Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

30 pict 2 question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lincolnlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

Just rebuilt my 30 pict 2 and it wont idle down when i turn the screw on the left with the spring around it. It does nothing. Sorry i dont know the name of it off hand but the internet has lead me to believe that it only has 2 screws and one is sealed so you cant change. It runs good just idles high. If i could idle it down id be happy. And no its not running crazy high where it seems like shes going to blow. Wondering if any one else has had this problem. Thanks Cool
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

Could be the pilot or main jet are way TOO BIG. Also is the choke wide open??
Lincolnlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

Yes the choke is open. If i close it it just gets higher. Btw its on a 1600cc dual port. But idle is steady just high. Some one on the site posted about a way to adjust on top the bowl but i see no screw. Idk if you had any idea about that. But hey thanks for responding
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

Here is a link to an exploded diagram of the carb with the correct terminology. Please check it out and then explain exactly what you are doing to change your idle.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/carb_sheets/solex_68to74.jpg

Here are links to explain how to set your choke properly:

http://www.vw-resource.com/automatic_choke.html

http://www.vw-resource.com/choke2.html

Link to adjusting carb:

http://www.vw-resource.com/carb.html#adjust
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
tonys1pr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

Just a thought, Is there enough slack in the accelerator cable to actually allow the throttle to close further and reduce the idle speed?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

tonys1pr wrote:
Just a thought, Is there enough slack in the accelerator cable to actually allow the throttle to close further and reduce the idle speed?

Yes - disconnect the attachment at the carb and make sure. Also - is the spring strong enough to close the throttle arm? How about some photos.

And what year is yours? Earlier models had different type of return spring design.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Lincolnlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

I will get more pics when i get home. Im at work Sad but yes the throttle cable is unhooked and ill check the spring tonight along with some pics. Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

Sounds this could be the reason I won't use the 30PICT-2, it contained a new emissions modification of having locked-in-place metering screw that prevents proper cleaning and any gunk in will muck up the idle circuit. I'll take a 30PICT-1 any day over it.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lincolnlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

I looked over the stuff sharp 64 gave me and i believe i have it fixed. The biggest help seemed to be actually turning the air correction jet. It is idling perfectly now. Fingers crossed tho.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 30 pict 2 question Reply with quote

The air correction jet, really? Never heard of that one before, while it occupies the passenge that the fuel for the idle circuit is drawn, it should be centered and not affect the idle in any way (its function are more at higher RPM). Or did you mean the idle fuel (pilot) jet? Now that is a known problem, needing to loosen it to allow the idle circuit of flow, and an issue that I've certainly encountered but have never been able to understand why it happens. I'm well known for drawing diagrams illustrating technical details, but not for this, as I've never been able to figure out why a pilot jet could "pinch off" when properly tightened. But it does happen!

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: