Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Semaphores
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Semaphores Reply with quote

Finishing up a restoration of my semaphore equipped car. Just wondering how everyone is using the semaphores; are they wired to pop out everytime you use turn signals which would add wear and tear or are the semaphores wired to a separated switch, only to be used when desired. If a separate switch is used what are you using??
Thanks
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

I would just wire them to be used like factory and like the wiring harness intends. They are pretty accessible to get rebuilt if needed. Also, it seems like a lot of work wiring and installing other turn signals, when you already have some really unique and cool ones mounted and ready to go. I use mine all the time. Nothing like the sound of them popping up when you hit the turn signal switch.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

I installed a separate toggle switch (SPDT three position . . . "on-off-on") for my semaphores . . . something like this https://www.amazon.com/Femitu-Heavy-Toggle-Switch-Center/dp/B001FRE1E8
The turn switch on the steering column operated flashing turn indicator lights . . . in the headlight buckets and taillights.
Pretty much for the reason you mention . . . plus most knuckleheads on the road have no idea what a semaphore is!
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

What year is your car? Is it a daily driver? Is it semaphore equipped because it is pre 55 or because it is a Euro Beetle? It would legally need flashing turn signals if it is a newer oval that is driven on the road.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

My car is actually a Oct 58 euro sunroof. I posted here because I think that semaphores are more common in the oval era. I have my car wired for rear turn signals and I can also cause the semaphores to raise as well as the turn signals blinking. I was just trying to decide whether it is best to have the semaphore flip out every time or use an auxiliary switch
Bruce
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
What year is your car? Is it a daily driver? Is it semaphore equipped because it is pre 55 or because it is a Euro Beetle? It would legally need flashing turn signals if it is a newer oval that is driven on the road.

This is false. The signals have to work the way they were designed, that is all. So if it has semaphores then they have to work. For safety sake, it make sense to put flashing turn signals since nobody knows enough to look for semaphores or even how they work, but LEGALLY here in the states, you aren’t required to have flashing turn signals on a vehicle that didn’t have them.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
h~moto wrote:

This is false. The signals have to work the way they were designed, that is all. So if it has semaphores then they have to work. For safety sake, it make sense to put flashing turn signals since nobody knows enough to look for semaphores or even how they work, but LEGALLY here in the states, you aren’t required to have flashing turn signals on a vehicle that didn’t have them.

... even functioning semaphores ( on a semaphore car) would fail state inspection in NJ... MUST have blinking lights... this was the case in many states and "puffs" were added to front fenders and additional lights added to rear fenders, at various ports of entry. I once bought a '54 with the semaphores brazed closed...
Here in Oklahoma, we have no state inspection and I run regular semaphores, switched at the stalk on the column, for turning... and I concur, not many other drivers even look at or for semaphores... many don't even know what they are. So, I use hand signals, also... is not a daily driver and I live in rural Oklahoma... many times, I don't even see another car, on the road, when driving our '55...
... an alternate switch is not a bad idea, if you're not gunna use them to indicate when turning, every time... i'd definitely re think my practice if I lived in a very populated area.... am thankful, I don't
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

Yeah like Zen said... 99% of driver's around you have no clue or idea what they are, let alone look for them. I've also found that they distract & confuse the shit out of driver's around & especially behind you when you're sitting at a congested intersection. 2 years ago, I actually had some dingbat sitting next and a little back of me at a stop light actually smack the car in front of her while she tried to move closer to get a better peek while trying to take a freaking a picture of them! Yes, people are that stupid...

But the one that did it for me was early last spring... Was on my way home from a local car event, it was around 4pm so traffic was heavy and was almost home and as I was slowing to stop to turn left into my subdivision (a very busy road at times) a lifted Jeep behind me never ever saw me slowing down to turn left waiting to cross traffic... semaphores up, brake lights on, arm out of the window signaling left. All I heard from behind was the tire screech and as I looked in the near pointless rear-view mirrors all I saw was a glimpse of a jacked up Jeep CJ with all 4 corners locked going sideways at 50-60mph to the point where I thought as he was starting to flip would land smack dab into the open rag-top... As soon as I could finally turn, I stopped went to check the guy as he wound up landing on the far right shoulder on its side with the front suspension ripped off by the curb (not a scratch on the Oval, thank god). And guy starts screaming at me as to why I had no blinkers or brake lights on! Once the police arrived he made his statement saying that he never saw any brake lights, blinkers or me making hand signals. The police checked my car and yes, all of my lights did work but because none of them flashed? Guess who got the ticket... No flashers = it's your fault & you're getting the ticket, and I don't care how you try to explain of it was how the car was originally built it has no bearing WHATSOEVER! End of story... But he was also cited for driving to fast as well so it was a wash as far as fault went... But none the less, it was still $150.00 ticket for 'improper lighting'.

Needless to say, right after that, I had no choice to add an old original flasher I had laying around just to run the 4 corners but once you put the flasher relay into the lighting quotient, they don't play to well well with semaphores. (there are some ways to do it around here but hell I like easy) So you are pretty much forced to put them on a separate circuit & switch... So I watched the classifieds until I came across the semaphore dash switch for early bus and got lucky and found one that works perfect for $25 and since I never drive mine in the rain (rain-x actually works better than trying to use the useless wipers so I just put chrome acorns on the wiper holes) I threw it in the hole where the unused wiper switch was and volia...

But now, with the driving season almost upon us again (if it ever stops freaking snowing anyway) just the other week I ordered a set of Chip B's LED rear taillights, his proper flasher (my system is 6 volt). And also purchased a set of re-pop 6v semaphores as well as well just because my original are really getting tired & not really in a position to spend $600-$1,000 for a set of OEM rebuilt or N.O.S.. And I also ordered up a set of the 31mm flashing led traficators from Classic Dynamo in the U.K. (part# EA2D) after I saw them in a buddies oval at another shop and are bright enogh to see them flashing in direct sunlight! so, now even though I have 2 dedicated switches to separate the 2 systems, at least now EVERYTHING will flash and hopefully drivers around me will be able to actually see them now! (fingers crossed)

...and just so that while using one, the other or both, to stop forgetting if anything is left on after signaling I also adding 2 tiny 3v-24v piezo beeper so that I will know if anything is still on...

As soon as I get my car out of storage I'll ad a pic or two so you can see how mine worked out...
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

I know a few folks are running flashing LED bulbs ,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1849290
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

Thanks for some great input on this subject. On my 59 Euro car I have installed Chips LED tail lights for rear signals which will flash and also beep with an added electronic beeper. I agree that most drivers would not have a clue what a semaphore is for. That was the main reason I started this query, if a semaphore is not seen as an effective turn signal I might as well put it on a separate switch(been looking for a bus switch) and only use it for show. Also what are you using for front signals?
On a totally different subject I installed a Euro lock on my car, now I have an empty hole where the ignition switch was and another where the choke went (dual carbs) how are you guys filling the holes??
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

whats wrong with the flashing LED bulbs for semaphores?

I have them on my 51 split, they work great.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

My point is if other drivers don’t see them anyway why even use them except for fun or showing them off?
Bruce
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: