Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamtennal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

Also, can I run the inverter on the current isolator I have, or will I need to order whole separate isolator for the AC Inverter to run on?
williamtennal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

Update: its now fully charged and sitting at 13.6V.
My question : I am still getting zero lights or power on the pro sport. Do I have to run the AC cord on this to make it work? I just can't believe something hooked up to two separate batteries needs more...
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

williamtennal wrote:

My question : I am still getting zero lights or power on the pro sport. Do I have to run the AC cord on this to make it work? I just can't believe something hooked up to two separate batteries needs more...

As I said back on page 1, the charger needs to be plugged directly into AC power (i.e. 110/120V via a household outlet) to work properly.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 Tin-top Solar Install (Specifically: ProSport Charger) Reply with quote

williamtennal wrote:
Update: its now fully charged and sitting at 13.6V.

You are correct the Prosport needs outside power to work. It cannot make power from the batteries to charge those same batteries. No free lunch here. Please read the Prosport manual for clarification and be careful with those electrons. I sense you are not familiar with 12V systems. There are good resources on the internet and you tube on how they work regarding solar and chargers.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: