Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1938 Kabriolett info
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetlekey wrote:

i am talking about the pic, i need a pic of the rearwindow of car N# 31

Intriguing! Will you be making the top for car 31? Can't think of anyone better to take on such a job Wink
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

Another photo of the V-303 from the VW factory cornerstone ceremony.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Standing behind the car are, from left to right, Robert Ley, Jakob Werlin and Ferdinand Porsche.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlekey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
beetlekey wrote:

i am talking about the pic, i need a pic of the rearwindow of car N# 31

Intriguing! Will you be making the top for car 31? Can't think of anyone better to take on such a job Wink

maybe Cool

If you are searching for vintage keys, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/WagenmanufakturHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

Fascinating! I never knew Adolf tried the back seat. He was probably amazed at the ample space it offered.

In the video with Ferry driving, Adolf has relocated to the front passenger seat.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

Came across this picture

Not sure if it belongs in this thread but maybe someone knows more about the car and the picture? IIIA plate means Stuttgart during WWII, right?
IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

Mercedes 170 H cabrio I think.

Numberplate is from Stuttgart area, but quite early (1936?).
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

Wow, that was quick! Looks like you are right. That would explain the odd shaped engine lid. Can't trust these image banks... Wink. Mods: feel free to remove my post or leave it for educational purposes of course.
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

Just as a side note . . .

I created a scale version of the 1938 V303 IIIA-42803
KdF Wagen Convertible present at the Cornerstone Ceremony . . .

Check out this samba link Popcorn

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690480

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still fascinated by these early convertibles Very Happy

So was there ever any conclusion on which car this is or is it still a mystery?
kdf38 wrote:
You can also see the drop-in rear side windows and the first pic shows a bit of where it sits.
Mike

Blue Baron wrote:

Trunk looks interesting -- could it have had four wheel drive?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

I believe that was Ferry's personal car. I believe I posted about that earlier in this thread.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

But didn't Ferry's vert have the semaphores higher like here

and here (next to Dr Porsche's elbow)

I read back on page 17 and thought we only concluded the workshop was the same but not neccessarily the vert or am I mistaken? Did they move the semaphores up or down at some point? The black out covers suggest this is later in the war, right?
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
But didn't Ferry's vert have the semaphores higher like here?

Also note the polished hood handle, plated headlight surrounds and bumpers, different horn, and appearance of radio antenna.

Heinz Nordhoff
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

So if it is not the same which vert is it?
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:

Fascinating! I never knew Adolf tried the back seat. He was probably amazed at the ample space it offered.

In the video with Ferry driving, Adolf has relocated to the front passenger seat.

Guy with arm in the sling, is he the one that wrecked the Porsche prototype W30 that's posted in the other forum? Same era.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the status is of the restoration of the Hitler convertible? Did it ever get completed and did Beetlekey got to do the interior and top (with split window now!)? Just visited the Porsche sawmill in Gmund while on holiday and had to think about this thread Very Happy .
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

I think someone said that VW doesn't want to restore it and display it for fear that some may feel that it would be glorifying the original owner.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

That would be really narrow minded and such a shame for such an historically significant car no matter what. So where is it then now and in what state? Does anyone know?
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
allsidius wrote:

Guy with arm in the sling, is he the one that wrecked the Porsche prototype W30 that's posted in the other forum? Same era.

If you are referring to the damaged Typ64, the black one by the side of the road, it was driven by Bodo Lafferenz, one of the top Nazis, although not in class with the worst bastards.

The fat bastard behind AH is dr Robert Ley, CEO of the KdF organisation who organized the Gezuvor (Gesellschaft zur Vorbereitung des Deutschen Volkswagens), the organisation set up for the building of the Fallersleben plant and the production of KdF cars. Contrary to Dr Porsche, Ley was an actual holder of a PhD. Death by suicide at Nüremberg.

The tall guy in black SS attire between Ley and Ferdinand is Jacob Werlin, Mercedes-Benz salesman (with AH as his most important VIP customer) and instrumental in the development of the KdF. Most of the early prototypes were hand built by MB, probably through the intervention of Werlin. Back to selling Benzes after 1948.

The tall guy with his hand in a sling is Bodo Lafferentz, as stated. In 38 he became CEO of the Gezuvor. He was married to the granddaughter of Richard Wagner, AHs favorite composer. He lived on till 1974, but she actually died in april 2019! Not one for the spotlight, though.

The sack of shit all to the right is my "favorite" Nazi, Adolf Hühnlein. Without any skills but being an ardent Nazi and a flat out drunk, he became head of the NSKK, the nazi racing organisation that gave us the wonderful Auto Unions and MBs of the 30s. A real stupid and talentless man, he died in 1942 from cancer without many mourning him.

Most of these guys can be seen in the famous picture of the Beetle model, taken some months before the cornerstone ceremony. Hühnlein is severely tanned from attending all those Grand Prix races around Europe. A wonder they let him in..

Sorry for my rant over all these lowlifes, but they are all connected to the Beetle in one way or the other.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
But didn't Ferry's vert have the semaphores higher like here

and here (next to Dr Porsche's elbow)

I read back on page 17 and thought we only concluded the workshop was the same but not neccessarily the vert or am I mistaken? Did they move the semaphores up or down at some point? The black out covers suggest this is later in the war, right?

New (to me) pictures of this vert (or actually two verts!) posted recently in the Cool vintage photos thread

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1938 Kabriolett info Reply with quote

^ of interest is the fitment of chrome instead of dull painted bumpers and headlamp rings. not sure when the first photo of ferry's car was taken but the fact that louise piech is wearing a bdm uniform with swastika means that photo must be during the war.

this is another photo that I posted recently, this seems like a post war car made by ringel at vw. the 2-tone pale colour cabrio was photograhed with the blonde secretary frau gans at the wheel but with banana bumpers and nipple hub caps so seems to have been updated. it also has chrome window frames similar to the production karmann cars

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: