Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot VW's magazine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
LindaP wrote:
The last time I bought one was probably 20 years ago. I never bought another after reading an article written by *the editor* that said what a nice "Mole Hair" headliner the feature car had. :0

Wow a simple grammatical or spelling error gets a response like that? What’s it like if someone cuts you off in traffic? Stick around and I guarantee you’ll be greatly entertained when you meet Mr. Mark Tucker Very Happy Paging Mark, we got a live one.

This seems like perfectly reasonable logic to me.
If you are the EDITOR of a magazine, you should not be making errors like that.

Especially with spellcheck, right?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
LindaP wrote:
The last time I bought one was probably 20 years ago. I never bought another after reading an article written by *the editor* that said what a nice "Mole Hair" headliner the feature car had. :0

Wow a simple grammatical or spelling error gets a response like that? What’s it like if someone cuts you off in traffic? Stick around and I guarantee you’ll be greatly entertained when you meet Mr. Mark Tucker Very Happy Paging Mark, we got a live one.

This seems like perfectly reasonable logic to me.
If you are the EDITOR of a magazine, you should not be making errors like that.

Especially with spellcheck, right?

I can see Spell Check giving you that, and I can see a human making an error.
I'm always surprised to see a spelling error, but I've seen a lot more since we all started depending on spell check.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

If you are a professional writer or editor and you still rely on spell check, you are probably in the wrong business.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I think everybody is making a mountain out of a mow-hill over this.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I think everybody is making a mountain out of a mow-hill over this.

That is SOOOOOO racist. Wink

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I see it in the local news papers all the time, words that pass spellcheck but are out of place and context. All the proof readers have been fired - streamlining the business, making it more profitable for the share holders.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I see it in the local news papers all the time, words that pass spellcheck but are out of place and context. All the proof readers have been fired - streamlining the business, making it more profitable for the share holders.

yep

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Boy, lack of a - sure makes a bit of a difference...
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

So awesome, That is what America is all about!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I decided long ago many writers don't read their own words aloud- to hear how correctly written, grammatically accurate words actually sound when spoken. My reading voice always helps me better than making sure my keystrokes are correct. And yet I still f-up my statements regularly.

Paper editors don't read these articles anymore. They peruse for glaring spelling errors and trust they hired competent staff.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I decided long ago many writers don't read their own words aloud- to hear how correctly written, grammatically accurate words actually sound when spoken. My reading voice always helps me better than making sure my keystrokes are correct. And yet I still f-up my statements regularly.

Paper editors don't read these articles anymore. They peruse for glaring spelling errors and trust they hired competent staff.

I do the same thing. Read it clearly and slowly. How words and phrases sound tells me how ugly my writing really is before revision.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I may be wrong, as I don't know ANY details regarding the demise of VW Trends, but I suspect at least some of it had to do with that very issue - pre-high school-level writing skills. Who wants to keep reading crap that one feels they could've written ten times better themselves!?

Over the decades, I'd many times considered writing to DB and HVW's to offer free proofreading of ALL their articles. I suppose the reasons that I didn't were (among others) that it might be insulting, and my offer would probably be ignored anyway.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I once wrote an article for HVWs, presenting them with a perfect, proof-read copy. They STILL screwed up the printed article by changing a few words, which of course changed the meaning of those sentences.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I never relied on spell check. I always always read it 2 or 3 times, then sat on it for a day or two, then re-read it... One of the few times I didn't, because I was in a major time crunch, I used spell check, and didn't catch what Microsoft Word would change "Transaxle" to... sure as hell, 3 months later, I start getting phone calls about where someone can buy a "Gene Berg 5 Speed TRANSSEXUAL"...ruh-roh...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

In the April 1979 issue of Hot VWs Magazine, my 1970 made it into the Pride and Joys section. The 1970 looked pretty darn good in those days, sported the "CUSSER" license plate, obtained the first day Arizona started them, and the engine lid standoffs it still has today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 1835cc engine is now in my 1971 Convertible, and the convertible's 1600cc engine is what I rebuilt to power the 1970 these days.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

I get six automotive related rags per month, they include Hot VW's, Muscle Car, Mopar Muscle, Car Craft, Hot Rod and Street Rodder, not a month passes with at least three having some type of grammatical error, cool thing about the human brain is the capability to convert that mofo and carry on as if nothing has happened, so should we all.

Printed magazines are borderline surviving today, staffing up with proof readers to quell the perfectionists just stacks the bottom line against staying in business.
I prefer reading an actual in the grubby mitts paper article in lieu of a cold lifeless monitor and can tolerate a whole lot of slips past the editors over not having those magazines at all.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Yes, but I believe the whole point here is that we never needed any 'proofreaders', or spellcheck. ALL people used to be able to just write, but now things r changing. B4u no it, we'Re wRiTing lik 6th gRadRes.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Doubt that, magazines, newspapers, books and such when an article was written it went to the proof reader, then editor for approval, then to the typesetter who probably caught most of whatever errors remained even when the conversion from linotype to cold plate the words still needed typed or proofed again. Agreed computers, spell check with grammar and short staff is a combination for errors.

Being one who makes lots of grammatical errors, accepts the fact that others do to, so far not lost any sleep over it, although have had a few chuckles over some of them.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot VW's magazine Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
B4u no it, we'Re wRiTing lik Mark Tucker.

Fixed it for ya Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: