Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anoboa69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

Good evening Samba- I have a recently purchased 1969 Beetle. I just noticed after doing a tune up- spark plugs, oil, distributor, condensor, rotor, wires, etc... Actually did a kit for the original carburetor. All working fine for a month. Now after driving it about 20 miles today- I got home and notice a bit of fuel leak in the area on the pic marked by the blue pen. After a few minutes sitting with the engine off, it stopped. I have not tried it again but does anyone know what that could be?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

Worn throttle shaft bore.
You can get it rebushed by Volkbitz. Worth every penny Tim charges.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=...itz.com%2F

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Worn throttle shaft bore.
You can get it rebushed by Volkbitz. Worth every penny Tim charges. ...

http://www.volkzbitz.com/

His rebuilt carbs are awesome, and he can even install a screwed in barbed inlet pipe. I've got a couple from him, they're very impressive, and I agree that they're worth the money.
'69 Bug
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

Just to add a note regarding the worn throttle shaft bushing. Do not ignore this, as I am certain you will not. They can cause fires. They screw up the air to fuel ratio, and lean out the mixture, causing all sorts of drivability issues. Additionally, lean mixture under loads can burn valves, due to combustion chambers exceeding design temperature levels. Get this one fixed soon. Better than rebuilding the entire engine and the carb!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
anoboa69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Would it be cheaper and better to just a buy a new Solex 30 Pict-2 instead of sending it out and rebuilding? Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

ˇBienvenido a la Samba!
Probably not, & be advised that generic replacements are all that vendors now offer. Some work fine outta the box, while others don't. Their origins are many places except Germany, & quality has suffered.
Even w/ the worn throttle shaft/bore(s) shown above (a very common issue), rebuilding the OEM German carb could likely be the best investment here.
anoboa69 wrote:
Would it be cheaper and better to just a buy a new Solex 30 Pict-2 instead of sending it out and rebuilding? Just a thought.

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

anoboa69 wrote:
Thanks for the information. Would it be cheaper and better to just a buy a new Solex 30 Pict-2 instead of sending it out and rebuilding? Just a thought.

The only "new" 30PICT-2 you're going to find would be an NOS one which is highly unlikely to be cheaper than a rebuild. Only the 30PICT-1, 30PIC-1, H30/31, and 34PICT-3 are commonly available new.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

No! Cheaper today. Not tomorrow Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

I'd rather buy a VolkzBitz carb than a "new" carb anyday...
'69 Bug
anoboa69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

Got it- thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.
anoboa69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

Does Tim take a bit to answer emails or voice messages?
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

anoboa69 wrote:
Does Tim take a bit to answer emails or voice messages?

He's been pretty quick in the past with me. But if it's only been a day, I'd follow up tomorrow...

[email protected]
'69 Bug
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

He’s currently busy rebuilding mine. Very Happy

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
anoboa69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

He answered via email and explained everything in detail. Hope to be sending my carb over to him soon. Thanks for all of the help!
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Beetle Carburetor Leak Reply with quote

anoboa69 wrote:
He answered via email and explained everything in detail. Hope to be sending my carb over to him soon. Thanks for all of the help!

Right on!
'69 Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: