Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting GLS to a MV
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

Outside of the holes in the floor for the middle seats are there any other "gotchyas" with converting the GLS interior to the MV interior...

There are a few pretty nice vans out there that are GLS with some of the major preventative work done.... And it seems there are a few MV's with intact interiors at the parts yards... why not????

Also, has anyone put on the seat swivel form Eurocampers.com? Any feedback?

Thanks
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

i'm not familiar enough with the GLS to know the particulars but the fold down bench seat doesn't seem special... just bolts down.

The interior trim with curtain buttons could be replicated just by screwing in the buttons.

Seems doable.

There are a few different dif seats.. one with base is cool but rattles.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

If the T4 is anything like the T3, then in addition to the welded in jumpseat floor receptacles, there might also be a weld in bracket behind the swing out table. Other than those items, everything else seems swappable. I think the rear bed platform and supports are different between the MV and Weekender (due to the lack of rear A/C on the latter), so those items would need to come from an MV.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

Cole of CaveVan has a lot of seat swivel install experience...maybe he can chime in.

It is pretty well documented in some of his build threads too, so check those out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

Casey has hit most of the list. I'm drawing a mild blank here but I *think* the rear seat captive nut locations are also different between the GLS bench and MV bench/bed.

Indeed there is a welded in support in the left long panel. The rear facing seat mounts are tack welded on top of the floor, not captive in the floor.
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

I have the table, table mount bar with hinges, support rod and brackets, and side interior panel. The special brackets for the bed/ seat to latch onto the side wall and the bolt down rear facing seat for sale (Boston area)
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

If anyone does this conversation and ends up with GLS rear seats they don't want (single or bench), PM me. I've got some things I want to try with those. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
If anyone does this conversation and ends up with GLS rear seats they don't want (single or bench), PM me. I've got some things I want to try with those. Smile

Here's a free set of GLS seats in the Bay Area:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/d/free-set-of-eurovan-gls-seats/6571675999.html
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

Thanks @greenlaker!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenlaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
Thanks @greenlaker!

You bet.

Grey Vanagon
'92 Mercedes-Benz 400E
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

@ ideanerd: Now you're messing with our heads -- transforming your weekender into GLS.

Shocked
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

@Itsamoto: I like to keep people on their toes. Wink

I set them in there just for fun. Very Happy Mainly what I was after are the two single seats. What I'm planning for them in Round 2 of my "Bento Box Tetris" experiments is to secure them with aircraft seat L-Track (going to rip out the floor of this van), such that they can be located in various places inside. The fact that they fold down = easy to position a bed over. Smile

Just to have more options to work with, I'd still like to get a GLS middle bench seat too. Did they make those in later-year vans, or just the earlier short-nose ones?...anyone know? I've only see them in the short-nose vans (the upholstery looks a little different, too).
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Converting GLS to a MV Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:

Just to have more options to work with, I'd still like to get a GLS middle bench seat too. Did they make those in later-year vans, or just the earlier short-nose ones?...anyone know? I've only see them in the short-nose vans (the upholstery looks a little different, too).

They were installed up to early 2000. I don't think they ever came with the later upholstery like 01-03s but I'm not certain of this detail.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: