Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering column parts breakdown
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys kick ass! Steering column all back together, horn works correctly, steering column sleeve doesn't move around and the base collar (Part 22) is properly indexed. I was trying to install it from the bottom, but it goes in from the top and down.

The turn signal cancel is even properly adjusted! Cool

Can't think of any bus I have ever driven or owned where ALL of this simple shit actually worked as intended. Laughing

Now, about that shifter....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68watermelon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Anyone know where I can buy the mounting piece thets right below 29 ( the only thing on that page that isn't numbered) for my 69 bus? The bars that hold the nuts broke off on mine Crying or Very sad
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Try Ken Masson at Busco
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
That's what I'm talking about. Why does Ratwell have the breakdown without the numbers? Usually an IPC shows the diagrams and that's followed by a list of the part numbers.

The Ratwell diagrams are taken from a series of Parts Books put out by VW circa the early 90s which were based on the microfiches. They did not have the part numbers - just the exploded diagrams. Their main benefit was that they showed late Bay parts. The second diagram posted above with the relevant part numbers is from the early Bay Parts Book and only goes up to about '72. Fine if you've got an early Bay but not if you've got a Late as so many parts changed.
You can't beat having the original microfiches (and reader) for Late Bay parts.
Ask me how I know!
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Can someone tell me if the steering column tube can be moved up or down with the steering wheel disconnected and the cover plate removed? I'm halfway though fixing the wire tab on the bottom of the tube. It would be a lot easier to fix if it slid up or down and inch or two.

Thanks

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

the tube will slide in the pod with some effort. you need to make sure you don't rotate it, as the steering lock won't pop into the shaft. there is also a plastic bushing/insulator around the cut out for the steering lock pin. make sure you don't lose it otherwise you may get a beeeeeeeeeeep every time the key is on

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Thanks skills. Just seeing this now. I'm afraid I twisted it slightly while moving it up. Hopefully I didn't damage anything. I've been twenty minutes trying to get the dam plastic isolator back on. Still don't have it on to my satisfaction. Any tricks with that?

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

I install the plastic isolator into the floor plate, then drop the tube into it. you need to squeeze the isolator to fit into the plate. the floor plate has to be 100% STRAIGHT where the bushing snaps into it.

I have seen many where the top of the plate is caved in as if someone pushed the whole thing towards the ground.

hope that makes sense. also, the bushing only goes 1 way...there is a notch for the ground lug on it. it should go towards the nose of the bus

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Makes perfect sense. I had to step away from it or I was going to do something stupid with a hammer that I'd regret. I think the issue is the plate is bent.

That comes from paint shop pushing the bus around without a dash for 3 months.

I noticed there is play at the top of column by steering wheel. It isn't much but is this normal? I assume there is a bearing in there. Perhaps it's time to remove and service.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
I noticed there is play at the top of column by steering wheel. It isn't much but is this normal? I assume there is a bearing in there. Perhaps it's time to remove and service.

Without the steering wheel on and the spring under the wheel putting tension on the bearing, the column will normally be a bit loose in the tube.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Steering wheel is back on. Still got a little more play than before and also noticed the column doesn't seem to be as low as before. I have tried everything to slide it down and it won't move without spinning it and I don't want to do that again as per skills comments. Also noticed the signal cancel is not touching the cancel ring on back of wheel. Horn works though. Pop riveted a new terminal on bottom of column and finally reinstalled the isolator.

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Steering column Assembly T2a Reply with quote

To link to post
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8516972#8516972]Steering column Assembly T2a[/url]

open link for "parts breakdown on the previous page"
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1685808.jpg

On mine, Using the parts breakdown on the previous page, I started by threading the horn ground wire through the steering column (#7) & mounted the steering column (#7) to the coupling disc (#2)

Then I assembled the mounting plate (cap, lower (#23)) & grommet (#22) at the bottom, there are alignment tabs in that grommet, two on the OD for the lower cap (#23)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This needs to be compressed & inserted into (#23) with the slot in the ID for the contact for the wire facing towards the front of the vehicle.

The ID of the grommet (#22) also has a tab to align in the notch in the bottom of the steering tube (#9) (shown without being installed in the lower cap (#23)

I then slid the lower cap (#23) & grommet (#22) over the column (#7) (with the turn signal switch wiring threaded through it) then slid the lock housing over the column (#7) & threaded the harnesses through the dash & mounted the lock housing to the steering column bracket (#16).

Then I slid the cushion (#26) onto the steering column tube (#9) and attached the insulating washer (#12) onto the column tube with some electrical tape to hold it in place & then slid this over the steering column (#7) & through the lock housing and into the grommet (#22) and attached the horn connection to the terminal on the bottom of the column tube (#9). With that attached, I secured the lower cap (#23) to the floor.

Then, slid the cushion (#26) into the lock housing, inserted the washer (#27) and lock ring (#28 )

And secured them (these pics are with the old column, I didn't take detailed pics when assembling in my bus.)

I then installed the insulating washer (#12) onto the lock housing.

After that, I slid the turn signal housing over the top of the lock housing.

Before the turn signal switch housing is tightened, this can be adjusted up & down to the bottom of the steering wheel to properly engage the canceling tab (#33) on the steering wheel.

Since I never removed the bearing (#10) from the column tube (#9), I lubed the bearing & I installed the thrust ring (#36) and the compression spring (#37), installed the steering wheel & adjusted the turn signal switch housing so that the self canceling fingers on the turn signal switch engaged the self cancellation ring (#33).

edited and added to Tech Tips
Tcash
8/29/17

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Great thread here - just what I was looking for..

Does anyone know how to keep the turn signal switch from being too loose? It appears I have all the parts except #12. No matter how tight I get the screws on the turn signal housing, it doesn't stay in one place and wants to move around. Was thinking about trying to make a plastic shim of sorts to give the turn signal housing more to bite onto..
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Mine had a piece of cloth electrical tape where the clamp would make contact.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Ry-dog wrote:

Does anyone know how to keep the turn signal switch from being too loose? It appears I have all the parts except #12. No matter how tight I get the screws on the turn signal housing, it doesn't stay in one place and wants to move around. Was thinking about trying to make a plastic shim of sorts to give the turn signal housing more to bite onto..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=406853

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Quote:
Ry-dog wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=406853

Thanks for the link busdaddy - good method to tighten up that turn signal switch..
grungeant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

What does it mean if there's a little forward and back play in my steering column inside the tube?

I replaced my steering coupler about 1 year ago, and noticed my steering wheel sits about 1/4" higher now. I assumed my new coupler must be a little thicker. I made a plastic spacer out of PVC to move the turn signal switch up a little bit.
The new coupler isn't as rigid as the original one, and I'm guessing it must flex a little when I am turning hard, like parallel parking?
I've also knocked the horn wire off the spade at above the coupler a few times while parallel parking.
The column also moves up and down slightly innthe tube while turning.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make my steering column not move in the tube?
Do I need to replace a bearing or bushing?
It's quiet and turns smooth, so I didn't think it was a bearing.

"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

grungeant wrote:
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make my steering column not move in the tube?

With the steering wheel nut tightened down, the entire steering column is one rigid unit, and there is nowhere else for in/out movement to
happen except at the flexible steering coupler. Just replace that floppy thing with a better part if you don't like the movement.

grungeant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

Ok, but what about the little bit of forward and back?
Does that sound like a bad bushing near the top of the tube?
It doesn't really feel like sloppy play. It more feels like rubber giving a little, but I don't know how much is considered normal.

"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column parts breakdown Reply with quote

How hard are you pulling/pushing on it? Light pressure shouldn't move it, but if you are yanking on it with your full weight it's bound to flex a little.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: