Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Mother In Law coming for a few days so I had to move these out of the back room..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

This is the AC condenser and one of the intercooler heat exchangers. These will be covered by the backside of the air ductwork.

A nice shot of the under side

Another shot of the underside and the Oil pan.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Looks good, how soon before U can drive it?
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:

Its getting closer.. More than likely will take me a month to wire. It needs some paint rework on the cab. If I had to put a date on it I'd put it late July to early August. It does have to go to Vegas for SEMA in late October so any out and about will be minimal. Any shows it goes to before that will be loaded in an enclosed trailer.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
This is...one of the intercooler heat exchangers.

Nice thick cool air to ram down it's throat.

Neonist wrote:
...shot of the underside and the Oil pan.

Did you cast that? Looks bulletproof.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Neonist wrote:
This is...one of the intercooler heat exchangers.

Nice thick cool air to ram down it's throat.

Neonist wrote:
...shot of the underside and the Oil pan.

Did you cast that? Looks bulletproof.

Pan Is From Small Car. Apparently the EG33 is a popular Vanagon swap.
I had planned on going dry sump but once I calculated it all up would be over 4K to make it all work.

I went liquid intercooler because I could drop the charge air temps 5deg below ambient. With the intake I built the intercoolers are built inside of it allowing me to run two small bar and plate intercoolers, one for each bank. Very low pressure drop and heat soak is dramatically reduced due to a cooled intake.
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

This is my replacement for the factory defroster tube. This pipe has been split in half and a divider welded in so that both air for the dash vents and defrost ducts can be fed from the VintageAir unit. On the underside the ductwork moves thru an cavity built into the floor.

tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Very very cool project. Can I ask where you sourced that bevel box for your steering set up? I'm thinking about doing something similar on my sc and can't find a good option.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Very very cool project. Can I ask where you sourced that bevel box for your steering set up? I'm thinking about doing something similar on my sc and can't find a good option.

This box came from a honda passport. The steering shafts came from a honda s2000. I had to weld a joint onto the shaft to mate up to the Appleton rack. There is a VW variant of this if you can find them. I found one in the UK from a mid 2000s van. Had it shipped over and ended up being bad.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:

Its getting closer.. More than likely will take me a month to wire.

What ECU are you going to run? Subbi or a stand-alone? What type of boost and hp to you expect?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
Neonist wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:

Its getting closer.. More than likely will take me a month to wire.

What ECU are you going to run? Subbi or a stand-alone? What type of boost and hp to you expect?

I am running a Haltech elite 2500. With a WB-2 to run dual wideband O2 sensors. Planning on starting with 5 to 6lbs of boost and working up from there. Bottom end should be able to handle 14 to 15 and with the engine protection the haltech has it shouldn't be a problem. At 5lbs I should see around 375 at the rear and 450 at the 12lbs mark. I'm thinking 375 should be plenty for this truck. But it does give me room to move if the truck will handle power. Boost control is also handled by the haltech. Turbos are good for 385 each so more than enough turbo.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Quote:
I am running a Haltech elite 2500. With a WB-2 to run dual wideband O2 sensors. Planning on starting with 5 to 6lbs of boost and working up from there. Bottom end should be able to handle 14 to 15 and with the engine protection the haltech has it shouldn't be a problem. At 5lbs I should see around 375 at the rear and 450 at the 12lbs mark. I'm thinking 375 should be plenty for this truck. But it does give me room to move if the truck will handle power. Boost control is also handled by the haltech. Turbos are good for 385 each so more than enough turbo.

Sounds great! Yes that should be plenty of power lol. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Amazing fabrication and problem solving displayed, looking forward to seeing it all finished.
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

The engineering on this thing is badass! I'm a purist for the most part, but appreciate a good custom when it is made from something that is already messed up, not a good original paint car, and that was exactly the case here, nice job taking a parts car and making something cool. I have a bunch of bus parts, an SVX engine, and an idea for what I'd like to build out of it all, but it won't be anything like this, that's for sure and at the snail's pace I work at, best case scenario won't be done in the next decade. But who knows, threads like this inspire me to get out and work on stuff. I just got a bus back on the road in two weeks that had been parked for over 20 years. Went through all the stock systems on that, so maybe there is hope.

Can't wait to see this on the road. If you make it to Arizona shoot me a message, I'd love to shoot a feature on this.

Richard

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Wiring is so tedious. So the engine component is all finished as well as all the plumbing and mechanicals on the engine. Im hopeful that the rest of the truck goes smoothly.

Thank you all for the comments!!
Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

With the addition of A/C I don't need the overhead fresh air system. I also didn't want to cut into the dash of this truck as it is one of the very few parts that was salvageable from the original truck. I utilized the area in the overhead fresh air system to build a custom LCD screen that will provide me with the gauges I wasn't going to be able to put in the dash. Below is what the display will show. The Haltech ECU has an interface that will push data onto this image and animate this gauge. I will post a video up once I have it up and going.

Neonist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2252956788053493&id=192498610765998

Its started!!
Black hound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Looks and sounds epic sir! 10 out of 10 for this build.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Nice.
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 65 Single Cab revival. Purist You may want to stay away.. Reply with quote

Neonist wrote:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2252956788053493&id=192498610765998

Its started!!

Very cool, can't wait to see it on the road.

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: