Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Kombi Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was $3500 CAD too much for this?
Yes
74%
 74%  [ 37 ]
No
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 50

tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

That CAD 3.500,- is not a purchase price, that's money invested in order to learn how to weld on cars Laughing
And you WILL be welding Razz.... a lot of work will need to go into that bus if you want to get it towards a drive-able condition.
But in all fairness, it looks more like a parts car to me, than a restoration project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

frothbeast wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Decode your M-plate here http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php

389 unknown...
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adriano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Thanks for the M-Plate. Heater was installed and removed. Model was Perfection.
You can see a big hole in front and a cut made by torch on rear. White cables are still present.
Here the discussion:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547342&highlight=heater+perfection
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

adriano wrote:
Thanks for the M-Plate. Heater was installed and removed. Model was Perfection.
You can see a big hole in front and a cut made by torch on rear. White cables are still present.
Here the discussion:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547342&highlight=heater+perfection

Hey thanks for the info. I wondered why there was a vinyl hose running from the back to the front on the driver's side. It was feeding a gas heater.
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

In order to solve the problem of insufficient 'throw' or 'jack height' on most automotive jacks, I created a 'member' which goes in between the legs of my cherry picker. I have been using this on bugs for several engine pulls and I find it works pretty good if you don't get too rammy with it.

Obviously the transmission is being held in by willpower:

I have to use a strap to hold the engine because i designed it with a swivel underneath:

I have a nice heavy welding bench which can handle the weight of the engine cantilevered out:

I used some pipe in a pipe as a swivel, and some dexion (big boy mechano) to make a 'cradle' to support the engine underneath:

There was still some nice looking oil in there and I was able to turn it by hand:

The engine is a '71:

frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

engine compartment

frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend where I could buy the splined drive shaft for the Reduction Gear Box? I am in Canada and have used Cip before for bug parts. They don't carry the shaft, and mine was abused before I got to it. there are not enough threads to hold it on.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

frothbeast wrote:
Can anyone recommend where I could buy the splined drive shaft for the Reduction Gear Box? I am in Canada and have used Cip before for bug parts. They don't carry the shaft, and mine was abused before I got to it. there are not enough threads to hold it on.

You can try Concept1 (http://store.concept1.ca/) but likely you will need to get a used one. Try the classifieds here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Here I found the crown nut was on backwards because the thread had been mashed up:

I have had no luck finding a replacement

Last edited by frothbeast on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

And I removed the fuel tank which was well protected:

frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Now I have some choices to make......

Please chime in, even if it's to complain.....

I need to decide if I am going to attempt to weld in new "frame" bits with the "body" attached or separated.

Assuming i choose "body" off, where do I make the cuts over the front suspension area? I first assumed I would cut the "frame" away from the "body"(and not harm the "body"), since I am in the "frame" replacing business anyway. Now that I am underneath, I notice that over the suspension is the only good part of the "frame". I will have to shake some more rust out of there to get a real clear picture of what I can salvage, and what needs to go.

Is there any drawbacks to keeping it together, other than painting/welding/grinding from ridiculous angles?

Either way my first mission is to remove the glass, the wiring harness, and about 25 lbs of rust. and maybe the doors...
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Separating the body from the frame is no small feat. Though the frame may exist without the body the body cannot exist without the frame. There is no "cut line".
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Separating the body from the frame is no small feat. Though the frame may exist without the body the body cannot exist without the frame. There is no "cut line".
Kurt

I agree. I was contemplating the temporary steel that would exist in 'X' shapes just above the floor and also just above the front floor area.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

frothbeast wrote:
glideking wrote:
Kurt

I agree. I was contemplating the temporary steel that would exist in 'X' shapes just above the floor and also just above the front floor area.

I would consider removing and replacing sections piece by piece. That way you keep everything square for the most part.
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Hello fellow Canadian, I see that you have purchase a complete resto. I hope that you have sat down and calculated the cost to purchase all of the new metal that you will require. Check sources of WW and classic fab for examples. You will be surprised how quickly costs will arise. Then figure the amount of time and tools you will need to take on such a job. My guess it's not worth it. That rear frame rot next to the rear torsion housing was the deal breaker. Yes you can purchase new metal or you could patch in another donor section but what I have noticed is that there's not a lot of split window parts buses laying around for easy pickings. A lot of your source of parts will come from our friends in the USA but as you know the dollar exchange adds another 30% plus duty and taxes. Remember as this is only my opinion and I would use this as a parts bus. I have been able over the years been able to purchase some buses but they usually are missing interiors and drive trains. You have a good engine and other major mechanical parts plus hopefully a registration that you could use on a better shell. You will be happier taking a smaller loss now than when your knee deep in a pile of rust and credit card debt for all the stuff you had to purchase and your no further ahead.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

frothbeast wrote:
I need to decide if I am going to attempt to weld in new "frame" bits with the "body" attached or separated.

I would not do a frame off if your front frame and tool box are good.

From what I can see I would replace the frame rails from below. Get it stable on stands and build new sections of frame to fit. Once the two frame rails are done you can stabilize the body and put it on a rotisserie.

This bus is not likely worth fixing from a financial standpoint but could definitely be an adventure.
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

but could definitely be an adventure.

That is what I was after. Plus the eerie feeling of driving something you put together yourself and can't remember if you put all the parts back in.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

frothbeast wrote:

can't remember if you put all the parts back in.

You will find out at some point Laughing
Like I mentioned, it appears to be a parts car to me, but to others it might look like a welding challenge to build a car Cool
If you'll build the car: best of luck, and have fun on the journey!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frothbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

I primed my gas tank. Probably the only part of the van that needed little work. First i cleaned the solids out of the nipple, then I filled it up. No leaks so there it is, primed.

There's alot going on in that picture. Try to focus on the tank in the middle there.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 67 Kombi Build Reply with quote

Go ahead & repair the sender unit while you have it out, I fixed mine & it works great.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7706426#7706426

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: