Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicconelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

Hey all, my name is Nick. My wife and I just picked up a rolling tube frame chassis (apparently the proper term is “sand rail” but since there’s no sand anywhere near me it doesn’t seem to fit for our vehicle). It came with a rebuilt transmission and a bunch of parts, but the biggest missing piece is an engine. I’ve been asking around locally and will keep my eyes on the FS section here.

Anywho, mostly just wanted to say “hi there” and post a pic of my roller. I’m looking forward to getting to know some folks and learn a lot about VWs and sand-dune-rail-buggy-cars.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[edit: typos and lonely image tag]

Last edited by Nicconelli on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lot so of questions Reply with quote

Howdy! The stout nerf bars and tractor rear tires indicate that yours is a Woodsbuggy! Please make sure the bar over the driver's head gets reinstalled before any fun stuff!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lot so of questions Reply with quote

No sand?... How about woods?... Woods buggy!

Yes roll bar(cage) over drivers head needs attentions also missing brace on front passenger side.... looks rough, but maybe a little sandblast, inspect welds, get it into primer would help a lot....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Nicconelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lot so of questions Reply with quote

“Woods buggy” sounds good to me! Plenty of woods around here.

There are actually three missing bars… The roll cage one was removed because it had been installed backwards, the front diagonal piece was removed because apparently some water got in it and it burst when it froze, and the other one is in the back and was removed to make it easier to get the transmission in and out (with axles installed). All of these were removed by the previous owner, who never got around to putting them back in and finishing the project.

I’m excited to get sanding and stripping it. It’s going to be a father-son thing with me and my dad, who also has a VW-based kit car (not a buggy of any sort) and welding gear.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

Front wheels looks like they have been flipped around
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

rwf8ball wrote:
Front wheels looks like they have been flipped around

Common practice (old school) if you wanted the "reversed wheel" look on the street or to widen stance on front end....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dennismcd707 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

Instead of buying an engine, why don't you build one from the case up? All new parts. It should be fun to do that, and it'll go well with the rebuilt transaxle. Plus... you'll REALLY REALLY know your new buggy. If cost is the same, why not? Lots of "how to" books and videos available for first timers, plus a wealth of knowledge here on theSamba! I'm building one as I write this, so I'm speaking about first hand knowledge of "fun". (and frustration, then fun again...)
1971 Super Beetle, 1776, dual Weber's, roller crank, big valve modified racing heads, close ratio trans, lowered suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, car has over 368,000 actual miles. (RIP 1970 Beetle/Baja, 1986 GTI, 1999 Jetta, 2002 Jetta)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

Quote:
the biggest missing piece is an engine. I’ve been asking around locally and will keep my eyes on the FS section here.

the number of surviving VWs greatly exceeds the number of surviving engines. the day of finding running VW engines at affordable prices is long gone. rebuildable cores are rare. as noted above, start fresh with a new case and roll your own

read this: VW Performance Engine Building Considerations

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Nicconelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

dennismcd707 wrote:
why don't you build one from the case up?

That’s a valid option, and your points are well taken. One of the big “maybes” with the engine is my Dad was tossing around the idea of a new engine for his kit car, and would possibly give me his old one, which leaks/burns a little oil, but runs fine otherwise.

I’ll have to look at the costs of building. It may be easier to spend for the cases (then every so often a little here and a little there) than to buy a whole used one and have to tune it up anyway.

::scratches beard::

Thanks for the ideas and the links... I’ll be thinking on it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

There is this option to consider....

http://www.cbperformance.com/Builder-s-Choice-Engine-Kits-s/116.htm

The 1776 would be decent performer in woods buggy...

Dale

Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

similar prices, already assembled: http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Longblocks-s/78.htm

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

You also have a "Ball Joint" front beam, FYI. they were used in 65 and up Standard bugs [not super beetles], if you take a picture of the back showing the trans axle we can ID it as well.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
You also have a "Ball Joint" front beam, FYI. they were used in 65 and up Standard bugs [not super beetles], if you take a picture of the back showing the trans axle we can ID it as well.

Casey

Ball joint front ends were used in 1966 and later Bugs.

And when you replace the missing front bar, water pipe is not the cool stuff to use. 1" x .065 wall electro weld tubing is fine. It SHOULD be welded all the way around at both ends to keep water out.

It's interesting that water pipe was used and it got water inside then froze and burst... See? Shouldn't have been water pipe in the 1st place. Smile Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Nicconelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
if you take a picture of the back showing the trans axle we can ID it as well.

Ok then!

As for the frame piece... I don’t think it was water pipe before, even though it did end up with water in it (ha ha, funny funny), and it won’t be water pipe when I replace them either; I know a guy who used to build race car chassis, and he has told me that he’d hook me up, so it’ll be good stuff that I replace it with.

dustymojave wrote:

I found a chassis number (*116436770*) that seems to suggest the donor car was built in December of ‘65, so that sounds like it makes sense.

As for all the engine sources... thank you all for the links and pointers. I have a LONG road of other things to finish before I buy an engine, so I will use all of that info in my decision process.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

Nicconelli wrote:
earthquake wrote:
if you take a picture of the back showing the trans axle we can ID it as well.

Ok then!

As for the frame piece... I don’t think it was water pipe before, even though it did end up with water in it (ha ha, funny funny), and it won’t be water pipe when I replace them either; I know a guy who used to build race car chassis, and he has told me that he’d hook me up, so it’ll be good stuff that I replace it with.

dustymojave wrote:

I found a chassis number (*116436770*) that seems to suggest the donor car was built in December of ‘65, so that sounds like it makes sense.

As for all the engine sources... thank you all for the links and pointers. I have a LONG road of other things to finish before I buy an engine, so I will use all of that info in my decision process.

Basic T1 swing axle used from 61 up through 68, 69 transaxle was first IRS with flanges and CV joints for output....

Dale

Nicconelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Basic T1 swing axle used from 61 up through 68

Thanks for that. I've been having trouble finding any info based on that casting number. I'm thinking it will have a role in my buying an engine, but I assume if I stay in those years I'll be ok. Or if I end up buying an engine with trans attached I can sell or swap this trans and it will help knowing what I have.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

I talked about water pipe because the tube from the dash bar to the front upper crossmember over the driver's feet in the picture above, appears to be galvanized, like water pipe.

The engine and trans really do not have to match year model to year model. The gear box you have, IF it is from a 1961-1966 Bug, will have 4.37:1 ring and pinion ratio (stock). Later swingaxle and early IRS (1967-1972) gearboxes have 4.12:1 ratio. Bugs 1973 and newer have 3.88:1 ratio. 1st through 4th gear ratios are the same through all of those years.

The clutch pressure plate needs to match the throwout bearing in the trans, and that changed in the late 60s (IIRC). Also the flywheel diameter at the ring gear for the starter and the bushing for the starter shaft in the bell housing changed when the electrical system changed from 6Volt to 12 Volt in 1967. Those issues are easy to fix. Otherwise, VW Bug aircooled engines are interchangeable.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
earthquake wrote:

Casey

And when you replace the missing front bar, water pipe is not the cool stuff to use. 1" x .065 wall electro weld tubing is fine. It SHOULD be welded all the way around at both ends to keep water out.

It's interesting that water pipe was used and it got water inside then froze and burst... See? Shouldn't have been water pipe in the 1st place. Smile Cool

You are right, Brain Fart. That's what happens as you get older.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy here... have rolling frame and lots of questions Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:

You are right, Brain Fart. That's what happens as you get older.

Casey

That's why they call us "Old Farts".... And I represent that comment... or is it "resemble"? Embarassed
SoCalBajas Member
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: