Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 engine in a 73 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

My 73 came with a 74 AH motor, complete with a 74 fan shroud. Obviously the heater hose to the heater box (for a real 74) have now where to go. What should I do? Is it worth trying to find a 73 fan shroud? What do others do? Is it ok to leave the snorkels, on the shroud open? Do I cap them off?

Planning on leaving the heater boxes attached, as it has no effect, that I can see.

This forum has been very helpful, for my newbie questions.

PS I致e tried to find other threads, but either I知 using the wrong search words, or this topic does not exists.
Arkansauced
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

An original 73 shroud will set you back $300. I would suggest the plugs below.

http://www.jbugs.com/product/9151.html

You could also buy an aftermarket 36hp style doghouse shroud, but samba knowledge base will tell you that the OEM shroud cools better due to internal vanes (although I think the Scat shroud has these as well)

I recently saw a 73 Thing style shroud that is being remanufactured very similar to the original, anyone have a link to that?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

Arkansauced wrote:
I recently saw a 73 Thing style shroud that is being remanufactured very similar to the original, anyone have a link to that?

I make no personal recommendation since i've not seen/tested one personally. From the picture, it's missing the mounts for the coil and the fitting in the upper right for the charcoal canister. Also the indent for the air cleaner.

http://usstore.concept1.ca/Fan-Shroud-W-OHeat-W-Holes-COOLED.1.2-62217/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Real 73 Type 181 (Thing) shroud.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

If you think you will ever drive your vehicle during cold weather then figure out how to hook up the exhaust heat. I had a '73 which I added the heater boxes to and all the rest of the heater related pieces. I dumped one heater box under the rear seat and routed the other up through the rear deck. This made for a very toast ride when combined with the gas heater.

I didn't have any controls up front for the heater, just a jury rigged system to open the flappers come late fall and close them again when warmer weather arrived in the spring. I intend to do the same to my present '73 someday.
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, so I知 not planning on driving in the Winter. If I do, it値l be just several layers of clothes, and some warm gloves. Heck, I知 not even thinking about a top for the summer.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

FYI
racquetballs fit perfect in the heater hose holes on a fan shroud
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
FYI
racquetballs fit perfect in the heater hose holes on a fan shroud

I cut soda cans in two and used screw clamps to hold the bottoms of the cans over the outlets.
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

What about the holes on the tins leading to the heater boxes? And along those lines, does it make sense to eliminate tha heater boxes, and/or replace the j-tubes?
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

Ok, I think it been determined that I have a 74 Beetle, or Super Beetle (if there is a difference), iengine in my 73 Thing. Since I have no use for the forced air heat, of a 74 engine, my question is this:

Do I cap off the the fan shroud snorkel and holes in the engine tin to the heater manifold, or do I leave it alone and run flexible heater hoses, to the exhaust heaters? Obviously, any airflow to the heater would just exhaust into open.

I have read that closing the snorkel can have an adverse effect on cooling.

Thanks for everyone痴 help. The information I知 getting is quite informative.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 engine in a 73 Thing Reply with quote

4118thing wrote:
Ok, I think it been determined that I have a 74 Beetle, or Super Beetle (if there is a difference), iengine in my 73 Thing. Since I have no use for the forced air heat, of a 74 engine, my question is this:

Do I cap off the the fan shroud snorkel and holes in the engine tin to the heater manifold, or do I leave it alone and run flexible heater hoses, to the exhaust heaters? Obviously, any airflow to the heater would just exhaust into open.

I have read that closing the snorkel can have an adverse effect on cooling.

Thanks for everyone痴 help. The information I知 getting is quite informative.

I have mine blocked at present. Is this the best? I do not know. Maybe blocking 1/2 of the area of the opening would be better? Without some testing there is no way to know for sure. One would need both a Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge and a properly located Oil Temperature Gauge to be able to determine what is best here.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: