Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kcin04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm going to look at a '78 transporter tomorrow. The seller is asking $750; the interior/glass seems to be in very good shape but it does have a decent amount of rust on the body. I attached a picture that the seller sent me. The motor is also currently pulled from the bus and it is missing the transaxle. Assuming that I buy it, this will be my first VW, but I have a lot of experience working on motorcycles and cars so I'm not too worried about the mechanical challenges involved with getting the bus running.

I am worried however, about finding a transaxle. It's my understanding that only a '78 will work on this bus, is that assumption correct? Also, looking around I see people asking about $500-1000 on eBay for them, is this what I should expect to pay for one?

And finally, is $750 a good deal for a rusty transporter with a title? Thanks in advance!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Chris-a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

I'm not certain about that strict model year requirement for the transaxle(pretty sure any 73-79, but I'd get someone to verify), but I would be abit concerned about the motor not being in the van. I really like the type iv engine and the Bosch fuel injection that comes with these, but the parts are, generally, more $$ than other air-cooled vw's. If the fuel injection is missing any major parts, good luck on the hunt.

Rusted out van with no transaxle and questionable engine running condition, I wouldn't go too far out of my way to give someone money.

Good luck
Chris

I gotta have nice tools, just look at the cars I drive.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

That pic isn't the sharpest, but it sure looks like the bottom few inches has rust all the way around. And that's just the structure you can see. So assume there's 3-4 times more rust under there.

$750 sounds like a good price to me, but only if I wanted it for the parts.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
$750 sounds like a good price to me, but only if I wanted it for the parts.

Basically this. If you want it to fix up it'll be the most expensive $750 you've ever spent.

I'd put the extra transmission and body metal money into a more solid bus personally.

Oh and a 75-79 bus has the same 6 rib trans. A 72-74 could work but is not ideal.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

You bus would have come with an 091 tranny, which was used from '76-'79. Earlier trannies could work as well, but the gearing would be shorter and you would have problem with clearance for the 228mm clutch cover, you would also have to make minor modification to the shift rod.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Get a picture of the motor... make sure it wasnt converted to an earlier motor. That changes what transmission you would need or you will need to source the proper engine

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Kcin04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. Here's a picture of the motor, it's hard to tell if it's the correct motor from the picture. I was going to check the engine number to make sure it was the correct year. The rust is what will either make or break the deal for me; I want to gain experience with bodywork but obviously I don't want something that's more rust than van. If the floor/frame is solid I think I'm going to go for it.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Jeebus Shocked .... walk away from that one. That's a parts bus. You'll be WAY ahead paying more for a bus in better condition if your intending to make a driver.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Kcin04 wrote:

Is that a middle seat I see in this picture, sideways behind the drivers seat. If so, that worth just about what the guy is asking for the bus.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

091 transaxles are very easy to find. you find them in baja bugs and rail buggies.

my baja has type 3 brake hydraulics, type 3 rear brakes, Ghia calipers, Thing spindles, and I'm looking at an 091 trans. an all VW Frankenstein.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Is that a middle seat I see in this picture, sideways behind the drivers seat. If so, that worth just about what the guy is asking for the bus.

Until you have one & are trying to sell it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Kcin04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Yeah the interior is really what drew me to the bus; all of the seats are there and look like they're in perfect shape.

Mal evolent wrote:
091 transaxles are very easy to find. you find them in baja bugs and rail buggies.

my baja has type 3 brake hydraulics, type 3 rear brakes, Ghia calipers, Thing spindles, and I'm looking at an 091 trans. an all VW Frankenstein.

Good to know, thanks!

I'm going to go look at it in a couple of hours; I'll update this thread after I get back. I don't like the idea of parting out something this old with a title; I would really like to fix this bus up. The rust will be the determining factor, though.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

There is one thread on The Samba where the bus started off with that much rust.
Unfortunately, the pics were all posted from PhotoPhucket, so they are lost...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673081&highlight=rhd

This man in the UK did an amazing transformation of the body of a rusted out heap.
But he had numerous years of experience, and evidently lots of money to throw into it.

Best of luck to you, kcin04, whatever you decide to do! Very Happy

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

if you are a welder and body shop guy, painter, mechanic, etc. you could get that bus running for around $10K - $12K +/-. That motor is out for a reason. If it needs a rebuild that is $4500, no way to even know yet if it is a 2L motor or if the core is rebuildable. Then the trans - they sell for about $750 - $1000 today. Then the body work etc. If it needs tires, brakes, any suspension work etc, body panels etc - easily you will be in it $10K. If the rear torsion tube is rotted then it gets really messy really fast. Front beam is easier to replace. Just don't expect to be driving that bus around for another $1500. It isn't going to happen.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Kcin04 wrote:
0... If the floor/frame is solid I think I'm going to go for it.

... You're missing the last 3-4 inches of floor all together... You couldn't put a sliding door on that bus... Question

Keep the seats a few other bits, and scrap the rest. R.I.P. brown bus. R.I.P.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Kcin04 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Here's a picture of the motor, it's hard to tell if it's the correct motor from the picture. I was going to check the engine number to make sure it was the correct year. The rust is what will either make or break the deal for me; I want to gain experience with bodywork but obviously I don't want something that's more rust than van. If the floor/frame is solid I think I'm going to go for it.

There is no rocker or lower slider track, no front jack point, no floor around the front seat, and it looks like the left side of the door frame is bent pretty bad....

The middle seat is worth something if it is a full width one, if it’s a 2 seat middle, it’s not worth as much, but it does appear to be in good condition. The head liner looks nice too.

The motor is a correct block for the year, but has the earlier style heat exchangers. That’s a good thing. Better if all the parts are there. I see a firewall behind it and it looks like the correct alternator bracket, but it’s not stock for 78. For cooling tin and exhaust setup you have 72-74, 75-78 and 79 is mostly identical to 72-74, but varies with square port heads and major changes if it’s a California model.

You have a non stock center mounted carb on that block, fuel injection was what was originally there. Dual carbs came with the earlier models and can be better adapted over the center mount.

Matching numbers and original engine on VWs are much less important than American cars, if anything these are much more modular and easy to adapt various power trains and inductions. However the farther you get from stock, the more you have to figure out on your own.

There is A LOT of body work needed on that bus, and that’s only from 2 shitty pictures. I’d expect the window frames to be just as bad, and the batter trays

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
Kcin04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Looking through the rest of the pictures he sent me; I believe you guys are right. It is just too rusty for me to save. I was thinking that the rust could be better in person, but there are some glaring issues that are obviously not just because of the picture quality. I'm disappointingly going to save myself the 3 hour round trip and not go take a look at this bus.

Thank you guys for the valuable input, hopefully I can find one to fix up over this summer. I'll keep searching Craigslist and the classifieds on here for now.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

Post the rest of the pictures.... at least we can guide you on what else to look for. Or what parts are good if you decide you want a parts bus.

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

If you have a place to put it, you could offer the guy $250 - $300 if it has a title, and stash it for spare parts. Worst case you could part it and get your money back out.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to find a '78 bus transaxle? Reply with quote

I can see all the photobomb images, using the plug in for chrome
Samba sites advice to see photobuckets pics https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677288

KentPS wrote:
There is one thread on The Samba where the bus started off with that much rust.
Unfortunately, the pics were all posted from PhotoPhucket, so they are lost...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673081&highlight=rhd

This man in the UK did an amazing transformation of the body of a rusted out heap.
But he had numerous years of experience, and evidently lots of money to throw into it.

Best of luck to you, kcin04, whatever you decide to do! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: