Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Man, that is gonna be a bitch to see. I guess you'll have to glance at the tach while you're craning your neck out the window to look at the fender mount mirrors. Laughing

Did I say something to deserve this from you? Just wondering. Sad If I did, I apologise.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

Get one that only goes to 3 so it'll look like you're really winding it out when you're driving around
Aearon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

Yeah the whole visibility thing is part of my deal. I may autocross it on occasion and I would like to be able to see it at a glance. I have a nice big tach that came on it when I got it mounted to the dash but I am looking for practical and stylish. I may just be out of luck and have to settle for one or the other. I admit I had a gto with a hood tach on it and loved the idea. It is totally possible if not probable that it just wouldnt work on a ghia. Thats why I asked and I appreciate everyone's opinions!
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

Another option is a steering column gauge mount:

https://www.aircooledaccessories.com/VW_motometer-gauge-Holder

Yeah, it only holds a 52 mm gauge, so it doesn't really make sense in a ghia, where the 52 mm clock can be replaced with a tach.
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

Replace speedo with tach that lights up at shift point, swap clock for mini speedo.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

Cut into the dash. Set tach in about half way in and half above the dash. Then fab a bubble type pod over the top. Sort of like this, but single tach.

https://www.dallasmustang.com/media/catalog/produc...05185b.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

Mount the tach on the hood - it's just a car.

There are more important things in life than bitching about what the owner does to his own car.

bnc
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Man, that is gonna be a bitch to see. I guess you'll have to glance at the tach while you're craning your neck out the window to look at the fender mount mirrors. Laughing

Did I say something to deserve this from you? Just wondering. Sad If I did, I apologise.

Lighten up. The pic shows the tach sitting on the dash, facing the driver side window, pretty difficult to see from that angle while sitting in the seat, almost as bad as the very stylish but nearly useless fender mount mirrors. No offense meant, just a fucked up sense of humor that doesn't always translate well in text.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

Better yet, cut the panel out of the dash & weld in a filler so you can convert it to the earlier/later styles that have two large instruments.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stolen from the gallery, posted by lajs57

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

Later years have two large instruments as well.....

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

Hoods are plentiful and affordable. Why not get a new hood and make a bump out to fit a tach. You could put a slit in the hood and stretch the metal up to allow for the tach installation. If done right it could look really nice, and you would always have the original hood to put back on if you wanted to return to stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hood Tach Stupid or Stupendous Reply with quote

In my 71, I used a 52mm VDO tach originally from a Volvo 240, and dropped it into the clock hole.

It worked very well.
Even has an adjustable red pointerto use for your redline

Rob!
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: