Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Okrasa engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastbackdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

Has anyone used a vacuum advance distrib. with the Okrasa set up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastbackdavid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

Hello Bueller Bueller anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

Just vacuum? Or SVDA?
What are you trying to accomplish?
With what carbs?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

This is the dist the op is asking about using. VJUR4BR8
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

I am interested in knowing this too, anyone running a Vac/mech advance distributor like the VJUR4BR8 with an Okrasa or Okrasa-style Kit? Is there a place to tap off one or both carbs for vacuum? Thanks!
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

Oettinger used a vacuum advance distrib. with the Okrasa
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

Ah very interesting, good catch there! thanks!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

They also used VJ4BR25 (010) mechanical only.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

swanlakers wrote:
Oettinger used a vacuum advance distrib. with the Okrasa

Always liked this illustration as it also shows a 25hp fuel pump, used to mount the 8mm fuel line without needing an adaptor?

Regarding the question about the vacuum support: I'm sure you can add a vacuum line somewhere, keep in mind these Solex 32 carbs were used on several boring German and European cars that also came with a vacuum advance distributor. On the carbs I have, there is always a little screw used to block this exit.
When you search the gallery or the WWW for pics of old original Okrasa engines, you will notice plenty of them have a vacuum cans, in fact I would say most of them.
It's a little off topic, I'm unsure if I have the rights to upload collected pics here after the new EU data law.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

Just a few links to scroll down and see how old engines had stock 36hp dizzies mounted...

https://felix03.jimdo.com/zweivergaseranlagen-im-%C3%BCberblick/okrasa-tuning/

http://www.flat4.de/zcarb.htm

http://www.ascort-tsv-1300.com/Technical_3.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Trying to keep my stock distributor to keep the numbers-matching parts as much as I can on my '59 Ragtop. Right now just found out the cam and lifters HATED each other and decided to eat each other, so those are going away along with the heads that were ran too long with over 80-thou valve clearance... So new heads were a must anyways, so why not give it some more kick?! Here it is before teardown:

1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

Just found this interesting picture showing the full path of a vacuum advance line over to the far passenger side for some reason...

1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

So I just received my WW Okrasa Kit, and it specifically states you have to go to a dizzy distributor because the carbs aren’t set up for a vacuum take-off. In doing some digging I came up with this military site that shows drilling out of a port next to the accelerator pump as you can see. I was thinking about drilling this out and tapping at 6.0x1.0 standard threads to be able to utilize the standard 4.0mm OD copper tube vacuum line and original 36hp vacuum fittings.

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=133909

This port has an obvious path that heads down to the intake surface but has a brass plug, would that need to be drilled out and gasket opened up??
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

Update: drilled & tapped the port mentioned above, then drilled out the small brass plug from the bottom so now I can cut a small notch in the carb gasket to pull vacuum from the intake!
For reference, this is just a temp mock-up with original 36hp 4mm OD vacuum line, I’ll likely need a longer line so I can route it better! I hope this helps somebody in the future, it was a bit scary drilling into a brand new carb!!

texstardetail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

I had the kit in my cart to purchase too! Guess you beat me to the punch.
What distributor are you needing to run with this kit? I too wanted to keep the OG distributor, but figure I'd rather install a new distributor vs tapping a carb. I know I'd screw it up somehow
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa engine Reply with quote

texstardetail wrote:
I had the kit in my cart to purchase too! Guess you beat me to the punch.
What distributor are you needing to run with this kit? I too wanted to keep the OG distributor, but figure I'd rather install a new distributor vs tapping a carb. I know I'd screw it up somehow

Get an 010

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: