubber, esp locally, seems both easier and cheaper. And yes I know that then I'll have to modify the hanger bay to carry the bigger tire,
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What basic steel 16 inch wheel fits the VW bolt pattern? Reply with quote

Honestly, your best bet is to find a 16" alloy from an Audi off of craigslist. Audis typically have the correct offset and are a direct bolt-on. Another option is to locate someone selling wheels from the VW diesel-gate scandal buy-back cars. They're also 5x112 and have the correct offset. I just bought a complete set that I mounted on our Audi for $160. They came with 90% tread. Killer deal.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: