Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

I've been thinking of doing something similar with my hitch/bumper mounts. I would like to run an extension over to the driver side and then poke a vertical bracket up through the top of the bumper cover which would serve as the bolt-on base for a custom swing-out tire carrier. I just prefer the look of these bumpers over all the other options.

Oly Bulli
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I've been thinking of doing something similar with my hitch/bumper mounts. I would like to run an extension over to the driver side and then poke a vertical bracket up through the top of the bumper cover which would serve as the bolt-on base for a custom swing-out tire carrier. I just prefer the look of these bumpers over all the other options.

Shazam!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Behold. The hard way to make a tire carrier from a Pathfinder swing away.

The d-pillar plate mess will extend down to the horizontal tube to support the hinge weight. This became obvious part way through the mock up.

I will get back to it some day. Look forward to seeing how you do it. 🙂
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
I went a bit overkill. I modified the OEM brackets for the fiberglass bumper.

Plated the OEM brackets. Note the tube is mechanically sectioned through the brackets as I didnít want a place for my welds to fail.

Notched in the receiver. 2Ē quarter wall tube. Gusset plates for reinforcing.

Notched the fiberglass bumper.

I plan to hand a ktm motorcycle off this. Thinkers crossed?

it looks like you made the part that slides into the frame longer than the original bumper bracket. how long or how far does it slide into the frame?
1990 vw automatic camper
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

Quote:

it looks like you made the part that slides into the frame longer than the original bumper bracket. how long or how far does it slide into the frame?[/quote]

I did so i could add a third mounting bolt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
pushkick wrote:
that looks very sturdy should hold a motorcycle. was that a 2" X 3/16" square tube? did you use 3/16" steel for the bumper brackets? nice work! what do you think the hitch weighs?

Yes and yes. The whole shebang isnít that heavy. Itís pretty easy to lift. Maybe 50#?

I should warn one issue. If you plate the inside of the OEM brackets the space between the bumper mounting bolts will widen the width of your added plates. It wasnít an issue for me because I had to rebuild my fiberglass bumpers as they were trashed when I got them. And I was modifying the brackets to accommodate. What was a few more holes?

do you have a cad drawing/pdf of the bracket that goes in the frame? that is all i need to start on mine.
1990 vw automatic camper
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

pushkick wrote:
rmcd wrote:
pushkick wrote:
that looks very sturdy should hold a motorcycle. was that a 2" X 3/16" square tube? did you use 3/16" steel for the bumper brackets? nice work! what do you think the hitch weighs?

Yes and yes. The whole shebang isnít that heavy. Itís pretty easy to lift. Maybe 50#?

I should warn one issue. If you plate the inside of the OEM brackets the space between the bumper mounting bolts will widen the width of your added plates. It wasnít an issue for me because I had to rebuild my fiberglass bumpers as they were trashed when I got them. And I was modifying the brackets to accommodate. What was a few more holes?

do you have a cad drawing/pdf of the bracket that goes in the frame? that is all i need to start on mine.

Sorry but unless cad is short for cardboard? Smile

I started with these and started adding plates that I mocked up with cardboard.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2095493

I whittled down a piece of C-channel inside the OEM brackets. Then I used a cutout wheel on a grinder to cut out the plate shapes and started to melty things together carefully not to warp them too much. It took a couple layers of plate to make them flat on each side to accept the final plate with captive nuts.

Itís a great starter fabrication project. Just think ahead when building it. The only fiddly thing is the captive bolts in the new plates. It is never easy for me to weld in captive nuts and have them line up properly later down the road. It is my Kirk versus Kahn role in life.

Also. Remember to consider the relative location of the fiberglass bumper mounting holes and remember to allow access spaces to some of the inside bumper mounting holes. Itís hard to eat the tator tots out of the breakfast burrito after you weld it shut.

Good luck and ask questions.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hitch for fiberglass bumper Reply with quote

Well, you're no help at all. When we demand to be spoon-fed information, we expect to be spoon-fed information with a smile and a twinkle in the eye.

I hope those pics stay up for a while, 'cause I intend to follow your lead at some point.

Oly Bulli
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: