Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

It almost looks like you have a couple engine bolts missing, which seems hard to believe.

Were the transmission holes that the two lower engine studs go through, wallowed out a lot? Wallowed out so much that if the engine bolts were loose, the engine would rock?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
It almost looks like you have a couple engine bolts missing, which seems hard to believe.

Were the transmission holes that the two lower engine studs go through, wallowed out a lot? Wallowed out so much that if the engine bolts were loose, the engine would rock?

Tim

No, not wallowed out at all. But I'll check to make sure none of the 4 engine boots came loose. I'm on a bus passing thru Baltimore on the way home from NYC. I'll check today if there's enough light when I get home. Looks to me like the left rear mount failed.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ok, I think I found the problem. If you look closely in this video, you'll see the rubber of the engine mount is separated from its metal casing along the top edge, where it is connected to the bell housing. There's grease squishing in it when I wiggle the engine back and forth. Don't mind my heavy breathing.

Link

These aren't much more than a year old either. I'll have to check my receipts, I may have bought the lower cost versions from CIP1. I'll get the replacements from WW. I checked on west coast metric, but i don't think the ones they're currently selling are German or Italian made. I'll call them just in case, as I prefer WCM over WW for most rubber items, bushings, window scrapers, etc.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Just got off the phone w/WW and WCM. Neither carries German or Italian made ones, only Brazilian. Sucks.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Not everything from Brazil is bad. Either way, you’ve got to change them out. I have to wonder where the “grease” (I assume it’s oil) is coming from, though.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

[EDIT] Tim, it's what you referred to a couple of pages back as the "curse of the '74". I have to agree almost, i've had more things pop-up w/this one in the 1.5 years I've owned it than I would've imagined possible after DRIVING TO NC TO INSPECT IT IN PERSON BEFORE BUYING IT!!!

But, i gotta admit, I love the little car.

[EDIT] That grease came from the time last fall when the bolts on the inner driver-side CV had loosened up. I think it's somewhere in this thread. As the CV separated from the tranny flange, the grease sprayed everywhere underneath. I'll clean that up when I get the new mounts and drop the engine. It should be warmer sometime...soon, I hope.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, the first couple years I had my ‘74, I had to replace all kinds of stuff—and also, whatever those items attached to. I finally had months with no issues, the several months ago, I told my wife, I’d replaced everything but the alternator; and wham, that bastard—which the PO hadn’t put that many miles on—started pootering out on me when I was returning from a car show.

But now, I haven’t had any big issues for quite awhile. A few minor ones, like my fuel gage doesn’t read as full as it once did, and a door mechanism that needed attention. But, all in all, I guess once you replace everything, it’s pretty much like a new car. Watching the progress on yours, I can see that you’ve pretty much made it new again.

I think your issue now was using inferior parts in an area where you thought it wouldn’t matter, and now you have to do it all over.

I hate having to do things twice!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1366654

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Hey, why do things once when you can learn to do them right the 3rd or 4rth time, eh...? Confused Heh heh...

Anyway - Bill, thanks for the link, but this is a '74 so it uses the later mounts. Although I suppose I could replace the carrier and go w/the earlier German mounts....hmm....

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Just got off the phone w/WW and WCM. Neither carries German or Italian made ones, only Brazilian. Sucks.

Vamram,

Have you tried giving CBPerformance a call? They seem to have good quality stuff.
I think these are your year mounts. Sorry if they aren't they have a bunch and I'm not always good at ID'ing specifics.
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6163.htm

If not, here's the listing of mounts on CB
http://www.cbperformance.com/searchresults.asp?sea...amp;page=1

Maybe worth a call/email?
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Yep, those are the ones. But at $12 for the pair, guaranteed they're not German!! CB does sell a really nice looking set of German ones for the pre-'73 Bugs. I could go that route by changing the transmission carrier to an earlier one, but I don't know if I would also have to change the nose cone and front mount...?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

buy the earlier saddle and you can get the better mounts. it'll keep your engine from shaking so much Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1999766
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I think going retro to the pre-'73 carrier and German-made mounts will be the way to go... Unfortunately, I had already ordered the replacements from WCM when the idea popped up...I'll see if I can return them when they arrive in the next couple of days. Or, I'll keep them as spares, what the heck. Veremos.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ok - i've decided to go w/the pre-'73 style rear tranny mounts. I can pick up the carrier from Buggy Man out here for next to nothing. Should I go German rear mounts or get a set of the Rhino ones like CBperformance and other online vendors sell? I found a vendor that has the rhino ones for $5 < the German ones. Waiting to see what shipping works out to, but for $5 I'm not going to sacrifice quality for originality in this case.

When I do the mounts, I'll also replace the case seal, the flywheel o-ring and the intake manifold boots. I'm actually still running w/the ultra-copper-RTV-repaired intake boot!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I went w/the Rhino ones sold by SoCal parts. Side note - 1st time i've bought from SoCal parts in years. Had a couple of unpleasant experiences w/them, but the price was right this time so....i went with them.

While I wait for the Rhino mounts to arrive, I have a question about the rear-end klunk that I get when I let off of the gas while in gear.

The symptom is that when accelerating in the low gears - especially 1 or 2nd, if I let off on the gas pedal rapidly, like foot off pedal and let it slap back, I get a hard almost violent clunk which sounds/feels to me like it's coming from the right rear. As if a hammer is hitting some solid piece of steel. I DON'T get the clunk when I rev up the engine and let go of the gas while in neutral.

I have an obviously bad engine mount. Would that bad mount allow such a clunk to happen in the rear because the one bad mount allows that much torque to be transmitted elsewhere? Or am I looking at something else perhaps? I'm guessing that a broken torsion arm would result in the car always sagging severely to the broken side, although I've never had one nor seen it. Again, I *think* this is coming from the rear. But I suppose it could be the front.

Thanks,

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Both sets of mounts came in, Rhino from SoCal (packaged by CBPerformance) and Brazilian ones from WCM.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Ok, I picked up a carrier for $10 that still had the ORIGINAL German engine mounts semi-attached.

You can see the VW part number on the rubber, and honestly the rubber appears to be in nearly perfect condition!!

I'm tempted to use them. The Rhino ones will need a longer bolt to attach them to the carrier as you can see in this picture. There's not a lot of wiggle room between the carrier and the bell housing, so i'm not sure how these will fit w/a longer bolt.

The carrier cleaned up nicely. I meant to paint it black but the can of leftover engine paint I had w/the black lid actually was blue.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

madworks wrote:
vamram wrote:

What is that hose running past the pedals towards the rear of the car?

Thought I'd add this footnote to the thread. I didn't know these cables were still made but AlmostHeavenWV posted this link in another thread. Wolfsburg West carries them.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=133711791

And, I have the car parked now, will drop the engine during this week and replace the rear transmission mounts w/pre-'73 style flat ones. Not sure if I'll use the rhino ones if I can't find a screw that's the right length that won't interfere w/the transmission case. I'm also replacing the window scrapers in the driver side door and doing some rust repair along the bottom outside edge were the scraper gets inserted.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Victor, I bought those footwell cables a few years ago. They are useless without the sleeves. You need to find some suitable conduit that won’t crush, stays stiff (but bendable), and can accept the brackets on either end. Perhaps you might find some bicycle cable and remove the sleeves for this purpose. I’ve read that some owners use refrigerator water conduit, but I don’t know if it crushes under the weight of your feet.

I ended up getting two 1969 wheel-well actuators, where the actuating handles attach under the dash at the far left and right, in the wheel wells.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Thought I'd add this footnote to the thread. I didn't know these cables were still made but AlmostHeavenWV posted this link in another thread. Wolfsburg West carries them.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=133711791

Laughing Yeah, just me and my ridiculous "Beetle Parts List" WordDocument with links on links on links

Glad I could help
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 48

Jump to: