Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Squareback trim packages?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Type 3 Squareback trim packages? Reply with quote

First I will note I searched this forum for "trim" under the type 3 section and didn't find my answer so I will ask.

We recently picked up a 1969 type 3 squareback and it is missing the hood handle, stainless rocker trim, and stainless body trim.

My question is does every type 3 squareback come with this trim or are there different trim levels? I have not found my answer on google or this site yet.

I tried the the type3registry but it seems to be down.

Please help.

Thanks
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback trim packages? Reply with quote

My '69 square has all that. The early & N model didn't have it until '64?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback trim packages? Reply with quote

As Tram would like to remind us, the "N" was replaced by the standard in 1966, while ALL USA models were deluxe models. The deluxe model got all of the trim you're mentioning, except upper body trim is actually anodized aluminum and not stainless steel (that's aftermarket).
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
speedracer89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback trim packages? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the quick reply's

Does anyone happen to have measurement of the factory trim hole locations?Someone shaved the trim on this car and I want to put it back on.
squeakylizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Squareback trim packages? Reply with quote

You should be able to see them on the backside of the panel, hopefully they just smeared bondo over them and did not weld them. I haven't looked at the back side of the trim but if there is a channel all the way down the back you should be able to drill new holes for the clips.
1)If this is not the case make a pencil mark on the trim so you can see the mounting point.
2)If the car is painted place a wide piece of masking tape down the side of the vehicle where the trim will be.
3)Use some tape to hold the trim pieces on the panels.
4)Then trace the trim on the masking tape also marking where the mounting holes are in the trim.
5)Drill holes and mount trim.
This will get you closer than trying to measure since there isn't a useful "datum" to pull dimensions from.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: