Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

Was the titian red Syncro fully loaded with roof racks and a serious off roader? We saw that on our way out as well. I think it was a Gowesty guy heading out for a Race.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Was the titian red Syncro fully loaded with roof racks and a serious off roader? We saw that on our way out as well. I think it was a Gowesty guy heading out for a Race.

Stacy

I think that was either RJ and family from Ventura (we ran into them near San Quintin). It could have been me — I have a Titian Red Syncro but no roof racks.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

What? That's it? Sad Want more, more, more!!!!

Seriously, awesome pics and story, and thanks to you and Paulbeard for the lesson on the popcorn emoji. I love that one.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
16CV's wrote:

Stacy

I think that was either RJ and family from Ventura (we ran into them near San Quintin). It could have been me — I have a Titian Red Syncro but no roof racks.

The one we saw looked to be very tricked out and had surfboards on top.

Dave, I still can't believe we were in San Ignacio at the same time and didn't cross paths! I blame my dependence on Wifi...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

I also forgot to mention another item that we had for the trip, the Rocky Mtn Westy locking drawer.

https://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Locking_Storage_Drawer_Front_Passengers_Seat_p/rmw-lsd01pa.htm

It gave my wife serious peace of mind to have a safe on board where we could keep our passports and such.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

awesome thanks for sharing!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

Joe, is that the 5cuft roofbag I sold you I spy on the roof.

that was back in 2007.

certainly glad to see it still used/useful. I've worn thru a couple in that time myself.

awesome trip and report, thank you for that...

Dan in Syracuse.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

that was back in 2007.

certainly glad to see it still used/useful. I've worn thru a couple in that time myself.

Dan, that is the very same bag you sold me in 2007. It has a few little holes here and there that I've patched with Gorilla tape, but it's still solid and very useful. The zippers are still rock solid. I'd say it was a good value! Thanks again!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

Joe, PM me your address and I'll send you a new one, if you put that one out to the parts karma/pass it along bit.

I'd deliver it myself but we're only 75% sure we're headed thru Denver this fall on a Yellowstone/Glacier trip.

Dan

joetiger wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

that was back in 2007.

Dan, that is the very same bag you sold me in 2007. It has a few little holes here and there that I've patched with Gorilla tape, but it's still solid and very useful. The zippers are still rock solid. I'd say it was a good value! Thanks again!

designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
We had no good choices. I was not feeling like a responsible dad and husband at this point.

how many times have i thought this on our trips. When it would have just been sooooo much easier to take the suburban and get a hotel ... NEVAH!

Excellent read, sir, i'm gonna dig in to the gear post and poach some items.

-cc-

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

Awesome write up Joe, just seeing it for the first time! Looks like a great trip. We didn't make it south of the border on our last trip out west but plan to try again this winter. Looks like I need to add a couple of the places you camped to my list.
bokonon42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

I bookmarked this and return it to every now and again for inspiration. Some day....

btw, did you ever make it up to PNW and post another awesome trip report like this?
-terry
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

bokonon42 wrote:
I bookmarked this and return it to every now and again for inspiration. Some day....

btw, did you ever make it up to PNW and post another awesome trip report like this?
-terry

Thanks Terry! We did and we didn't...We flew to Seattle last summer, rented a van from Peace Vans, and went up to the San Juans. It was a nice visit, but we learned that camping in one place for five days is not our favorite way to do it. We're planning on visiting Oregon for our summer trip this year, a big 18-day excursion if we can get it sorted out.

We just did a trip to NM:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691810&start=20

This is the definitive trip report database:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6253311#6253311

Some of the reports are old and some photos are dead, but that collection of threads are probably my favorite thing about this forum. I love trip reports and would love to see more of them.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

Great trip report. We must have passed you going the opposite direction. We left Mulege and had lunch at San Ignacio on Monday March 26 and crossed the border at Mexicali on Thursday the 29th. Must have passed you on the detour.
I want to wave at all Vanagons, but since we go to Baja in our Dodge truck with Camper I figure people would think I'm nuts. We did camp several nights next to Tobias Duncan.

We can talk Baja at Syncro Solstice.
JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Denver to Baja and Back--Trip Report (Pic heavy!) Reply with quote

Great story about a good family and the proper use of these 35 year old Vanagons. Way to go Dad!
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: