Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Fuel Gauge & miles per gallon question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: 79 Fuel Gauge & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

my question has to do with a 1600 DP 79 super that has a carb

carb = solex SVA which means single vacuum advance only. It is not an SVDA or a DVDA.

fuel = regular unleaded. 89 octane

timing = 7.5 BTDC

vibrator, sending unit, speedo, fuel guage ETC...everything that has to do with fuel = BRAND NEW. I purchased them a few years ago, but car has not been running that great so there are not that many miles on theses parts to assume they are bad.

car runs like a gem, so I am not going to mess with anything in the engine compartment! (Please no suggestions about the carp/engine setup since it took me way too long to figure it out and get it correct.)

my issue = fuel guage reads just a bit over 1/2 & the tank is FULL and my Odomoter sometimes does not work (issue for another thread)

I NEED MY FUEL GUAGE TO BE AS CLOSE TO 100% ACCURATE AS POSSIBLE.

I have read multiple threads over the past 2 days and need some help since I just filled the gas tank to the very top = EXCATALLY 11 gallons & I really dont want to drain the tank and then refill multiple times testing the sending unit.

I am going to drive it this weekend and want to know how many miles I should expect to get on a FULL tank Question Question Question I will mainly be on flat roads crusing around 45-55MPH.

I have completed the following 2 speedy jims tests "TESTING THE GAUGE"
Pull the wire off the sender. The gauge should go to EMPTY. = YES THIS IS CORRECT
Take the sender wire and ground it (Ground it to chassis, not the tank). The gauge should go to FULL. = YES THIS IS CORRECT
If it passes both these tests, the gauge is good and any problems are in the sender. = OKAY, NOW I KNOW MY SENDING UNIT HAS AN ISSUE.

what are some easy tests to run on sending unit (without pulling tank) Question Question Question

i read taking off the 4 bolts/washers that hold the tank to the car and clean up to bare metal could help the ground.

any ideas?

thanks
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

Simplest way to adjust the gauge is to remove the sending unit and bend the float arm. It may not be going all the way up or all the way down because its hitting the top of the tank, and not able to go through its whole sweep.
I have a ground wire running from one of the sending unit screws (the ones that secure the unit to the gas tank) to a good ground, just to improve the ground of the sending unit.
Remove the sending unit and you can test how the gauge will act with the ignition on (not running). I bet you will find that the float wouldn't be able to show a full tank due to it hitting the top of the tank before it can complete its whole sweep. Prolly need to bend the float arm down. That's just how the aftermarket unit is right now.

EDIT: With no idea what mileage you are currently getting, I would go with a super conservative number...say 20mpg? So I would safely say you could get 220 miles on a tank. With this said, drive around with a 1 gallon tank of spare fuel, just incase.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

Does the current gauge function normally after the fuel drops below the halfway mark?

Attach a ground wire to the metal cap (sender) if no change then pull the sender, any other test require it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

I would also start with getting a good ground to the sending unit to see if that fixes it. But, You cannot assume that "brand new" parts are good. There are plenty of reports of bad parts right out of the box.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I would also start with getting a good ground to the sending unit to see if that fixes it. But, You cannot assume that "brand new" parts are good. There are plenty of reports of bad parts right out of the box.

Even more so with Asian country of origin.

Check out this thread. Helpful walk throughs of how to adjust the arm/stop tabs.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467361
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

Yeah your comment that the sending unit is NEW is kind of a red flag as I'm not sure good quality new sending units are available.

Additionally it's possible you have the wrong sending unit (maybe for a standard vs. a super, not sure if they are different).

However it also could simply be a ground issue in that the tank is not making a good ground connection to the body.

Test this theory by running a jumper wire from the tank to a good ground and see if this improves the accuracy of your fuel gauge reading, then report back.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

Went through this exact issue four months ago. Ended up running a ground wire from the headlight ground screw (clean that up and use some dielectric grease). Then, I removed the sending unit. Figured out the arm position of full and empty, while in the tank. Took precise measurements and removed sender. Made a jig to hold the sending unit and then with it connected to the car, key on, bent the arms to give me full when full and empty when empty. Lifted it to what I thought Reservoir should be, about a gallon, and made sure the arm measured about a gallon. Rechecked full and empty - all good. Reinstalled into the car. Drained the tank (only had a couple gallons in it at the time). Gauge read first white line or empty. Put 1 gallon in the tank, it was at the white line past the R. Filled it up, it was full. Put it all back together and have never thought about it again!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

I recieved new sending unit a while back and it wouldnt work at all. I ended up removing one of the nylon washers between one of the monting screws and it worked. grounding issue.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Gauge & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

Thanks for all reply’s.

I’m going to “try” to do tests tonight.

Sjbartnik, I used a jumper wire hooked directly to battery hooked to the ground wire from sending unit (I had taken the ground wire off the sending unit and hooked the other side of jumper directly to ground) = Guage still read 1/2 full.

Vw Jimbo, I will try a new ground hooking it from sending unit to headlight ground and will report back with result.

I am also going to clean all 4 bolts and holders that hold tank in place down to bare metal. I will report back with these results also.

Again, want to eliminate all possible tests prior to taking tank out. It has 11 gallons in it and I have nothing to empty it in.

I’m hoping it is just a ground issue

Thanks again.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Gauge & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

Also, I don’t know if guage is correctly working after 1/2 way mark. I have run out of gas before and did not look at guage to see where it was.

I have the right sending unit for SB. It has 2 floats and no screws holding it in. It twists on and there is a rubber washer/seal between the sending unit and the tank.
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Gauge & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

well, I was able to perform the following tests and I dont think I got any further than before the following tests...

1. I hooked a brand new wire with spade connector to the sending unit ground side and grounded it to a know good dround in the trunk area (headlight ground)

turned key to ON and and guage still reads about 1/2 or just a little over 1/2 full if I tap the glass on the speedo.

I then placed the original ground wire back on sending unit and did the following test...

2. I cleaned all 3 (for some reason I only had 3 holding my tank in & not 4 like there should be) holders down to bare metal using a grinder as well as cleaning the area on the trunk and chassy to bare metal. the bolts/screws that hold the metal pieces were in pretty good shape, so I did not have to clean them.

turned key to ON and and guage still reads about 1/2 or just a little over 1/2 full if I tap the glass on the speedo.

3. I then disconnected the original ground wire and used the brand new wire with spade connector to the sending unit ground side and grounded it to a know good dround in the trunk area (headlight ground)

4. I again tried the following test.... using the original ground hooked to sending unit, I disconnected the positive side on the sending unit and grounded it to the battery using a jummper.

turned key to ON and and guage went past 1/1 (full)

so based on all of the above, I think my guage, vibrator and all the other things behind the speedo and working properly and there is an issue with sending unit. I think I have eliminated possibility of a ground issue.

i am going to drive it this weekend and see how many miles I get to a full tank. I am going to run her until she is out of gas. I just hope my odomoter continues to work or I'm totaly screwed.

once the trailer picks me up (I dont want to drive around with gas in car since the interior is in 100% better than new, perfect condition and if I spill gas on the carpet, I may just die) & gets me home, I will take out sending unit and try to adjust arms based on the amout of gas I put in tank.

this is exhausting!

thanks all for all the ideas and tests. I will report back over the weekend.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Went through this exact issue four months ago. Ended up running a ground wire from the headlight ground screw (clean that up and use some dielectric grease). Then, I removed the sending unit. Figured out the arm position of full and empty, while in the tank. Took precise measurements and removed sender. Made a jig to hold the sending unit and then with it connected to the car, key on, bent the arms to give me full when full and empty when empty. Lifted it to what I thought Reservoir should be, about a gallon, and made sure the arm measured about a gallon. Rechecked full and empty - all good. Reinstalled into the car. Drained the tank (only had a couple gallons in it at the time). Gauge read first white line or empty. Put 1 gallon in the tank, it was at the white line past the R. Filled it up, it was full. Put it all back together and have never thought about it again!

You should write up a HOW-TO on this, with pictures, and get it posted in the stickies.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

You should write up a HOW-TO on this, with pictures, and get it posted in the stickies.

Soon. I will work on it, a little here and a little there. Maybe over the next year, I can knock it out!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Gauge & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

fwiw last summer had 2 dansk senders that didnt read correctly....an unknown brand of mexican sender from rock auto cured the problem....never had these issues when real VDO's were available
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Yeah your comment that the sending unit is NEW is kind of a red flag as I'm not sure good quality new sending units are available..

Yes, that was my though immediately as well. And doing that whole "bending the float arm" thing is more along the lines of "polishing a turd" than getting things RIGHT. Then again, I have a long history of fuel gauge buggering on the 62-67 setup, and a bit on the 68+ Deluxe style, but very little on the Supers. Back when I worked at the VW shop I guess the available sending units were not problematic, I know I installed a couple of them back in the 1995-2001 era and never had this kind of trouble.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Guage & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
Yeah your comment that the sending unit is NEW is kind of a red flag as I'm not sure good quality new sending units are available..

Yes, that was my though immediately as well. And doing that whole "bending the float arm" thing is more along the lines of "polishing a turd" than getting things RIGHT. Then again, I have a long history of fuel gauge buggering on the 62-67 setup, and a bit on the 68+ Deluxe style, but very little on the Supers. Back when I worked at the VW shop I guess the available sending units were not problematic, I know I installed a couple of them back in the 1995-2001 era and never had this kind of trouble.

I never had fuel gauge reading issues, until the Bug before this one. It blew my mind. Really thought that I got a bad part, so went and purchased another one. Same misreading. Ordered another one, same issues. Took one of those “new” units and connected the wires outside of the tank. With it connected and key on, I could see where the arms were at and what the gauge was doing. If I lifted the arm in its full position it read full, same with the empty spot. So, on to the other two units I had. Turned out they all could control the signal if allowed the range to do so, so something else was incorrect.

Pulled the tank and measured the hell out of it. Then made a wooden cube with one side open, which was an exact copy of the available area inside the gas tank where the arms pivoted. Turned out the arm was moving as high as it could but still not reading full, same with the empty swing. Started manipulating the arm by bending it. After breaking one sender, I finally found a sweet spot. Best five hours I spent on a gauge! There is a little more to it. Like I cleaned up the mounting points of the tank and ran an auxiliary ground, but my gauge is ACCURATE!

What is your thinking on how to make the gauge read more accurately. It may be polishing, but when given lemons, what do you do? I make lemonade!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Gauge & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

so I took her out today and drove a total of 220 miles excataly.

drained the remaining gas in tank and there was 1.75 gallos remaining (give or take a few drops of gas here/there)

that means I was getting approx 23.78 miles to gallon which I think is pretty good.

I noticed a "gas smell" when driving. i guess the tank was about 1/2 full when I noticed it. it was especially strong when turning both left and right.

I'm thinking that obviously the gas is sloshing more.

i posted pics of how I have everything hooked up and want to see if anybody has any suggestions before I take it apart to work on sending unit.

any suggestions are welcome!!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

garyloos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Gauge & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

Something else you might check.

When I installed my new dual float sender in my 1972 super I had the same problem until I notice that there were baffles in my tank. When I put sender in tank my float was hanging up on a baffle and would only would go to 1/2 full even when I had the tank full. I repositioned the sender a couple of times until it read full.

1972 Super Convertible
79bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Fuel Gauge & miles per gallon question Reply with quote

thanks for reply.

got tank out and here are some pics below.

question .... should I clean up the area on the tank under where the sending unit goes to "bare metal" to make sure I have a good ground?

right now, it has black paint under the seding unit (
first picture)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: