Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on tires
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peaceful Acres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Advice on tires Reply with quote

Just found this forum and looking for general advice but also have a specific need re tires. Have had my 56 bug since 1970. It's in my garage. I'm in wildfire country in Northern California and would like to be able to hitch it up and pull it out with me if the worst happens.

The tires are basically no good. I have original rims and need to put on new tires. Ideally, someone can come to my house and help if I get the right tires.

It came with white walls.

Any advice on getting tires close to original and getting them installed? Right now, I just want to be able to tow it.

Thanks
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on tires Reply with quote

I'm no help on the whitewalls (I have a late model) but this website seems to have a wide selction (& good prices) on tires

I ordered and they were delivered in 2 days to my house.

Search by your rim size, they probably have something for you.

https://simpletire.com/
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on tires Reply with quote

There are several specialty sources for whitewall tires. This shop has come up a few times and makes whitewalls starting with existing new tires (like retreading, but for the sidewall.) They have about the lowest prices. Another common place to get whitewall tires, both radial and bias ply, would be Coker tire. They specialize in old restored cars and period correct tires.

A set of modern P165/80R15 tires should be available from any local tire shop. They will work well for a lot less money, but won't be whitewalls.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on tires Reply with quote

Your car would have came standard fitament with a 5.60x15 tire

I, myself, prefer the Firestone branded Whitewall. Not only do they gave a wide 2-3/4” whitewall, but they are readily available too. Coker Tires (Tennessee) bought the copyrights and have been producing them for a number of years now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on tires Reply with quote

the cheapest is 165/80/r15 they slightly bigger than original. i just payed 50 a piece delivered. or 155r15 made by firestone, almost same size but double the money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on tires Reply with quote

I have 165/80-15 Nexen SB802's. It was about $200 delivered from Amazon and they are pretty decent looking for a radial tire.
Peaceful Acres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on tires Reply with quote

Thanks for all this great info. I know where to start looking.

Smile

Time to rebirth the '56 VW.

Second owner, Christmas present in 1970.
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on tires Reply with quote

I run US Royal 2 1/4" white wall 560-15 bias play tires. Coker tires is manufacturing them now also.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/us-royal-tires/560-15-u-s-royal-2-1-4-whitewall-tire.html

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on tires Reply with quote

If just for towing, why not get the cheapest 165 tire you can?

White walls from Coker aren’t cheap

165’s from Summit Racing are $50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on tires Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
If just for towing, why not get the cheapest 165 tire you can?

White walls from Coker aren’t cheap

165’s from Summit Racing are $50

If it is just for towing, yes, get something cheaper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: