Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1988 Jetta MK2 Transmission Swap
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnakandala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: 1988 Jetta MK2 Transmission Swap Reply with quote

Recently bought a Jetta and the PO has swap 4 speed to 5 speed, the problem is its very hard to shift to Reverse and Fifth, going through the problem i have found out the shift linkage is missing parts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What are the things i can do to sort this out?

The part number in gearbox is 085301107A

- Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1988 Jetta MK2 Transmission Swap Reply with quote

The shift rod from the shifter has a longer relay arm, the shifter box has a wider gate , & the shifter selector rod has a dogleg in it instead of a 45* bend in it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1988 Jetta MK2 Transmission Swap Reply with quote

Never mind, you’re working with some stuff that we never got in the USA, that’s some crazy looking crap you got over there.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mnakandala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1988 Jetta MK2 Transmission Swap Reply with quote

Haha Very Happy okay, in a side note i believe the transmission i have now is from a VW Polo 6n1 , that means if i find a Polo shifter and trans linkage will i be fine?
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Jetta MK2 Transmission Swap Reply with quote

mnakandala wrote:
Recently bought a Jetta and the PO has swap 4 speed to 5 speed, the problem is its very hard to shift to Reverse and Fifth, going through the problem i have found out the shift linkage is missing parts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What are the things i can do to sort this out?

The part number in gearbox is 085301107A

- Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

To me (owner of a almost similar 4 speed 084 gearbox) that looks perfect. No missing parts there.

Check for excessive play in the shift box and the shift stick.
Pull the shift stick boot from the center console and look into the box.
If no play, check, if enough material was removed from the plastic end stop at the right side in the shift box.
That end stop originally did prevent the stick to be moved further than 3th and 4th, but was already removed (broken off) from your box, since with it in place, it would be impossible to shift into 5th a all.

As far as I know, this end stop is the only modification necessary to the shift stick/linkage. Polo parts won't fit there.

EDIT, also look for left/right slop in the above pictured coupler. Take a pipe wrench to the left and right side of it to bend it narrower to remove any slop. Looks like yours did oval out, but could also be a visual illusion.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Jetta MK2 Transmission Swap Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:

To me (owner of a almost similar 4 speed 084 gearbox) that looks perfect. No missing parts there.

Check for excessive play in the shift box and the shift stick.
Pull the shift stick boot from the center console and look into the box.
If no play, check, if enough material was removed from the plastic end stop at the right side in the shift box.
That end stop originally did prevent the stick to be moved further than 3th and 4th, but was already removed (broken off) from your box, since with it in place, it would be impossible to shift into 5th a all.

As far as I know, this end stop is the only modification necessary to the shift stick/linkage. Polo parts won't fit there.

EDIT, also look for left/right slop in the above pictured coupler. Take a pipe wrench to the left and right side of it to bend it narrower to remove any slop. Looks like yours did oval out, but could also be a visual illusion.

The problem that the OP is having is that the transmission has been exchanged for a 5-speed unit. The mkII cars that came to the US all had 5-speeds so we never saw this transmission. When swapping 5-speed into 4-speed mk1 cars, there were differences in the length of the relay arms to increase the throw at the transmission, perhaps you might be able to find a 5-speed mkII to compare for them.

mnakandala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1988 Jetta MK2 Transmission Swap Reply with quote

Thank you all for the valuable info, i will check on these things and update the forum
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: