Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

So my recent "cheap" Ragtop purchase is rougher than it originally appeared Shocked . The rear clip was cut like a Baja bug, but there was a lot of bondo covering some pretty bad rot under and to the sides of the vents. I bought a complete rear clip to replace it but haven't really done rust repair, so I'm looking for some advice. Do you guys think I should cut along the drip rails and underneath the rear window, above the vents? Or would cutting the bottom part of the window lip too be better? The layer underneath the vents feels fairly solid. Any advice or pointers are greatly appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sunday!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

Here's my replacement piece for reference

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I would get the "diamond plate" off of the ragtop's firewall to better assess the damage it is hiding . . . You might end up needing to cut the ragtop body to match the replacement clip . . . through the pillars and down through the quarters!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I would cut straight through the drip rails and sides of the back window (the "C" pillar). Stay away from the vent area. I had to do something similar, and I made cardboard templates of the side and rear window openings without glass, and used that to trim the replacement piece until it fit the cutout area and the templates. You'll also want to bolt on the rear fenders to the replacement piece and car to help it all align properly before welding.

my fun:

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I would try to replace the whole piece including the window channel and not have a new seam. You could plan that method and then try to anticipate the issues with it.
Sunday!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

So the rear firewall looks decent minus holes drilled in it, but I think I'm going to still replace the whole thing. I took measurements from the door jam to the fender bolts and end of the drip rail, as well as across the rear window. Do you guys have any other suggestions on points where I should take measurements? I'm going to try and start cutting this week
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

Going beyond the single factory panel replacement has the benefit of what? I feel people have the false impression that it is much easier to align as a unit.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I would do the vent repair separate from the rear clip repair myself I would unroll the drip rails and only do the outer skin, and section just above lower window corners, easier to get lined up, less invasive to the rest of the body, less seams
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Sunday!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
I would do the vent repair separate from the rear clip repair myself I would unroll the drip rails and only do the outer skin, and section just above lower window corners, easier to get lined up, less invasive to the rest of the body, less seams

After looking over it again, that looks like it might be the best way to go. To separate the drip rail, is it just a matter of drilling spot welds on the inside and prying them apart? I don't want to butcher them too bad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: