Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation? Reply with quote

1974 KG Coupe - replaced wheel bearings and reassembled. I just realized I oriented the outer spacer differently on each of them.

Which is the right way to orient the outer seal? Bevel side in towards bearing or out towards the seal?

I've looked around the site and still confused by the descriptions.

Thanks,
Matt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation? Reply with quote

Drain hole needs to be at the bottom for sure.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation? Reply with quote

I might have mistyped my question. I did say seal in a question but what i meant to ask about was the orientation of the outer spacer. Bevel side in towards bearing or bevel side out towards seal?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation? Reply with quote

My apologies... I believe the top picture is correct. To be specific, we're talking about #13 in the picture correct?

Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation? Reply with quote

no, number 10, the spacer. Its got a beveled edge on the outside.

I did not have an oil deflector #13, unless I didn't know what I was looking at.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation? Reply with quote

Not sure then... Did this a few months ago, but don't remember the orientation of the outer spacer sorry. But you should have a #12, otherwise the oil won't be deflected back into the assembly.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation? Reply with quote

Both spacers have chamfers.
Both chamfers face the transaxle.

If you Reverse them, you may not be able to tighten the nut enough to slip in the cotter pin.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation? Reply with quote

Both face the transaxle? The inner is a little more obvious but I'm glad you say they face the same way. I just finishing switching the one. It seemed to make sense not t have the face of the spacer against the bearing. Now both chamfers face in towards the transaxle.

Thanks.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Outer Rear Bearing Spacer Orientation? Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Both face the transaxle? The inner is a little more obvious but I'm glad you say they face the same way. I just finishing switching the one. It seemed to make sense not t have the face of the spacer against the bearing. Now both chamfers face in towards the transaxle.

Thanks.

Yep.......

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: