Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rehab Inside or Outside First?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrailBear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

I just started a rehab of a '83 Westy and my first priority is getting the engine running. After that, i dont know whether i should tackle the outside body work and paint first, or build out the inside parts (fridge, cabinets, dash, bench seat, etc). Thoughts?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

I think you should get the van running/usable before any paint. You might underestimate the amount of mechanical work that is needed.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

I go for the inside first.
If you spend more time in it, than looking at it, inside first Wink

619 201 0310
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

My vote is for mechanical, then start on the interior, then back to the mechanical, repeat about 10x until you have the interior done. Then replace interior work with exterior, knowing you will be back to the mechanical intermittently.

This is where I'm at after about 3 years of being my van's caretaker.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

I agree with all of the above. Mechanical then interior then exterior.

If the van's been sitting at all, you'll want to get all of the mouse poop out ASAP.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

Engine/mechanical first, replace all old fuel lines. Stabilize exterior corrosion second, interior prep/build with notes on best practice to get these back out so as to address seam rust when time comes to do inside of seams prior to exterior finish and paint. Last last last would be bling, rims, etc. UNLESS you already need new rubber. In that case, safety rules.
TrailBear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

wow, The Samba doesn't disappoint.

Joetiger... spot on, removed a mountain of mouse poop and mouse castles from the walls and ceiling.

bobbyblack, any recommendations for stabilizing the exterior? Got several rust spots.

In the process of replacing wires and vac lines in the engine compartment that were chewed through by the rodents. Replacing the gas tank, and fuel filter. Fuel lines are next. Then flushing the coolant and refilling. Should be able to attempt to start after that.

If it starts (its definitely not going to), i will start thinking about any suspension/steering issues (looks like there is some cracked rubber in a lot of places).
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

I had a friend back in the day who had an old jalopy (66 Valiant?). The only part of the exterior he took care of was the hood. It was always clean and shiny. I asked him why he kept the hood so shiny and he said, "It's the only part of the car I see when driving."

Since the vanagon has no hood I'd say the interior first, maybe the dashboard. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

TrailBear wrote:

bobbyblack, any recommendations for stabilizing the exterior? Got several rust spots.

I've had some success with Ospho. Can be found at Sherwin Williams or internet. Use acid aproved brush. Don't get it on yourself. Best results I've had were when I used a steam wand [got myself a few over the years at second hand stores, designed for addressing wrinkled clothing]. So, brush it on, give it a good 20-30 minutes, steam it. next day, repeat. etc. When its gone to a good solid black, rinse it off and use a rustolium like primer in nearest color to your desired final color. Realize this is ugly. Live with it. Just enjoy the rig, and don't worry that its not pretty. Most people that look at Vanagons will never enjoy the experience, even if it were to be in pristine condition.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

Mine was a three year project.

I purchased a non running unmolested unit.

I pulled the engine and trans.

While that was out I redid everything on the chassis and the body.

The last thing done was the engine went back in.

That removed all temptation to stop short and call it finished!

It wasn't finished until I turned the key and drove away.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

get the van SAFE before any paint.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

I agree with most that a Vanagon can be a multi-year project starting with critical mechanicals followed by a mix of additional mechanical improvements and interior improvements. Paint can come last.

We’ve had Bullet (as in silver bullet, fast as a speeding bullet, etc.) for four years and we basically haven’t touched the exterior finish. The shiny new VW emblem for the grill I bought years ago? Still in the plastic bag. The to-do items of painting the washed out grills black? Still on the to-do list. The seam rust that will eventually need attention? Basically at a standstill (creeping slowly, but very slowly).

The van has gladly gone 30K miles over the past 24 months across dozens of states and provinces and national parks w/out a complaint about the paint. It’s got patina but it’s not even a good patina (body filler here, touch-up paint there). It also has little to zero rust underneath and solid foundation of mechanicals that’s at a state of ongoing maintenance now. I still see the paint blemishes and get nagging feelings about seam rust...usually when I’m opening the door to head out on a multi-week trip which I much prefer to sanding, etc.

Enjoy the process!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
TrailBear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

Quote:
Best results I've had were when I used a steam wand [got myself a few over the years at second hand stores, designed for addressing wrinkled clothing]. So, brush it on, give it a good 20-30 minutes, steam it. next day, repeat. etc.

Why use a steam want in-between?
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

Lets see some pics!
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

For me it was get it running, certified for road use and plated, yank the whole interior and take care of rust, etc. Then, upgrades and fixes.

No point paining if the rust will bleed through from the inside as they almost all inevitably do ...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

TrailBear wrote:
Quote:
Best results I've had were when I used a steam wand [got myself a few over the years at second hand stores, designed for addressing wrinkled clothing]. So, brush it on, give it a good 20-30 minutes, steam it. next day, repeat. etc.

Why use a steam want in-between?

No particular reason except that it has worked well for me. I've been keen on neutralizing the acid that Ospho is in a timely manner, and taking on the job over a few days, thus I apply the Ospho, let it cure a while, neutralize it. That way, the acid is not hanging around waiting to bite you if you touch it, or a kid or a dog or cat, you get the picture. Repeat next time. When its good and black, I cover all that with a decent rust primer. That would keep your metal from rusting further. Steam is particularly effective at getting Ospho to neutralize in seems.

Here is a good thread on this topic:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642311

-bobby
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

A lot depends on the person doing the work and what the desired finished product is. If you want a pristine van with the most efficient use of time, then pull the drivetrain and pull the interior, address the underside of the vehicle, paint it, install rebuilt drivetrain/suspension, install fresh interior.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rehab Inside or Outside First? Reply with quote

?Waldo?,

Indeed! For that kind of thing, I would need at least two Westy's... One to drive, and one to be tearing down to the ground and building back up, properly.

Hey, I think I will start looking right now!!!!!

BTW: where are the plans for the Vanagon Rotisserie ???

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: