Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cylinder head stud size
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetstock70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Anyone have a picture comparing 8mm stud and 10mm stud size differences? I'm a dumb person that cant tell the difference if I've got 8mm or 10mm and dont know how to measure mine
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Does your case have casesaver inserts? Probably 8mm.

EDIT: And I tried to find some pics. The best I was able to find was a 10mm to 8mm stepped stud.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

streetstock70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

my case has NO case savers. just threaded into case without savers.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

The "F" case had 10mm cylinder studs in it's native state, but that may have been altered.
Compare whatever is now there to the hardware visible in below pic, all 4 of which are 8mm:

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

streetstock70 wrote:
Anyone have a picture comparing 8mm stud and 10mm stud size differences? I'm a dumb person that cant tell the difference if I've got 8mm or 10mm and dont know how to measure mine

Got a set of open/closed end metric wrenches? Guess what 8 mm wrench will fit and what 10 mm wrench will fit.... Laughing
streetstock70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

is it that simple.?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Yep
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

streetstock70 wrote:
is it that simple.?

BTDT when the simplest solution is right there in front of one, and can not see it.

Just thought it was especially funny with your avatar.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

If the case is original it has 10 mm studs . Do you have the engine apart and can you get the engine letter code and number .
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Got a set of open/closed end metric wrenches? Guess what 8 mm wrench will fit and what 10 mm wrench will fit.... Laughing

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
streetstock70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

vin# 1102674687 ENGINE # B 6277081
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Maybe I’m missing something, but no wrench will fit on the stud, just the nut that is fastened to it. An 8mm stud takes a 13mm wrench to fit the nut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Maybe I’m missing something, but no wrench will fit on the stud, just the nut that is fastened to it. An 8mm stud takes a 13mm wrench to fit the nut.

Unless it's a head stud nut which is 15mm.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Cough up $3 and get one of these, valuable
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-utility-caliper-7914.html

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

The 8mm cylinder head studs have the same thread size and pitch as the nuts which fasten the generator or alternator stand; and fuel pump to the engine case. The nuts and bolts which are located around the outer edges of the engine case, top and bottom, also have the same size which is M8 x 1.25. Take any one of those nuts off and try to spin them onto either end of the stud. If the nut fits and spins easily, then you have 8mm studs. If you cannot get the nut onto the stud at all, then you have 10mm head studs.

Counter-check: The 10mm studs use the same thread size as the 4 large studs and bolts which fasten the engine to the transmission. Take a nut from that application and spin it onto either end of the head stud. If it spins on cleanly then you have 10mm studs.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:

Don't overthink this, "it ain't rocket surgery" as we used to say. An 8mm wrench will fit over an 8mm stud but not a 10mm stud, while a 10mm wrench will fit over both.

Sarge11B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

if it doesn't fit in the hole then its a bigger than 8mm.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
The 8mm cylinder head studs have the same thread size and pitch as the nuts which fasten the generator or alternator stand; and fuel pump to the engine case. The nuts and bolts which are located around the outer edges of the engine case, top and bottom, also have the same size which is M8 x 1.25

Yes, 8mm x 1.25mm

Rome wrote:
The 10mm studs use the same thread size as the 4 large studs and bolts which fasten the engine to the transmission.

10mm x 1.5mm
streetstock70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

THANKS ALL for your help. MY engine still has the stock 10 mm studs.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: cylinder head stud size Reply with quote

Good to hear you have that sorted out!

Ricksurfin
Pre-1961 VWs have same thread size for what every newer VW had to use 13 mm wrench/socket to turn any nut or bolt, BUT the pre-1961 VWs have a 14 mm nut and bolt head hex wrench/socket size. Any manufacture can decide hex size of the bolt/nut is smaller or bigger as needed. EG Toyota makes 12 mm hex copper exhaust nuts, that are the cat's meow for fitting onto VW exhaust systems. Copper does not seize up with corrosion with all the heat that goes thru the exhaust.

That is why one always goes by the thread size of the nut/bolt/stud, etc., then pitch of threads, and not the wrench/socket size.

Personally got to work at a fastener manufacturing shop for many years. Made parts to bolt buildings, bridges, and other structures down. Also got to make specialized SS bolts for very nasty/dangerous hot nuclear waste containers that were designed to last many thousands of years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: