Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radiator fan noise
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

So how many of you with AC can hear the radiator fan on low when it comes on- mine isn’t as crazy loud as high speed (which sounds like an F-15 taking off), but low is loud enough in mine when the AC comes on to be annoying. Just curious if a new motor with fresh bearings would quiet it down to the point of barely hearing it at a stoplight.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Pcforno on Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

Hello!

yes your bearings must be toast. You can fix it if you're inclined Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

So you can’t hear your fan on low at all Alika?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:

I have a hard time hearing mine when I'm driving.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

Right - but how about at a stoplight? Barely hear it or add to the cabin noise significantly?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

You hear it.
People look at you,
Welcome to Vanagon ownership!

Honestly it isn't crazy noisy, but you know its on.
As compared to my Prius at a light? Dead silent! Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

yeah, you WANT to hear that noise! it's feedback the AC fan trip system is working correctly. without that noise, you're just a clueless buffoon ambling thru life without a clue, possibly driving their AC condenser pressures into the straosphere. when you hear that noise, you know all is well with the relays, AC signals, and the Universe.

you're driving an honest-to-gosh machine that hasn't insulated you from the soft side of life. embrace it!!

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

I can hear my rad fan when the a/c compressor cycles, possibly not while driving but certainly at idle. I don’t believe the bearings are bad.

I believe Kourt has wired in a switch to manually turn off the rad fan when he deems it’s not needed. I’ve considered doing this but haven’t gotten around to it.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

Yeah I’ve just been on a van quieting kick recently. I did all over insulation, metal backed butyl liner, and mass loaded vinyl decoupler. Van is super quiet so I’m addressing last little things and seeing if I can get the fan any quieter, but it sounds like perhaps it’s pretty normal to hear the fan somewhat loudly on low at idle.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

You know it is really working when your at a stoplight and it sucks you forward. Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:

I mean you hear the blades, but not the bearings. It's all subjective appreciation. Plus it depends if you have a bigger fan or a smaller older fan Wink
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

the stock van fan will never be quiet.

it has a HUGE motor and 3 small plastic blades (air beaters)

modern fans have multiple blades in varied sizes to reduce the loud brrrrappp and harmonics.

it's not all that difficult to remove the old and install a modern fan, though i wouldn't recommend a 'cheap' off the shelf unit from FLAPS. at least use an OEM and make necessary modifications or look into a proper streetrod electric fan.

though fwiw I did use an off the shelf generic on our new 98 mystique back in 99 after it suffered front end damage.. and that lasted the 7yrs we owned it ok.

here's some good reading on the topic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=601997
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

for the rad fan there are 2 kinds of noises

- grinding noise -> bad bearing, need new rad fan or repair

- air flow noise, similar to a small turbo prop taking off.. -> normal, yup, very loud when the 3rd speed kicks in...

I panicked when I heard it the 1st time on a trip to Death Valley... Very Happy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

I once drove THROUGH Madison Wisconsin with my fan only on high jet take off speed!

Talk about being looked at! Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

Stage 1 fan: only turns on when the radiator reaches a certain temperature. I can hear it when sitting at idle, but not when driving.

Stage 2 fan: only turns on when the AC compressor is running. I can hear it when driving, but it's a low noise in the background, and I like AC so I accept it.

Stage 3 fan: only turns on when the radiator reaches a certain high temperature. I drowns out everything else, and heads will turn. I never hear this stage, as my van runs fine, even on the hottest days.

I have also had a fan motor go bad. The bearings were shot and the fan failed to operate. It was not noisy--just failed and not spinning with any real effect. I bought a used replacement from someone in Hawaii and it's working fine.

kourt
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Stage 1 fan: only turns on when the radiator reaches a certain temperature. I can hear it when sitting at idle, but not when driving.

Stage 2 fan: only turns on when the AC compressor is running. I can hear it when driving, but it's a low noise in the background, and I like AC so I accept it.

Stage 3 fan: only turns on when the radiator reaches a certain high temperature. I drowns out everything else, and heads will turn. I never hear this stage, as my van runs fine, even on the hottest days.

I have also had a fan motor go bad. The bearings were shot and the fan failed to operate. It was not noisy--just failed and not spinning with any real effect. I bought a used replacement from someone in Hawaii and it's working fine.

kourt

Did I sell you a fan motor a while back?
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

It is possible to update the fan control. While VW kept it super simple it is not very hard to modernize it so the fan speed is more needs dependant.
It requires new a pressure sensor, not a switch. You will also need a solid state controller. Figure about $250 plus in parts. You may need to change the fitting on the high pressure a/c line, so add evacuate and recharge to the cost. Don't forget we need to take engine temp into consideration, either variable or staged.
After the planning a nice Saturday project.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

I believe it was someone named Eddie with a white Subaru Westy.

kourt
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

Just finalized a new smallcar ac system. Replaced the OEM fan with a busdepot fan while in there. It comes on every few minutes when the new ac compressor has been running for a bit. It is loud. Very noticeable by cars next to me in traffic. Good news is the extra pull from the fan added 3mpg.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator fan noise Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

I believe it was someone named Eddie with a white Subaru Westy.

kourt

Perhaps Hawaii is teeming with friendly dudes selling Vanagon rad fan motors?

Just a thought. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: