Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dubjeep's 1970 fixer-upper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danno627 wrote:
...I will be forcing myself to work on the car at least 5 minutes a day to maintain motivation. I do plan on finishing this car someday.

That was quite a bold statement! I'm functioning off that premise as well! I promise getting that bottle of gas will be worth it, but try the flux core first so you'll appreciate the nice welds you get once you do. I'm up against some obstacles too, but I'm not loosing my vision of it being finished either.

Are you going to set the body on the pan to line up the body to pan holes before you weld the pan halves in?
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't planning on putting the body back on for the pan. I took measurements before hand, and can also compare to the driver's side.

I will be putting the body back on for the luggage shelf and heather channels though.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to keep busy a little bit each day. I'm not sure if that is working, or I am just enjoying the engine work more than the floorpan. Either way, my motivation is renewed.
I had the Harbor Freight engine stand modified by welding a nut to the top and making a Tbolt to tighten the VW adapter. I then bolted the adapter to the engine, and lifted the engine into the stand (with a friend).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then the teardown began.

After having been off the road since 2003, the oil came out clean.

Marked the cylinders in BugMeVideo fashion.

Here's how the engine sits now:

I could not do the other side yet because the tin over the head and cylinders has a stuck bolt on the #1 side of the intake hole. The bolt on the #2 side has already snapped off clean with the head. I don't think I'm going to be able to get the #1 bolt out either. I may have to grind it off and have the machine shop get the remains out.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's some progress! I always liked the engine stuff more myself too. For that frozen screw in the tin, you could try heating it up good with a torch, then whacking it hard with a hammer to break the rust bonds free from the threads, and then use a hand held impact tool with a standard bit that will unscrew each time you hit it with a hammer.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Well, that's some progress! I always liked the engine stuff more myself too. For that frozen screw in the tin, you could try heating it up good with a torch, then whacking it hard with a hammer to break the rust bonds free from the threads, and then use a hand held impact tool with a standard bit that will unscrew each time you hit it with a hammer.

I did try heating it with a torch, but with all of the grease and lint and other crap all over it I was concerned about a fire. I also tried an impact screwdriver.

What I may try doing is welding a nut to the head. Hopefully the heat will help. If not, more money at the machine shop.

Do you know if Simplex works on VWs?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually part of the reason that welding a nut onto a broken stud works, is because of the intense heat it puts into the rusty threads. Plus you've got dissimilar metal corrosion going on there, so it's not just rust. What is this Simplex you speak of? I wonder if Santa is bringing you a gas bottle for Christmas? Wink

dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Usually part of the reason that welding a nut onto a broken stud works, is because of the intense heat it puts into the rusty threads. Plus you've got dissimilar metal corrosion going on there, so it's not just rust. What is this Simplex you speak of? I wonder if Santa is bringing you a gas bottle for Christmas? Wink

Simplex is on Westminster street in Providence.
http://www.simplexengine.com/

No gas bottle because I need to take a cert exam for work. $270 for the test, reimbursement upon passing.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally setup my welder, which I purchased in March of 2013. Unfortunately, it appears to be missing a mount for the bearing that puts pressure on the drive roll for the wire feed.

This meant that I could not weld a nut to the stuck bolt holding the tin to the 1&3 cylinder head. I instead I ended up grinding the head off.

After that, my wife and I finished stripping the engine down. Here is a video of here animating the crankshaft.

Link

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God man! You've done it! You've infected your wife with the VW virus! That single act will ensure your VW hobby will last at least as long as your marriage! Seriously, nice to see!

Post a pic of your wire feed set-up, maybe it's not configured correctly. You bought a Lincoln didn't you? Nice to see some progress. If you need a welder to get past that nut, let me know, I could swing by with mine and help you out.

Happy New VW Year,

Bill

dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife I don't think loves the car like I do. She likes being with me, so she has decided to work on it with me.

As for the wire feed, I found that my Hobart Handler 125 welder is missing the mounting bracket for the tension bearing above the drive roll. I contacted Hobart support and they are sending me one free of charge. Awesome customer service.

I will be buying a big plastic bin this week to wash the engine parts. I am tempted to buy the steamer at Harbor Freight though.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

OK, almost a whole year and no posts = not good for the VW hobby. I'm guessing your family is multiplying or god forbid job issues? Hopefully not the later!

dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

No problems, luckily. Got a dog, who has been troublesome, but worth it. I also bought a Wrangler and have been working on that.
Still need to fit and weld the flooring, but lacking skill and motivation.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

Quote:
but lacking skill and motivation

Good sign that you are here on theSamba again; that you have not forgotten the car entirely.

I know your feeling- I was in the same mood for over a year, due to a very busy work schedule so that I usually needed a full Saturday just to veg out. Remember your '5 minutes a day" motivation from your earlier posts? It does work! A person at work gave me a spare H case longblock from a project car 2 years ago, which was frozen due to lots of rust in the cylinders. I started to disassemble it, but was only able to get one head off so far. The rocker assembly was also really pitted and looked to be scrap-worthy, as did the valve retainers. Once I had the rocker ass'y off, I remembered the tip here about using vinegar to dissolve rust. I thought I'd try it, putting the ass'y into a simple alu foil rectangular cake form tin. Let it sit for 2 days. After the first day I could see many small bubbles coming off the parts, indicating a chemical reaction. On the 2nd day I was able to wipe the rust off with just my fingers. I took the ass'y out and used a long-bristle wire brush to wipe off the rust, whcih only took a few brush strokes per swipe. Remarkable. So little effort to turn a seemingly hopeless part into a very presentable and serviceable one. The quick positive result bolstered my motivation. I plan to continue the engine disassembly over these holidays.

For you, maybe relegating 10 minutes a weekend would bring back some motivation. Remember- we are 2 days past the shortest day of the year- daylight is looking up, even if only a few minutes per day.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

Thanks Rome!

The last thing I did was disassemble the block. I really need to get all of the engine parts cleaned, organized and put away.

Once I can get the floorpan finished, I will rebuild the front end, and clean the cv joints, followed by an as needed only engine refresh.

I have a feeling that driving the chassis would be motivational.
joshlm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

I see it’s been 2 years since last posting? Any updates for us? Do you still have the bug, I hope so. Give us the run down
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

joshlm wrote:
I see it’s been 2 years since last posting? Any updates for us? Do you still have the bug, I hope so. Give us the run down

I do still have the bug; I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. I am currently patching the floor pans on my Jeep, but as soon as that is out of the garage I will weld the WW passenger floor pan onto the bug's frame.
I figure the Jeep is good practice learning how to weld. I also picked up some body saw horses from Beetlenut a few months ago.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

danno627 wrote:
joshlm wrote:

I do still have the bug; I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. I am currently patching the floor pans on my Jeep, but as soon as that is out of the garage I will weld the WW passenger floor pan onto the bug's frame.
I figure the Jeep is good practice learning how to weld. I also picked up some body saw horses from Beetlenut a few months ago.

Why yes you did, but I don't see the body sitting comfortably on them? I know Jeep first. I am actually making some progress. Reassembling my engine I finally got back, now that all my tin are back from the powder coater. Hoping this is the Summer I finally drive it!

joshlm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

Nice to hear that you still have the bug. I’m new to the samba and I’m getting ready to get my first VW in a couple weeks. Reading all these threads of people fixing up cars gives me Motivation and I hate to see when they go un answered for years at a time
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

Jeeps are way cool too. Cool It looks like the roll bar is protecting its sibling in the garage there. Hit the Beetle when it feels like fun and not a moment sooner!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: danno627's 1970 fixer-upper Reply with quote

After an embarrassingly long period of demotivation I am finally back at it. I got a 24" utility fan and a Milwaukee 1/4" cordless die grinder for my birthday and they have really helped with the project.

The chassis is in pretty decent shape with only a single rust hole (plus a few dings I put in with an air hammer while removing the floorpan Brick wall )

I made a patch with some left over steel from when I patched the floors in my Wrangler.

I then put the floorpan in place to make sure it fit over the patch.

My wife has been helping to motivate me and has been great company while I work on Harvey. I asked her if she wanted to punch a few holes in the floorpan with the Harbor Freight pneumatic hole punch. She enjoyed it and ended up doing pretty much the whole thing.

Link

Next I burned in the patch, ground it down, and sprayed it with weld through primer.

I fixed the dings I put in the floorpan channel and prepped it with some weld through primer. The next step is to weld in the floorpan itself Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: