Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door locking system
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Door locking system Reply with quote

Hi

I have bought a 1954 oval window bug, but the passenger door canīt lock from the inside.
I had a 1956 oval bug and other bugs where the handle should go forward for locking the door.
On this one it should go all the way back and then the metal stick goes out on the lock, but when Iīm not holding the handle it just goes back in again when you push on the lock at the side and you can open the door as if it wasnīt locked at all.
Does pre 55 bugs lock by turning the handel backwards and what could be the problem?
As to the same I need to put the drivers side handle forward to open the door from the inside, on my former bugs I pushed it backwards. The drivers door has no problems in locking from the outside using the key.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Steven.
vw113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Door locking system Reply with quote

Hi

Anyone has had this problem too that the door canīt lock from the inside on a 1954 oval bug?

Regards Steven.
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the '54 the door handles should mount horizontaly facing to the back, you push down on the back of the handle to open the door and pull up on the back of the passenger handle to lock the door, the handle should stay up while its locked, I have always just locked my door from the inside and get out thru the drivers door, I guess you are supposed to just pull up on the handle and slam the door shut with the rod sticking out but everything better be lubed up good and working just right to slam it shut while locked, I quit trying to do this because it seems to be really hard on the mechanism and especially on the latch plate, just takes a few extra seconds to always lock it from the inside while the door is shut and its much easier on the mechanism
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
vw113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
on the '54 the door handles should mount horizontaly facing to the back, you push down on the back of the handle to open the door and pull up on the back of the passenger handle to lock the door, the handle should stay up while its locked, I have always just locked my door from the inside and get out thru the drivers door, I guess you are supposed to just pull up on the handle and slam the door shut with the rod sticking out but everything better be lubed up good and working just right to slam it shut while locked, I quit trying to do this because it seems to be really hard on the mechanism and especially on the latch plate, just takes a few extra seconds to always lock it from the inside while the door is shut and its much easier on the mechanism

Hi

Iīm trying to lock the door from the inside by pushing the inside door handle back up, but it doesnīt lock. When I donīt hold the inside handle up, the latch just goes back as itīs unlocked and I can go open the door from the outside.
I have tried to do it with the door open, when I hold the inside handle with my hand I canīt push the latch in again, but when I remove my hand from the inside door handle I can push the latch in easily with one finger. What could then be wrong?

Regards Steven.
vicky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Door locking system Reply with quote

vw113 wrote:
Hi

I have bought a 1954 oval window bug, but the passenger door canīt lock from the inside.
I had a 1956 oval bug and other bugs where the handle should go forward for locking the door.
On this one it should go all the way back and then the metal stick goes out on the lock, but when Iīm not holding the handle it just goes back in again when you push on the lock at the side and you can open the door as if it wasnīt locked at all.
Does pre 55 bugs lock by turning the handel backwards and what could be the problem?
As to the same I need to put the drivers side handle forward to open the door from the inside, on my former bugs I pushed it backwards. The drivers door has no problems in locking from the outside using the key.

Regards Steven.

I had the same problem on my (57) Oval. After taking things apart I noticed that the wrong type of lock and lock mechanism were installed. Probably parts for door that can be locked with a key. After replacing this, the hardware between the inside handle and the actual lock, things worked just fine again
original ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Door locking system Reply with quote

I have a 1954 sedan. I am having problems with the door not latching the second time or the door will not stay latched or close completely. Any thoughts?? Thanks, Gregg.
beetle683
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Door locking system Reply with quote

i have a 1957 oval beetle right hand drive , the passenger door does not lock , even when i get someone to hold the inside lever in the locked position it can still be opened from the outside ? any help on this appreciated
elcomicguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Door locking system Reply with quote

could the lock have been replaced with an earlier mechanism??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: