Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injection type engine cooling tin.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinhood_1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

Could anyone confirm or not if the cylinder engine tin from a fuel injected engine with its different outer shape where it meets the sides of the engine bay will fit on a non fuel injected engine?

I have a 1971 engine, but its in a 75 car which has the fuel injected engine bay shape which curves out at both sides rather than the standard straight edges of all pre-75 carburetor engines.

Absolutely nobody seems to make this shape of engine tin aftermarket and without it there are big gaps between the edge of the earlier incorrect fitting tin and the engine bay seal.

I see a few examples online of second hand fuel injected tin for quite a lot of money so want to know first if they'll definitely fit or if something will prevent it. Also, would later Mexican beetles have the same tin? I assume they were fuel injected? Though even if that would work, I haven't been able to find an online source of Mexican parts as I don't speak Spanish and English searches are yielding nothing.

Many thanks.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

yes it should fit you might have to seal a hole or two

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

a quick search shows the Mexican tin is different than German where it meets in the front corners
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robinhood_1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

Thanks Rick.

Is that engine bay seal the standard one for the 75-79 model? I've ordered a replacement as the one on mine is completely disintegrated but that one in your photo looks nice and big to cover any small gaps around the edge.

It was also suggested to me by enthusiasts back home in England that I could use a Bay Window camper engine bay seal that is apparently quite hefty and made out of foam?

Either way I've ordered a new seal the other day so should have it by next week.

I bought the car at the end of last summer and am only just getting around to sorting it out now after a long Canadian winter lay up and with all the wrong or missing parts in the engine bay you could see more road than anything else. The engine is out now so its the time to get it done.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

I used the foam seal on my 78. Very easy to install. I couldn't get the rubber seal to fit.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

Instead of changing the tin (it fits, sort of...) consider adding sheet metal "ears" to what you have now, I've done a couple and just attached it using the screws near the spark plug holes. If you are handy with pliers you can turn the edge like the OG tin, but even a flat sheet of 20ga will fill the gap.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
robinhood_1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Instead of changing the tin (it fits, sort of...) consider adding sheet metal "ears" to what you have now, I've done a couple and just attached it using the screws near the spark plug holes. If you are handy with pliers you can turn the edge like the OG tin, but even a flat sheet of 20ga will fill the gap.

That's not a bad idea at all. I might as well give that a go before forking out for the best part of a hundred bucks including postage for something that may well be in worse condition than the incorrect tin I have now.
robinhood_1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I used the foam seal on my 78. Very easy to install. I couldn't get the rubber seal to fit.

Already ordered the 75-79 rubber seal so hopefully I can get it in but if not its good to know the foam seal is another option. Thanks!
390nellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

What vender sells the foam seals?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

390nellie wrote:
What vender sells the foam seals?

http://www.jbugs.com/product/411-225.html
390nellie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

How about the firewall seal? Do they make a foam seal for the firewall or must I use a rubber one?
robinhood_1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

I may end up having to go down the foam route regardless because yesterday as I was removing the old one, it became apparent that a section of the groove that the seal slots in to has perished on the right hand side of the engine bay for about 8 inches and I don't think there will be enough left to get the new seal in to.
From What I understand with the foam seal is that you fit it on to the edges of your engine in rather than in to the groove and can be done with the engine in, in fact it probably has to be done with the engine in, not sure.

Not sure about the firewall part. I haven't take the old one out of there yet and I'm hoping that it'll be ok to fit the replacement rubber one in but if not I'll try the foam there too. I don't think they do a special one for there, but perhaps there's enough in the roll that you get to do the whole thing? Not really sure how you'd fit the foam seal in there though with the engine in as there will be zero access with the fan shroud in the way and if you had to put it in before the engine went back in, no idea if/how you'd secure it in place because obviously it wouldn't slot in to the grooves where the original rubber one goes in.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

Yes, the bus foam seal is installed with the engine in. They work really well on T1-based cars too, and a few people here have many thousands of miles on theirs. One seal should be enough to do a bug and a half, so experimenting with a few inches of the seal is fine. Shiny/smooth side down.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robinhood_1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection type engine cooling tin. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Yes, the bus foam seal is installed with the engine in. They work really well on T1-based cars too, and a few people here have many thousands of miles on theirs. One seal should be enough to do a bug and a half, so experimenting with a few inches of the seal is fine. Shiny/smooth side down.

Robbie

Thanks,
It'll certainly be my back up plan then if I can't get the rubber seal I've ordered to fit in / attach due to that broken bit of grooving on one side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: