Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Drums or adapters
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamingvsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

Are brake drums interchangeable between different bolt patterns? Currently I have 5X205 pattern up front, and 4X130 in the rears. Can I get a 5X205 for the back or 4X130 for the front? Trying to buy new rims and seems to match styles I need to match bolt pattern.

If I can't utilize brake drums in the pattern I want ( vehicle may need new brakes anyway) is there;

Any advantage to certain adapters or to going to 4 or 5 lug? I found some wheels I like in 5x205, so could just get the adapters for my existing 4 lug to go out to the 5.

This is a rail that will be set up for offroad, woods running.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

These adapters are fine to use.

Some say the four lug drums with adapters are stronger than the five lug drums.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

Thing front brakedrums

Thing Rear brake drum

I would investigate Thing bearing numbers, they may be different from Bugs because these were used on kinkpin cars

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

I have 4-lug drums on the back. But I have 5-lug wheels all around. I use those same adapters shown above for 5-lug wheels all around.

I've worked the car quite hard offroad with absolutely zero problems other than when somebody tried to steal my left rear wheel.

You already have the 5-lug front drums. No need to try to adapt the Ball Joint Bug/Thing front drums to get 5-lug. They WOULD work for the rears, but at about $50 for the adapters, vs about $210 for a pair of Thing drums...Your choice.

I suppose it's possible to adapt 4-lug drums to your king pin spindles with the correct bearings. But I don't know of anyone having done so, and don't know which bearings would do the job.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

I have used those same adapters as well with zero problems. I do run pressed in and tacked studs in mine but I doubt it makes much difference and costs more, it just makes it easier for me and my old back to throw a tire on.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

BTW...
Rear brake drums are interchangeable to a certain extent. The spline is the same, but the length of the spline varies. Early swing axle has short splines, Bug up through 1967 year model. 1968 Bug swingaxle, Bus, Type 3 swingaxle and IRS, and all IRS Bugs use long splines. Short spline drums can be used on long spline axles if you add a spacer outboard of the drum. Long spline drums can only be used on short spline axles if you machine the outer 13mm or so off the center hub of the drum.

Drums must match backing plates. There IS some interchange, and all backing plates fit all bearing housings, swingaxle or IRS. Shoes and related hardware must match both backing plates and drums. If you have long splines, early wide 5 lug pattern small nut reduction box Bus drums and backing plates can be used.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

My flaps set me up with some bearings that allow a 4 lug rotor onto my link pin spindles. The rotors came off of my old ball joint spindles.

craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
My flaps set me up with some bearings that allow a 4 lug rotor onto my link pin spindles. The rotors came off of my old ball joint spindles.

Do happen to have the part numbers for those bearings? I'd like to do exactly the same thing!
Craig
craigman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:

Do happen to have the part numbers for those bearings? I'd like to do exactly the same thing!
Craig
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

I made my own out of 1/2 aluminum, of coarse I had access to a water jet machine at the time.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

I think they are empi conversion bearings. Got em from archway imports. Sorry, all my reciepts (shoe box full) only have part numbers with no description of the parts.
Benjamingvsu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

Well I got the adapters. 12*1.5 thread, but I can not seem to find a conical lug bolt that is that thread and short enough for the adapters.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

It's made for stock 5-lug VW lug bolts. They should work fine. Should not be "conical" but ball.

The alternative is reaming out the lug holes and installing lug studs from Sway-A-Way and Empi/Bugpack.
SoCalBajas Member
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Drums or adapters Reply with quote

Benjamingvsu wrote:
Well I got the adapters. 12*1.5 thread, but I can not seem to find a conical lug bolt that is that thread and short enough for the adapters.

For adapter to wheel..... Use studs.....

Look at Dorman product to find proper stud... Press in studs and get proper nuts and the world is fine.... Look in section 10 of document below....

https://www.dormanproducts.com/flipbook/dorman/automotive-hardware/2006-automotive-hardware.pdf

Think the 610-254 will press into existing holes on adapter with minimal modifications....

Proper lug nuts will be in next section....

You can order by Dorman part number through places like Rockauto or maybe local AP...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: