Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rewiring '73 Super
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KCh30allener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Rewiring '73 Super Reply with quote

New wiring harness does not have grey with black stripe wire from dash (fuse number 10?) and brown with black stripe running to dash and to mid car???? I cannot locate either on wiring diagram. ? Rear window defrost? Also need relay for rear window defrost (old one drown).
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring '73 Super Reply with quote

I think these wires are for intermittent wipers. Take a look at the "additional wiring" diagram for 1973 here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The diagram shows two gray/ black stripe wires coming off fuse #10, one goes to the wiper motor and the other to the intermittent wiper switch.

The brown/ black stripe wire also pertains to the intermittent wipers, it goes from the intermittent wiper switch to the intermittent wiper relay.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring '73 Super Reply with quote

The Wiring Works wiring harness does not have wires for the seat belt warning system (brown/black to front seats and small red/black to transmission). After replacement, the large wiring connector in your dash will have six wires on the main harness side rather than eight. The gray wires are tail lights, although the stripes may not match.

Here’s the OEM defrost relay for under the rear seat.

https://www.bughaus.com/relay_0332019150.htm
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring '73 Super Reply with quote

Actually, the two black/grey wires coming from the fuse have two slightly different purposes:
    1) wire to wiper switch controls low/high or intermittent speed and this current is passed to the wiper motor to control the speed.
    2) this wire that runs directly to the wiper motor allows the motor to continue running even after the switch is turned OFF. The power coming from the switch stops immediately when turned OFF but the motor will continue to operate until the arms return to the parked position. In the park position the current from this second wire is disrupted so the motor stops with the wiper arms parked. Without this wire the wipers will stop in the middle of the windscreen!

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring '73 Super Reply with quote

KCh30allener

you got ASHMAN40..... Very Happy

do as he says and all will be fine my friend.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring '73 Super Reply with quote

KCh30allener wrote:
New wiring harness...

Obvious question... did you buy the correct wiring harness for your car? Check the description on the packaging to make sure you weren't sent the wrong harness. If you bought it online can you post the link?
The harness for a SB will be different from a STD Beetle.

KCh30allener wrote:
... does not have grey with black stripe wire from dash (fuse number 10?)

Did your new harness come with the wiper switch plug that connects to the wiper switch pegs under the steering column? '73 SB would have come w/ a steering column wiper switch. What are the wire colors for the plug? Maybe your new harness is using different colored wires?
I find it strange that you are asking about a colored wire that your new harness DOES NOT have? Normally I'd expect a question like, "I have an extra pink/yellow wire and I don't know where it goes?" Or something like, "Nothing connects to my wiper switch. Which of these extra colored wires goes to the wiper switch?"
You mentioned grey/black wires from fuse #10, sb001 assumed your were asking about wiper switch/motor wiring based on the fuse and wire colors. If your harness has other colored wires dedicated for the wiper switch/motor we should be focusing on getting these correctly connected.

KCh30allener wrote:
... and brown with black stripe running to dash and to mid car????

Again, you are asking about a wire that you DON'T HAVE. Should we be instead chasing a wire you DO HAVE and trying to figure out how it should be connected?

KCh30allener wrote:
I cannot locate either on wiring diagram. ? Rear window defrost? Also need relay for rear window defrost (old one drown).

Please confirm which wiring diagram you are using? The one from this site (below)?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or are you using a diagram provided with the wiring harness? Have you compared the diagrams? Many of the ones that come with the harness are very basic and may not actually match the OE harness and colors may be different. I saw one that was clearly hand drawn. Nothing wrong with hand drawn as long as the diagram correctly wires things together. Using the wrong colored wirers can make its VERY difficult to communicate what connects to what and later troubleshoot problems because you have not common diagram to work from.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
KCh30allener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring '73 Super Reply with quote

Thanks to all. It was seat belts and taillights....wipers were fine
1979 Super Beetle CVT
KCh30allener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rewiring '73 Super Reply with quote

TO answer a few questions:

Yes, the harness was for a super, and came from JBUGS. Their technical folks tried to help, to no avail. I believe the wiring harness was original in the car, based on the appearance, coating, and connectors. And yes, it was missing wires. One for the block under the dash and one to the fuse panel. Seat belt alarm is off. Rear defrost was on new harness. Wiring diagram under the seat was helpful. Thanks to green1303. The wiring diagram provided was hand drawn and less than helpful. I do have the factory color drawing, but it is difficult when the wires are not present.

I have everything working, but waiting on a new relay for the rear defrost and I need to wire seat belts. Thanks again!
1979 Super Beetle CVT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: