Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

411 Battery (I am a bonehead)
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: 411 Battery (I am a bonehead) Reply with quote

So I think I finally have this ride ready to roll, but I need to get a new battery... It's been sitting a while and the old one's toast.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a battery for a 411? (August 1972 model)

Thanks!
Loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 411 Battery (I am a bonehead) Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
So I think I finally have this ride ready to roll, but I need to get a new battery... It's been sitting a while and the old one's toast.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a battery for a 411? (August 1972 model)

Thanks!
Loren

For the standard battery try Interstate battery. You are looking for a 45 amp hour battery. Group size 42....listed as part # MT-42 with 500 cca.

You should also check to see if their battery for an 83 Vanagon will fit physically and has the same terminal location and sides. Its an MT-41 series with 650 cca.

Be absolutely sure that if you get a stock configuration battery with the terminals on the top that it has the plastic covers....or else it will short on the springs in the seat....and that positive and negative are on the correct sides. A bonus is to make sure it has the ledge around the bottom to work with the nattery clamp.

Also ask them about their AGM....glass mat style batteries and if they have one in the seriea you need.

NAPA has a good battery in the group 42 series as well. BUT....they list a group 45 battery that supposedly FITS the 411/412....but it does not....because on group 45 batteries the terminals are reversed.

Here is a really good site/page that shows each battery series and its dimensions and lists which sides the terminals are in and has a sketch of the layout of each battery.

http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 411 Battery (I am a bonehead) Reply with quote

Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me, Ray.

I *think* had put one of these in there originally: https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/sli/bci-group-42/sli42

Of course, that was two years ago, and the car has been on and off a tender - so this thing's toast.

Am I on the right track w/ this one?
Thanks!
Loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 411 Battery (I am a bonehead) Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me, Ray.

I *think* had put one of these in there originally: https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/sli/bci-group-42/sli42

Of course, that was two years ago, and the car has been on and off a tender - so this thing's toast.

Am I on the right track w/ this one?
Thanks!
Loren

The sad part...is that there will be no batteries ...or very few...that you can buy outside of a dealer in the US that will last like old batteries used to. There are no sources of virgin lead left in the US. The last American lead smelter was shut down in 2013.

ALL lead acid batteries are made of recycled lead...which is not pure enough to last very long without calcium and other impurities bridging cells.

The reason why NEW car batteries last a good long time...is because the car manufacturers buy imported batteries made with virgin lead....or US made batteries made with imported virgin lead. They are not going to pay for a battery failure on your car within the warranty period Wink

This is also why if you go to the dealer to buy a "VW quality" battery...its about $250. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: