Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice project or Crack pipe? (71 Bay Window)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Nice project or Crack pipe? (71 Bay Window) Reply with quote

First I was thinking - hey, 7hrs up to Sault Ste. Marie - not bad. Second glance shows a much longer, flatter drive ahead of you! If you preferred, you should have no issues retracing your route through the States to head home -- especially if those Sask plates stay on. Presumably, you'll get a bill of sale from the current owner too, more than enough for proof of origin.

Good luck!!
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nice project or Crack pipe? (71 Bay Window) Reply with quote

Here in the UK that's pretty average condition for a project bus. Many are far worse. I've restored half a dozen from that condition. "Not too bad" we'd call it over here. Very Happy

My own bus was worse and had approx 350 hours just grinding and welding but I have a lot of experience restoring buses and my time is free. If you're doing that in spare time and don't want your wife to divorce you it's going to take you quite a few years.

But...why not? You know yourself better than we do. Some people chop it up and get despondent, some take to body repairs and welding like duck to water.
Silverbullet91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice project or Crack pipe? (71 Bay Window) Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone for the honest opinions. I asked and did a lot of reading before I'm actually grabbing it to see what I'm getting into before I sink time and money into this.

The scale of Canadian road trips is funny, someone mentioned shortest distance cutting through another country and its funny but true. Our outbound trip will take us from Ontario through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota. Five US States only to end up back in the same Canadian province (actually it's not the shortest way but my co-driver wants to go that way). From destination we could drive five hours west and still be in Ontario and from our starting point we could drive five hours east and still be in this province and almost in Vermont. The return trip could be across the "top" of Ontario, road-wise anyway, which is flat and good for towing but we will probably brave the hills of Lake Superior's North and East shores to stop in Sault Ste. Marie for the night as my co-driver (Dad) wants to visit a friend there.

A nod to Spike0180 for use of the word 'plethora', not in the lexicon of most automotive forums and that speaks well of the crowd here. I'm exhausting myself reading all the how-tos and tips and tricks on this site. Now I see why vintage VW owners are such a fraternity, maybe more so than Jeep guys of which I am one.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice project or Crack pipe? (71 Bay Window) Reply with quote

Driving through USA also saves on the cost of gas and hotels

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice project or Crack pipe? (71 Bay Window) Reply with quote

Canada.. where if your car gets sick it bankrupts you

US... where if you get sick it bankrupts you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: