Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly? Reply with quote

MY question is essentially the title. I got a bug eye kit from craigslist, and when I got home I stared at it for a bit and noticed my headlights wont fit in the holes. I went to the internet, as I always do, and learned the holes for the headlights are meant for the 1954-1966 style headlight housings. Before I pull the trigger and buy just the housings, I was wondering If I can use the headlights from my 69 beetle and put them in the older style housings?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the nose I got.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly? Reply with quote

Both assemblies use the standard round sealed beam lights.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly? Reply with quote

Except that 6 volt sealed beam bulbs have the locating nubs on the edge in different places than 12 volt sealed beam bulbs. So the bulbs don't quite fit. You can pretty easily cut new notches in the housing so it will fit. I've done it before myself. Those nubs are important for aiming the light. So they NEED to be in the correct locations.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly? Reply with quote

Oh man thats the nose I have been wanting. I dont think the 69 buckets will work in those
(oops didnt see you were gonna install the later headlamp in the older buckets)

Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly? Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Both assemblies use the standard round sealed beam lights.

That's what I figured.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly? Reply with quote

Strange because the nose you posted a picture of has round holes and not oval holes like the earlier style.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly? Reply with quote

Nah, that blue nose is DEFINITELY a 6V nose for 6v headlights. It even has little bulges for the mounting screw at the bottom of the 6V headlight housing, even though the white one above does NOT have those bulges.

It might be just the angle of the pic that it seems like round holes. I'm REAL familiar with Bug-eye Baja noses. Mine had one for many years and I put it on and fitted everything including the lights.

I've dealt with several other too and even have 2 or 3 of the 12V noses out back right now.

Note how the 12V headlights are recessed into the cheeks of the nose piece on mine. But the 6V headlights stand out.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_Decisions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly? Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
Strange because the nose you posted a picture of has round holes and not oval holes like the earlier style.

As dusty said, its the angle of the pic. They are definitely oval shaped.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Will 1969 headlights fit in a 1954-1966 headlight assembly? Reply with quote

Anyone have one of those nose pieces laying around collecting dust they want to get rid of? Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: