Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subarugears Bus Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

I actually bought a pair of leather second row seats from an Aztec. They were brand new. Removed for s wheel chair conversion. Looked nice in bus but were too high.

Those stow n go's are on my wish list.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
A funky booster can cause strange problems. I had an issue with a "good" booster a few years ago that was holding vacuum but not releasing the brakes. Vacuum seemed to build up and unknown to me the brakes were slightly dragging. I adjusted everything I could and put on a new master. Nothing worked until I had the booster rebuilt.

New booster is on its way. Hopefully this solves my braking issues Brick wall
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Those T&C seats have more bolstering than the new Pacifica 2nd row Stow&Go seats I used .. which have basically none.
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Awesome work!!! Great looking bus. Thanks for the detail.

Have a 1.6l TD motor from an 86 Jetta. Coincidentally getting an H6 Outback as a daily this week.... Good are speaking to me as I'm getting two spare Subaru Outback's along with the deal. One is a 2.5 5-speed. Might be saving it for a potential swap.

Great inspiration either way!
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Got the new booster installed and the issue has been fixed. Working great now. So I went with this OE Brazil VW booster that was described as
"SLIGHT MODIFICATION REQUIRED""The mounting studs have a different spacing, so you will need to drill new holes in the mounting bracket to install." Doesn't sound to difficult right? Laughing I guess if they had said "don't make any other plans for the day" they wouldn't sell any.
Here is a side by side
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First issue (the biggest one): The "new hole" you need to drill in the mounting bracket are only half on the bracket (shown in the red square) so put the drill down and get out the (I want to) die grinder.
Next problem: That plate they give you has a lip to hold the boot down to the face or the booster, and guess what, the lip doesn't fit into the stock hole in the bus bracket. More grinding..
Third: Not a big one but worth mentioning. The vent pipe is larger on the new booster. The old one swaps over without issue

So after all that, here it is installed. I'm not happy with the result, but just had to get it movable.

For the time being I put several washers on the studs to makeup for that lip until I can grind out the circle a bit. Also I am planning to weld some extension pieces onto the mounting bracket so the studs are properly supported.

Is it wise to weld this bracket with the beam installed and full of grease? Would I be damaging anything from the heat of the welder? Probably better to ask first. Smile

O almost forgot: The new boosters boot is quite thinner than the original boot. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canucks! Tested out my homemade dash table, enjoying a Caesar waiting for the fireworks to start

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

After grinding out the center and extending the mounting plate, the new booster is sitting more securely. One less thing to worry about

pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an update!! Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
Most of the engine bay work has been completed. All that's left is to plumb in the expansion tank, do something with the vent lines, and connect the throttle cable.

Can you explain how you connected up/plumbed in the the expansion tank please, i cant get my head around how to do it!!
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an update!! Reply with quote

pkrboo wrote:
Can you explain how you connected up/plumbed in the the expansion tank please, i cant get my head around how to do it!!

Have a look here to get an understanding of how the system functions and for ideas
http://subaruvanagon.com/tom/Cooling%20System.htm
Many different ways you can set it up. This is how mine functions. Tank "T" into the lines circled in red.

Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
Time to tackle the seat upgrade. Did the Chrysler Town & Country "stow n go" ones the Vanagon peeps seem to like. Came out great.
I will put some install details in the "Other seats that fit my bus" thread some time next week for anyone that might want to install these seats.

Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ

Because a direct link to a thread is far better than making someone have to spend unproductive time searching for it.
The First Invasion

Last edited by Air_Cooled_Nut on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:

C'mon volks, upload pictures to The Samba gallery so they will remain preserved for others. This post isn't even a year old and the images are GONE Shame on you
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:
captincanuck wrote:

C'mon volks, upload pictures to The Samba gallery so they will remain preserved for others. This post isn't even a year old and the images are GONE Shame on you

I haven't been posting the parts of my build that I feel aren't directly VW related in the Samba gallery. If that rule is off the books now I have no problem uploading them.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:

I haven't been posting the parts of my build that I feel aren't directly VW related in the Samba gallery. If that rule is off the books now I have no problem uploading them.

1. In my opinion those image posts are related to your Bus build. I would like to see the work you put into it, I think the final result is really good.
2. I'm not familiar with that rule but I don't come here as often as I used to. If that's the case then don't even bother making such posts if the images are only temporary because they don't' do anyone any good (because they go away and thus are not archival) and they take up space -- unless such images can be hosted in a way that last years/decades.
3. Photobucket links should be banned (in ALL forums across the internet Laughing ), far too many people use it and then those images are gone in less than a year. Worthless.
The First Invasion
ZachL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Thought of your Bus when I saw today's Blipshift shirt. Get it while you can!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8710433#8710433

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

ZachL wrote:
Thought of your Bus when I saw today's Blipshift shirt. Get it while you can!

Nice. Thanks for the heads up. Ordered mine just in time Dancing
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Figured it was time for an update.
Made it out on several trips before the end of the summer in addition to just daily driving the bus around. After one long trip I had two things to note:

1) when I went to gas up I had some big time vacuum in the tank. Didn't effect the performance, probably because of my huge fuel outlet. Answer to that one was again the wasps Rolling Eyes seems they got into the open tank vent line and filled it up. d'oh! Easily fixed

2)Way back at the beginning of this build I installed the case vent as per the instructions from Subarugears, like so

Well on long enough travel with enough heat up the transmission vomits its oil up through this vent and all over the underside of the bus Crying or Very sad I will need to relocate it to behind the nose cone according to the newer SOP form Subarugears, just waiting for the snow to be gone to pull everything apart. For now I just attached a hose and a catch can so I keep from undercoating the bus

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Some spring projects:
Added the shocks from the Subaru as pop top lift assists. Work Great

2nd heater core up front for defrost. This one is from a Honda mini van, under the passenger seat

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Interested to hear how you like that heater core-looks like it fits well in the area. Did you weld the elbow for the heater tree to the core and then insert it up to the heater tree?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Interested to hear how you like that heater core-looks like it fits well in the area. Did you weld the elbow for the heater tree to the core and then insert it up to the heater tree?

The elbow was removed, cut straight and welded to the box that is then bolted to the front of the core. Unit then installs under the splash pan and plugs into the tree.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Good find! I've been thinking about relocating my front heater from under the dash to get a full glovebox (and some knee room) back anyway, and as a bonus that Odyssey piece is also available as a heat/AC unit. I'll have to take a closer look next time I hit the wrecking yard...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: