Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the forum, starting with an engine!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

Nice to see the forum exercising restraint.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

Quote:
I really want to go with a post '69 for the better suspension, but there's so many pre '69s and very few post! Which seems like it should be the other way around...?

check the phoenix craigslist, then el paso and denver.

someone is selling 5 bugs in cedar crest, 5 cars for $1500, one yellow '70, a 67 baja, and three shells to leave at the target range.

There are 5 ads, for 9 cars, on the ABQ craigslist at this moment

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
startwithengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:

check the phoenix craigslist, then el paso and denver.

someone is selling 5 bugs in cedar crest, 5 cars for $1500, one yellow '70, a 67 baja, and three shells to leave at the target range.

There are 5 ads, for 9 cars, on the ABQ craigslist at this moment

Great, thanks for the info. I'm keeping a very close eye on all NM craigslist, as well as on Samba classifieds. but I'm in no hurry to jump on anything, so waiting for something that's exactly right. Also no way in hell I would be able to get 5 bugs from Cedar crest to my house, but I wish Laughing

Vanapplebomb wrote:
That’s a 1967 air cleaner, one year only...and don’t hook the heater duct to the intake snorkel like that. Likely will make things more difficult to tune...won’t do any noticeable good at the best...also, might cause engine leaks at the pulley end because you are working against the crank case ventilation... Wink

Nice project though. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info on the air cleaner. I will be sure to take that tube off. The dude who gave it to me said that's where it goes...

Seems like a lot of folks are sorta laughing at this thread, but like I said, I'm not in a super huge rush to get this project done, and even though it's unorthodox I'm still going with it!
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

...unless you knew a retired guy with a car hauler with a winch in San Antonio

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

startwithengine wrote:

Vanapplebomb wrote:
That’s a 1967 air cleaner, one year only...and don’t hook the heater duct to the intake snorkel like that. Likely will make things more difficult to tune...won’t do any noticeable good at the best...also, might cause engine leaks at the pulley end because you are working against the crank case ventilation... Wink

Nice project though. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info on the air cleaner. I will be sure to take that tube off. The dude who gave it to me said that's where it goes...

Seems like a lot of folks are sorta laughing at this thread, but like I said, I'm not in a super huge rush to get this project done, and even though it's unorthodox I'm still going with it!

I understand man, no hard feelings. Hey, everyone has to start somewhere. These forums have a wealth of i formation, and a lot of guys who really know their stuff who you will come to really appreciate. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
startwithengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:

I understand man, no hard feelings. Hey, everyone has to start somewhere. These forums have a wealth of i formation, and a lot of guys who really know their stuff who you will come to really appreciate. Wink

Yeah, everyone on here has been super helpful.

Mal evolent wrote:
...unless you knew a retired guy with a car hauler with a winch in San Antonio

Wow thanks for the offer that's really generous but honestly I have no idea where I would put 5 bugs... or even 2. I'm really limited space wise to one since I already have a jeep taking up space. I should talk to some people locally though, maybe someone wants to split it or something.
startwithengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

Actually, those 5 bugs in Cedar Crest could be viable. I did figure out a place I could maybe put them, and I also have a friend who may be interested in splitting them with me, who also has a car trailer. And I have a trailer that could take 2.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

Some more info for you regarding using that 40horse engine...

VW changed from 6Volt to 12Volt in 1967. 1966 and earlier models were ALL originally 6V, but most of those have long since been converted to 12V.

If you wind up with a 12V body and chassis, you will be able to convert the engine to 12V. OR you can use your 6V parts in the car, although 6V batteries are not readily available or cheap these days. And I really can't see any advantage to go with 6V other than possible $$ difference in initial setup.

If you go with 6V in a 12V car, you would need to convert all bulbs in the car to 6V, including the dash bulbs, turn indicators, brake lights, dome light, turn flasher, and headlights; replace the 12V voltage regulator under the back seat with the 6V one on the generator, and re-wire for it. 6V headlight bulbs have a different location nub pattern on the back of the edge from 12V, so you would need to modify the headlight mounts for that. I haven't seen 6V headlight bulbs for sale for many years, although some VW supply shops MIGHT carry them for early Bug restoration/maintenance. The 6V starter motor will bolt in, but will require a replacement of the starter shaft bushing in the bell housing.

If you go with 12V in a 12V car, the 6V starter can still be used IF you do like I did for my 58 with the 1385 40hp engine. I used a 12V starter solenoid on the 6V starter. Spins much faster than normal that way and would be good for a high-compression engine. But you still need to replace the starter shaft bushing in the bell housing. Many people have told me 12V would fry the starter right away...I don't THINK so. A 6V solenoid might fry pretty quick though. My original 1958 6V starter motor was still going strong on 12V with over 750,000 total miles on it when I swapped out the 40horse engine for a 1600. The starter had 360,000 miles on it when I converted to 12V.

OR- you can swap out the 6V flywheel for a 12V. It will fit the crank, but the o-ring oil seal in the flywheel won't fit the crank, so you will still need to use the gasket between the crank end and the flywheel. Then you use a 12V (200mm) clutch disc and pressure plate instead of the 6V 180mm clutch disc and pressure plate. Also, if the trans has a bushing tube for the throwout bearing, you will need to use a 12V clutch with no ring for that type of bearing - OR - replace the throwout shaft with an early style with early throwout bearing and remove the sleeve (it fastens to the bellhousing with 3 bolts).[/i]
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
startwithengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Some more info for you regarding using that 40horse engine...

VW changed from 6Volt to 12Volt in 1967. 1966 and earlier models were ALL originally 6V, but most of those have long since been converted to 12V.

If you wind up with a 12V body and chassis, you will be able to convert the engine to 12V. OR you can use your 6V parts in the car, although 6V batteries are not readily available or cheap these days. And I really can't see any advantage to go with 6V other than possible $$ difference in initial setup.

If you go with 6V in a 12V car, you would need to convert all bulbs in the car to 6V, including the dash bulbs, turn indicators, brake lights, dome light, turn flasher, and headlights; replace the 12V voltage regulator under the back seat with the 6V one on the generator, and re-wire for it. 6V headlight bulbs have a different location nub pattern on the back of the edge from 12V, so you would need to modify the headlight mounts for that. I haven't seen 6V headlight bulbs for sale for many years, although some VW supply shops MIGHT carry them for early Bug restoration/maintenance. The 6V starter motor will bolt in, but will require a replacement of the starter shaft bushing in the bell housing.

If you go with 12V in a 12V car, the 6V starter can still be used IF you do like I did for my 58 with the 1385 40hp engine. I used a 12V starter solenoid on the 6V starter. Spins much faster than normal that way and would be good for a high-compression engine. But you still need to replace the starter shaft bushing in the bell housing. Many people have told me 12V would fry the starter right away...I don't THINK so. A 6V solenoid might fry pretty quick though. My original 1958 6V starter motor was still going strong on 12V with over 750,000 total miles on it when I swapped out the 40horse engine for a 1600. The starter had 360,000 miles on it when I converted to 12V.

OR- you can swap out the 6V flywheel for a 12V. It will fit the crank, but the o-ring oil seal in the flywheel won't fit the crank, so you will still need to use the gasket between the crank end and the flywheel. Then you use a 12V (200mm) clutch disc and pressure plate instead of the 6V 180mm clutch disc and pressure plate. Also, if the trans has a bushing tube for the throwout bearing, you will need to use a 12V clutch with no ring for that type of bearing - OR - replace the throwout shaft with an early style with early throwout bearing and remove the sleeve (it fastens to the bellhousing with 3 bolts).[/i]

Ok, that's awesome info. Thanks. I definitely now want to do the 12 volt since my cash pool has significantly opened up. Can I start with a 12v pulley and generator? I need to get a pulley anyway, and I could easily swap out the generator. Also, do the coil, distributor, spark plugs, etc stay the same during the conversion? I've never worked on a distributor before.

Thanks very much!
Edit- Nevermind, I re-read your earlier post and saw that I will need to get a new stand, pulley, and generator.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

you need an alternator stand, alternator diameter is bigger than generator

you also need to change the coil

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

A VW alternator stand fits both a Generator and an alternator. A 12V generator stand only fits a 12V generator. An alternator stand is "cut away" to clear the fat pulley end of the alternator. Alternator and Generator use the same pulley. Same fan too, unless you install a "Dog House" oil cooler and the shroud for it. Then the fan is thicker, front to back, than a fan for 40horse and 1500/early 1600.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
startwithengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

Alright my list is coming together thanks so much for all the help.

I am going to go with the 6v starter/12v solenoid option.

I like the idea of starting the car from a dead battery by rolling it down a hill, and generators are cheaper than alternators. But they also seem kind of sketchy, and produce less amperage. I'm curious what other people run? Also it seems like people have problems with he alternator hitting the carb.

I need to get a 12 volt coil.

My work has slowed significantly because I am studying for finals but once those are over in a few weeks I'm going straight into the bug!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: New to the forum, starting with an engine! Reply with quote

startwithengine wrote:
Alright my list is coming together thanks so much for all the help.

I am going to go with the 6v starter/12v solenoid option.

I like the idea of starting the car from a dead battery by rolling it down a hill, and generators are cheaper than alternators. But they also seem kind of sketchy, and produce less amperage. I'm curious what other people run? Also it seems like people have problems with he alternator hitting the carb.

I need to get a 12 volt coil.

My work has slowed significantly because I am studying for finals but once those are over in a few weeks I'm going straight into the bug!

"I like the idea of starting the car from a dead battery by rolling it down a hill"

Doesn't matter to this issue whether you have 12V or 6V starter, or whether you have a generator or alternator.

Some DO have trouble with an alternator interfering with the carb or linkage. Depends on which engine, which manifold, which carb, etc. Lot of variables in that issue. But then lots have no trouble with such interference.

Again..You need to make your decision of which flywheel and starter based on what car you wind up with. It's all about a whole package once you put it together. What if you find a good deal you can't pass up on a car which already has a 1600 engine?
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: