Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

57 on a 63 pan pricing
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjjukebox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: 57 on a 63 pan pricing Reply with quote

Went and saw a decent 57 body that is sitting on a 63 pan with new floor sections.

Overall the car is pretty complete and I’d rate it fair condition. Hagerty puts a fair 57 at $6100. What if anything does the different pan take from the value.

I’m seeeing lots of ovals out there with swapped pans and trying to get a more knowledgeable opinion on the topic.

Thanks

Last edited by jjjukebox on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan price Reply with quote

When you go to sell it and want decent money for it then it will be a pain in the arse. If you are going to buy it and own it for the rest of your life then roll out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjukebox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan price Reply with quote

Thanks. That’s kinda what I was thinking.

Right now the guy has is priced higher than hagerty. Does anyone even care about hagerty price on these or is it more market rate/supply?
jjjukebox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan price Reply with quote

Right now the guy has is priced higher than hagerty. Does anyone even care about hagerty price on these or is it more market rate/supply?
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan pricing Reply with quote

The Hagarty prices are helpful in that they give a base for insuring estimated value for your full coverage if stolen or totaled. On my policy, I have an "agreed" value, which does fall in their value listings.
lucille66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan price Reply with quote

jjjukebox wrote:

You said Hagerty prices a fair 57 at $6100. Is that for a fair matching #s 57? or for a 57 on the 63 year pan? This does make a HUGE difference, as a lot of potential buyers will normally steer clear of a car that is on the wrong pan. I would try and find out what hagerty will insure the 57 on the 63 pan then go from there to see what the value is. it sounds like a lot of risk/gambling buying a car like that -

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438348&highlight=lucille66
jjjukebox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan price Reply with quote

lucille66 wrote:
jjjukebox wrote:

You said Hagerty prices a fair 57 at $6100. Is that for a fair matching #s 57? or for a 57 on the 63 year pan? This does make a HUGE difference, as a lot of potential buyers will normally steer clear of a car that is on the wrong pan. I would try and find out what hagerty will insure the 57 on the 63 pan then go from there to see what the value is. it sounds like a lot of risk/gambling buying a car like that -

Thank you. The Hagerty value is likely for the matching numbers and where my concern was coming from. You had the answer I was thinking was accurate.

I’ve decided to move on from this specific car for these reasons. Here’s to a matching number car in the near future! Dancing
jdub63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan pricing Reply with quote

If it's on a 63 pan, then it's probably a 63 title.
jjjukebox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan pricing Reply with quote

jdub63 wrote:
If it's on a 63 pan, then it's probably a 63 title.

It’s titled at a 57 somehow. Not sure if that’s a Washington thing or just a conveniently forgotten detail.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan pricing Reply with quote

Here in California my 63 on a 59 pan is titled as a 53

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan pricing Reply with quote

... is still a cool ride, a 57 on a '63 pan... it will always be worth less. if you care... I don't care about the numbers-matching thing... some buyers do care and that's all right...
...nice thing is, you should be getting it for less money and you'll be able to do the same, when you sell... there will always be a market for that car - at a cheaper price... GO FOR IT, if you like it.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lucille66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan pricing Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... is still a cool ride, a 57 on a '63 pan... it will always be worth less. if you care... I don't care about the numbers-matching thing... some buyers do care and that's all right...
...nice thing is, you should be getting it for less money and you'll be able to do the same, when you sell... there will always be a market for that car - at a cheaper price... GO FOR IT, if you like it.

I see what you're saying 100%. I have a friend that has a split window body on a later pan - he doesn't care so no big deal. The only reason this come into play - and for a lot of other vw owners out there - is that if something WERE to happen (god forbid) you crash it, it gets stolen, or damaged in some way - to the insurance companies : what is the car worth? How much are they going to agree on as far as value? A lof of companies that specialize in classic car insurance inspect the vehicle inside and out - so when its not a numbers matching car, has the wrong parts on it etc - all of this comes into account when determining a value. so with that being said - if this is a car that is basically worthless and just something to have fun with - then no big deal. but if it going to be a big investment money wise - you are going to want to make sure all of those things are in order first. there will be a market for "abortions" as some people on here like to put it - its just going to be worth a LOT less than a car that has the proper things in place and attention to details that a lot of people miss. how much are you willing to pay for a car that's basically worthless? Almost nothing because you will never get your return back on the money you spent. just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438348&highlight=lucille66
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 57 on a 63 pan pricing Reply with quote

... insurance... I have only liability, on all of my cars. Even on my new rides... once I pay it off, usually at an accelerated pace, I remove the required collision portion. Never had anything stolen, in my 70 years, ever. Always lived in a relatively safe place... never in a crime-infested area.

Accidents... don't want one, but if it happens, then it happens. Am willing to take the risk... have not been in an accident in almost 50 years.

These VWs are just things and eventually even we expire... forever... interesting to read, how serious some folks get about their material things...

If you are the type that needs insurance-protection, this may not be the car for you and you can play that game. I have no interest in that game and only liability and uninsured motorist, gives me enough piece of mind.

Ha, ha, ha, I would never spend thirty grand say on any old VW... a '56 on a '63 sounds perfect , for me (and maybe you)
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: