Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kit car wiring issue
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
froggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: kit car wiring issue Reply with quote

I have a 79 Bremen mini mark that I bought from my aunt. There were a lot of melted wires but I have replaced all of them but nothing happens when I turn the key.

funner than a bathtub full of fish hooks!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some basics, is it all or part after market or some VW or what..... What do you mean, nothing happens.... Dead battery, battery cable connected. power at ignition switch... Power on ign or acc terminals with key on wires disconnect at coil, wire disconnected at starter...... Need a few more clues.... because with your description it could be anything even fact toaster is not plugged in in kitchen....

A tool like this could be your new best friend....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to look at each of the wires at the switch. There are probably some incomplete circuits there. VW ignition circuits are pretty straight forward. I have an idea that if you search the site for an ignition circuit diagram, you will find tons of info on the subject. If you still don't find what you need to know, post up here and we will help you.

B
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just replaced the melted wires without correcting the cause of the problem, you're really fortunate nothing has happened when you turn on the key.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traded for a Gazelle a coupla' months back. Fiberglass cars in general have grounding issues if not done right. I had to do a lot of re-wiring to get the lights, brake lights, horn, etc. working.

A few years back, I bought a Mini-Mark off eBay. I've been told (and read) that these were only offered as factory built cars. The original grounding system was lightweight. To the frame, I grounded a piece of copper lead wire 1/8" in diameter. Under the luggage area, I attached that wire to a buss bar from an old house electrical panel. That spread out a whole lot of places to ground circuits. After a few hours of work, everything came back to life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF one uses frame for grounds just be sure you clean contact area for connection of all rust, dirt, paint and it will be fine, over sized ground conductor never hurt anything....

A little dielectric grease on clean connection never hurt anything either....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
remrev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: kit car wiring issue Reply with quote

Greetings!
Not sure if anybody is around this section but I am in need of help. I have a "Gazelle" and I think it is a CMC but I am unsure. There are no plates on it and I have no manual for it. I picked it up as an unfinished kit and am getting to work. One of the things I need is the wiring diagram. I have the harness but little idea of what goes where. Any assistance would be a great help!
Thanks!
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: kit car wiring issue Reply with quote

Most likely your wiring harness is aftermarket and does not have the full circuitry of a beetle. There are numerous places on the internet showing late 60's wiring diagrams. That will get you to the basic wiring of most kit cars. I've built 4 of them and have owned a couple more. They turn out pretty easy following a beetle wiring diagram. Before buttoning up or wrapping up the harness to the rear, I always run at least 2 additional wires in case I want to run an electric cooling fan on an outside oil cooler or backup lights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: kit car wiring issue Reply with quote

This link will take you to a listing of most years of VW "stock" wiring harnesses...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

Whether your harness is "stock" or after market or completely unusable, there is help to be had on the Samba....

Need to know a little more about details of harness...

If you have original VIN number of chassis, it will give you a clue to what year chassis is and possibly what you need to know about harness...

Look at portion of tunnels just ahead of access plate for shifter for VIN code,...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just ignore lines and numbers on graphic for shortening chassis for Manx style body and look for circle with VIN next to it... And if number is there, match it with numbers from this chart...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: