Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holding a Swing Axle transaxle on am engine stand
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustman985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Holding a Swing Axle transaxle on am engine stand Reply with quote

I'm working on a '65 Ghia for a client, and he insists on using a cheap EMPI engine stand that he picked up off Craigslist for the work on his Ghia. All of the engine work I did on the stand, but the transmission needs a few gaskets changed out (someone over filled it and blew out the axle tube gaskets). My question is, is there any harm in putting the transaxle up on the engine stand? Will the weight of the transaxle warrant the risk of cracking or warping the bell housing? I've got it up on the stand with a stool suporting the nose right now, but will it be alright if I stop supporting it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Holding a Swing Axle transaxle on am engine stand Reply with quote

It's fine to hold the trans that way, it will not warp or crack it. As long as your stand is not bending you don't need to support it. The factory stand had 2 additional arms that would bold the axle tubes. Over filling probably didnt make the side cover gaskets to blow out, they tend to leak if high mile or have been abused at some point or not torqued properly on a earlier repair
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Dustman985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Holding a Swing Axle transaxle on am engine stand Reply with quote

I'll be sure to note it during reassembly. Any experience with silicone on those gaskets? Is it alright to coat them with a little black Permatex?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Holding a Swing Axle transaxle on am engine stand Reply with quote

I would pm msmscott and ask for his reccomendation. I have used ultra gray on them with good results
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Holding a Swing Axle transaxle on am engine stand Reply with quote

How exactly would one overfill the transmission? Fill until it leaks out, Done. Question
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Holding a Swing Axle transaxle on am engine stand Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't build a swingaxle without adding axle tube stiffeners. With a set of these on non-warped flanges, you won't have to rely on sealant to cure your oil leaks. https://weddleindustries.com/product/1001947
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Holding a Swing Axle transaxle on am engine stand Reply with quote

Be very careful manuvering it...it Will tip right over on that stand! I have the same stand.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Holding a Swing Axle transaxle on am engine stand Reply with quote

Not overly impresses with that particular stand design...

I prefer something a little more stable...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: