Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new main bearing with copper color
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

They quit making the good rod bearings for 780p VW 1600 and 610p 2" buick, and stock is depleted.
What good would main bearings do if we don't have rod bearings?? Rolling Eyes

Those rod bearings fit 50 million engines, but I guess there is no demand????
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

The question that,did not get answered....which is why I was hoping your contact with the mfg would yield more than just new set of bearings foe you.....is.....were those bearings SUPPOSED to be copper on the outer surface....or were they missing a layer.....bscause.....as I posted pages back...factually....there have been and still are bearings made with an outer copper layer.

Would be nice to know if it were a,mistake.....or for a different application. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
The question that,did not get answered....which is why I was hoping your contact with the mfg would yield more than just new set of bearings foe you.....is.....were those bearings SUPPOSED to be copper on the outer surface....or were they missing a layer.....bscause.....as I posted pages back...factually....there have been and still are bearings made with an outer copper layer.

Would be nice to know if it were a,mistake.....or for a different application. Ray

Ray,
One of the tech guys I spoke to at Mahle told me I could run that bearing. The pictures I posted at the beginning don't show it very well but there is a grayish tint in the copper. What he (the tech guy) said was the copper showing is due to some kind of oxidation or a patina showing through due to it was an old unused bearing that was exposed to high humidity. I decided not to try it in my all new 2127 motor I am building. Sorry I didn't share that info earlier and glad you brought it back up.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

motomwo wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray,
One of the tech guys I spoke to at Mahle told me I could run that bearing. The pictures I posted at the beginning don't show it very well but there is a grayish tint in the copper. What he (the tech guy) said was the copper showing is due to some kind of oxidation or a patina showing through due to it was an old unused bearing that was exposed to high humidity. I decided not to try it in my all new 2127 motor I am building. Sorry I didn't share that info earlier and glad you brought it back up.

Marty

Mmmmm.....not a very accurate answer you got from that "tech"....but thank you for going back to it! The outer coatings they typically put on bearings.....tin or lead/tin.....would not simply oxidize away without leaving considerable white residue. And....if there were oxidizing going on....the copper would not have been anywhere near that color. It would have been at best.....dark penny colored or going green.

But I do agree that if they were still the right size there was probably no reason you could not have used them. There are bearings made with outer copper layers.

I am betting as you noted that there was some visible gray coating....that they were simply not coated completely and they got missed by QC. Ray
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

I just got a email saying the back order bearings are avail and the ones I ordered are being shipped. Ill post a pic when I get them.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

Got the bearings today, havent measured them yet but thought Id post pics for you all. Pretty disappointed that they are made in china vs. mexico but maybe it means the rod bearings could come back? In the hand edges feel rough compared to regular mahle or KS, weird copper sheen under certain lighting but overall standard aluminum color. #2 bearing is still steel backed fortunately.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

Clevite made in china WHAAAT? Shocked

The latest clevite catalog does list oversize OD main bearings for the first time ever. There are numerous mistakes in the specifications.... which really made me wonder..... what they were UP to. Now I know. Looks ok from here.

THANKS for the pics.
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

Please do keep us posted as to how the new clevites measure/fit.

Marty
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Clevite made in china WHAAAT? Shocked

The latest clevite catalog does list oversize OD main bearings for the first time ever. There are numerous mistakes in the specifications.... which really made me wonder..... what they were UP to. Now I know. Looks ok from here.

THANKS for the pics.

Can you please share the link of clevite catalog
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/na/en/catalogs-and-literature/catalog-pdfs/
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

modok wrote:
https://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/na/en/catalogs-and-literature/catalog-pdfs/

Thanks
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

They're not worn. Put em in your case, torque it, and measure. Like everybody is supposed to do...
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
They're not worn. Glycos had exposed copper. Doesn't mean it's bad. Probably some of the best ever. Put em in your case, torque it, and measure. Like everybody is supposed to do...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: