Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Light Switch Keeps going out-electric switch solution?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GearHeadKeith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch Keeps going out-electric switch solution? Reply with quote

djkeev: Great question! Yes, this is a sealed, water-proof switch.
SSC trans with 3.78/2.25/1.48/1.04 & 4.12 Gleason R&P, Type IV output flanges, Berg Shifter
Topline front struts/springs/sway bar, Sway-a-Way rear bar, 4-wheel disc brakes
Owned since 1994: 3rd owner since new!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch Keeps going out-electric switch solution? Reply with quote

This is a great idea and deal. I have been aware of the sloppy brake light issue for a long time and adjusted my braking pattern to compensate for the late illumination. Even the best switches require stiff pressure to activate the lights .This mod is actually on my list projects , but will most likely get this kit now.

I would encourage folks to check their brake lights at night occasionally to see how much pressure is actually needed to get the lights to go on. I have the third brake light in the deck lid as well as a luggage rack. At night I can see the brake light reflected off the rack, so it’s s constant reminder of the issue.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch Keeps going out-electric switch solution? Reply with quote

I'll follow up and recommend getting this brake switch kit. I got it soon after last post. It activates with slight pressure on the pedal to give way faster notice to cars behind. But even better when sitting at red light , the brake lights can stay illuminated with foot just resting on pedal.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061
GearHeadKeith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch Keeps going out-electric switch solution? Reply with quote

For those interested in my brake pedal activated electric brake light switch, this retrofit kit can be purchased directly from my website: https://www.aircooledevolution.com/products
SSC trans with 3.78/2.25/1.48/1.04 & 4.12 Gleason R&P, Type IV output flanges, Berg Shifter
Topline front struts/springs/sway bar, Sway-a-Way rear bar, 4-wheel disc brakes
Owned since 1994: 3rd owner since new!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch Keeps going out-electric switch solution? Reply with quote

I bought and installed one. Can’t say enough good things about it; instant brake lights the moment the pedal is pressed, and they stay on until it returns to the stop.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch Keeps going out-electric switch solution? Reply with quote

Personally, I don’t really care “when” the brake lights come on.
I’m a downshifter.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Switch Keeps going out-electric switch solution? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Personally, I don’t really care “when” the brake lights come on.
I’m a downshifter.

In pursuit of extending the life of brake pads I've learned to enjoy the challenge of getting down steep inclines without touching the brakes. It's easier if you're not being tailgated.

So far no problems with the Brake lights. Can't say the same for the reverse lights.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: