Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

So my recent "cheap" Ragtop purchase is rougher than it originally appeared Shocked . The rear clip was cut like a Baja bug, but there was a lot of bondo covering some pretty bad rot under and to the sides of the vents. I bought a complete rear clip to replace it but haven't really done rust repair, so I'm looking for some advice. Do you guys think I should cut along the drip rails and underneath the rear window, above the vents? Or would cutting the bottom part of the window lip too be better? The layer underneath the vents feels fairly solid. Any advice or pointers are greatly appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sunday!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

Here's my replacement piece for reference

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I would get the "diamond plate" off of the ragtop's firewall to better assess the damage it is hiding . . . You might end up needing to cut the ragtop body to match the replacement clip . . . through the pillars and down through the quarters!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I would cut straight through the drip rails and sides of the back window (the "C" pillar). Stay away from the vent area. I had to do something similar, and I made cardboard templates of the side and rear window openings without glass, and used that to trim the replacement piece until it fit the cutout area and the templates. You'll also want to bolt on the rear fenders to the replacement piece and car to help it all align properly before welding.

my fun:

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I would try to replace the whole piece including the window channel and not have a new seam. You could plan that method and then try to anticipate the issues with it.
Sunday!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

So the rear firewall looks decent minus holes drilled in it, but I think I'm going to still replace the whole thing. I took measurements from the door jam to the fender bolts and end of the drip rail, as well as across the rear window. Do you guys have any other suggestions on points where I should take measurements? I'm going to try and start cutting this week
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

Going beyond the single factory panel replacement has the benefit of what? I feel people have the false impression that it is much easier to align as a unit.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I would do the vent repair separate from the rear clip repair myself I would unroll the drip rails and only do the outer skin, and section just above lower window corners, easier to get lined up, less invasive to the rest of the body, less seams
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Sunday!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
I would do the vent repair separate from the rear clip repair myself I would unroll the drip rails and only do the outer skin, and section just above lower window corners, easier to get lined up, less invasive to the rest of the body, less seams

After looking over it again, that looks like it might be the best way to go. To separate the drip rail, is it just a matter of drilling spot welds on the inside and prying them apart? I don't want to butcher them too bad
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

How did this end up going? I need to replace the same section for different reasons..
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

Well the OP hasn't checked samba since 2018 so don't hold your breath...
But I'll offer some recent experience for what it's worth. I had the inner panel (below the louvers, with the hinge mount) removed while doing rust repair on my 52. Also had the firewall removed. Once you take these out the entire back of the cars becomes very loose and flexible. I got everything back together and found that the curve at the louvers no longer matched the curve of the deck lid. Shocked
So took it all back apart and fought it for hours till I got the curve right. This is the seam you don't want to open unless you absolutely need to

I would prefer to make the repair across the window opening, where the OP has the repair section cut. And I would cut straight across the drip rail, and down to the fender beading. If you make the longer splice below the fender bolts it will be hidden from view so less worry about matching curves, etc. The short joints straight down from the window to the fender are easily accessible with the side windows out.
Just my .02
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I really appreciate your tips.
My internal rear louvered panel has been cut by a PO and the original firewall rain catch and drain tubes have been removed. The rear H-apron was replaced at one time with a non-H-apron and the rear bumper mounts are rotting so I'd like to just replace the whole rear section. I found a donor back half from a 1958, but I'm worried the seller didn't leave enough sheet metal to do this cleanly. Does this look like it could work out

?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

TXHCBeetle wrote:
My internal rear louvered panel has been cut by a PO and the original firewall rain catch and drain tubes have been removed. The rear H-apron was replaced at one time with a non-H-apron and the rear bumper mounts are rotting so I'd like to just replace the whole rear section. I found a donor back half from a 1958, but I'm worried the seller didn't leave enough sheet metal to do this cleanly. Does this look like it could work out

?

I'm going to look at my car again and think about this, considering your donor clip. Will post some thoughts after dinner. I've actually got a rear clip to replace for someone else soon, so this is good food for thought.
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

esde wrote:
TXHCBeetle wrote:

?

I'm going to look at my car again and think about this, considering your donor clip. Will post some thoughts after dinner. I've actually got a rear clip to replace for someone else soon, so this is good food for thought.

Bumping this thread again as executing this properly is a must. Thanks
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

I'd replace the rear apron and bumper mounts together, cutting where the rain gutter ends. Thats an easier section to cut and weld accurately. The upper piece is difficult. You could just remove the inner part like I did, and be extra careful to get it back with the correct curve. Or maybe replace it with the outer louvers. Hide the top weld under the rear window rubber, and make the other welds straight down about an inch in from the rain gutter.
I wouldn't do the whole clip unless I had a lot of time.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

Just stumbled onto this thread. I like esde’s approach, he is accounting for a lot of variables, but it also adds in a few more. What if you used some poster board, laid it onto the clip and drew a line where the cut is. Transfer that cut onto your shell. Then take a look at where those cuts will be made. Scratch your head, go to bed, get up the next day and go over the work (in your head) that will need to be done to make those cuts happen. Anything stand out that is alarming?

Remember you will need to work smart to MINIMIZE the heat. Know that you will cut the clip, to align perfectly (you will need to fashion a jig for this) with the cuts on the body. You will cut an inch away from the final line and then SLOWLY trim away metal until you have perfect alignment. Once there, you will be welding SLOWLY! You are welding a couple of tack welds at a time, in separate areas of the clip and then immediately sponging them down with water. Should go something like, zappp, zappp, grab the sponge, psst, psst, zappp, zappp, psst, psst…….. then hammer, hammer, hammer, check alignment, maybe grind down some other areas previous welding, then back onto welding.

The biggest tool needed is patience! Don’t forget to use it!

FWIW. I also had to weld the bottom of the vents. Took me several days to weld and hammer it all together. It was the metal shrinking that put the largest fight up. As long as you make great template (I use 1/2” light weight MDF) BEFORE you cut, you have something to measure the curve with! But even at that my curve is slightly off. I still have a bit more hammering to go, but I also have bad tennis elbow, so can only hammer for so long.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Ragtop rotted rear clip, looking for advice Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I'd replace the rear apron and bumper mounts together, cutting where the rain gutter ends. Thats an easier section to cut and weld accurately. The upper piece is difficult. You could just remove the inner part like I did, and be extra careful to get it back with the correct curve. Or maybe replace it with the outer louvers. Hide the top weld under the rear window rubber, and make the other welds straight down about an inch in from the rain gutter.
I wouldn't do the whole clip unless I had a lot of time.

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Just stumbled onto this thread. I like esde’s approach, he is accounting for a lot of variables, but it also adds in a few more. What if you used some poster board, laid it onto the clip and drew a line where the cut is. Transfer that cut onto your shell. Then take a look at where those cuts will be made. Scratch your head, go to bed, get up the next day and go over the work (in your head) that will need to be done to make those cuts happen. Anything stand out that is alarming?

Remember you will need to work smart to MINIMIZE the heat. Know that you will cut the clip, to align perfectly (you will need to fashion a jig for this) with the cuts on the body. You will cut an inch away from the final line and then SLOWLY trim away metal until you have perfect alignment. Once there, you will be welding SLOWLY! You are welding a couple of tack welds at a time, in separate areas of the clip and then immediately sponging them down with water. Should go something like, zappp, zappp, grab the sponge, psst, psst, zappp, zappp, psst, psst…….. then hammer, hammer, hammer, check alignment, maybe grind down some other areas previous welding, then back onto welding.

The biggest tool needed is patience! Don’t forget to use it!

FWIW. I also had to weld the bottom of the vents. Took me several days to weld and hammer it all together. It was the metal shrinking that put the largest fight up. As long as you make great template (I use 1/2” light weight MDF) BEFORE you cut, you have something to measure the curve with! But even at that my curve is slightly off. I still have a bit more hammering to go, but I also have bad tennis elbow, so can only hammer for so long.

Thank you both for your guidance. I was a metal fabricator and welder in a previous life, but not on sheet metal....so the learning curve will hopefully be quicker than most. I like the sectional approach as it allows the structure to remain more sound when replacing sections instead of hacking the whole back of the car off. The template method is a great idea!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: