Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper Hardware
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Bumper Hardware Reply with quote

Good Morning All!!

I am soon going to pull the trigger on a pair of new bumper blades from WW. The triple chrome plated ones.

Anyone have first hand experience with these? Do they hold up well?

Also, WW is offering the chrome mounting bolts separately. Any idea if the ones offered are as good quality as the bumpers. I'd hate to put new chrome blades in only to have the bolts start to pit and rust prematurely.

Would I be better off buying stainless bolts?

Thanks!
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Hardware Reply with quote

I just received a US style rear bumper from WW a few weeks ago. One of the bumper guards had a spot where the chrome had peeled from the metal. They sent me a replacement piece.

The paint they put on the back is also VERY thin. I will have to repaint the back before final install on the car. It looks like they painted over chrome, which doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not sure what to expect from the bumpers as this is the first chrome stuff I have ever dealt with, but they were a little less quality than I was expecting for the money.

I'm still on the hunt for nice original ones to have chromed myself.

I've been gentle on the bolts making sure not to toss them around or drop them and they seem to be okay.
67veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Hardware Reply with quote

Did those bumper guards come pre installed?

I got the impression that the guards they offer were pretty much EMPI or similar and the main portions of the bumpers we're done in house. For $130 each I wasn't expecting top quality but was hoping to get 5-10 years out of them.

What do you plan on coating the inside with? I was thinking bed liner for mine.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Hardware Reply with quote

I don’t have long term experience with their bumpers as I just got the full set about a month or so ago and my car is always kept out of the elements, but they seem to be good quality. I don’t believe any part of the bumpers are EMPI. I was also happy with the painted surface on the back. They come in a huge box and well wrapped. Metal was noticeably thicker than the repop Euro style that I removed.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Hardware Reply with quote

67veedub wrote:
Did those bumper guards come pre installed?

I got the impression that the guards they offer were pretty much EMPI or similar and the main portions of the bumpers we're done in house. For $130 each I wasn't expecting top quality but was hoping to get 5-10 years out of them.

What do you plan on coating the inside with? I was thinking bed liner for mine.

When I purchased the complete bumper the guards were already installed. If you buy the complete bumper it will also come with every bolt needed to complete installation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: