Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fabricated Body Dolly
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtracold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

So I thought I would share what I created as a body dolly for my Ghia while I set about restoration. Similar length, width etc as those made by others from 4x4's but I decided to go with metal and weld it together. Makes it a little more compact, let me mess with the welding machine that I need to get familiar with and comes apart pretty easy for future storage. My garage is the lower floor of a townhouse and this is awesome now for rolling in and out while I work on the chassis.

Drawings are available at https://cad.onshape.com/documents/873b2efdf9250228...ac24563018 if anyone wants to do similar.

Here are some shots of it complete, I did add a couple of cross braces as the legs were being driven outwards under load. With the cross bars it has not budged in 3 months. I also think if the cross bar what 2" tubing it would have been better...clearly there a number of ways to improve it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

That is an absolute necessity with a single car garage!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

Looks great. I may have splurged on bigger casters. That thing is tall.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xtracold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

Yeah the castors are marginal but do handle the load. In theory the body can be raised higher as it is adjustable, right now it is just right for clearing the shifter with the chassis up on those W14 sections of beam you can see to the side in one pic.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Looks great. I may have splurged on bigger casters. That thing is tall.
Yes, nice work.
If you want corroboration for what C21darrel said, read the fourth post down on page 8 of my build thread. Link below.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=140

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

Looks Good for it's purpose & you could probably break it down for storage or recycle it! Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
king_wrecks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

Awesome! That thing should alleviate or prevent lots of headaches. Am I correct in assuming the same measurements would work if built a dolly for a ‘74 Super?
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

With due respects and thanks to xtracoldf, here is my re-rendering of his original cad drawing; I am going to see what I can use for a dolly for my '71 Super beetle project. I need to
1) get it off and store it, allowing the chassis to fix/roll underneath 2) allow me to have access to the heater channels so I guess it would rule out resting on top of the channels, probably more like in the fender well areas that I have seen.
The other suggestion was to do much the same with 3/4" galvanized pipe.
Comments?

I am wondering if I could/would use some re-enforcement in some of the areas.. it looks pretty strong!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Fabricated Body Dolly Reply with quote

Put some triangular bracing in the corners

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: