Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brakes/servo/vacuum
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

I wanted to add a little more information:

Per the extra pedal travel I'm experiencing, this happens when coming to a stop for example in my driveway or in a parking lot - where the speed is quite slow. If I apply the brakes once, I have normal pedal travel with the proper resistance and amount of help from the servo - but if I release the pedal and then apply it again right away, the pedal will travel further. The brakes are activated in this case but if I release the pedal and reapply, it almost always has less travel.
Not sure what this means, but this is what tends to happen.

Any thoughts/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

Difficult to nail down an exact cause for that, floatie bits in the brake fluid or a slightly torn seal in the master where the dangly bit gets caught under a valve surface might be to blame. A thorough brake fluid flush is always a good idea, it likely won't make it worse.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

- but if I release the pedal and then apply it again right away, the pedal will travel further.
This seams like the booster is working more. Applying more vacuum or atmospheric pressure thus further pedal travel.
Maybe you have a problem with the booster valve, or a clogged booster vent.

Link

Disconnect the booster and see if it still occurs. Be aware stopping the vehicle is going to require much more brake pedal force.
Problem goes away, brake servo is at fault.
Problem does not go away, I would be looking at the rear brake adjustment. Or for warped rotors up front.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash. Pardon my newbie question but how do I unhook the servo? Do I just disconnect the vacuum line? Or something else?

Thank You
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

Disconnect the Vacuum line and plug it.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

Following up from my post last fall, I bought a used servo from the classifieds thinking that I could harvest the serviceable parts listed in the Bently.

I worked to remove the hard plastic air connection, rubber boot, filter and damping ring but could not separate the hard plastic air connection or rubber boot. Does this disassemble or is it a 'sealed' unit that cannot be transferred to another servo? OR can I test this servo and install if it still holds a vacuum?

Thanks, Jeff

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:

I worked to remove the hard plastic air connection, rubber boot, filter and damping ring but could not separate the hard plastic air connection or rubber boot. Does this disassemble or is it a 'sealed' unit that cannot be transferred to another servo? OR can I test this servo and install if it still holds a vacuum?

Thanks, Jeff

There is a circlip on the pushrod that you must remove, then it all comes apart easily. It is the piece just ahead of the hard plastic in your photograph.
Colin
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

Thanks Colin -

I removed both that circlip and the small retaining ring on the bellows and could not get things to open up. The plastic air vent will rotate and the nut will turn but neither will release. When I turn the nut I hear a sound coming from the large spring in servo itself

Maybe some penetrating oil or carb cleaner sprayed might loosen things up?
Or am I missing something else?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

The metal shaft has an o-ring that holds the plastic air connection quite firmly. If you hold the shaft with a vice/tool and then rotate while pulling the plastic piece, it should
come off. A little silicone grease on the o-ring will probably make the job easier next time.

But really, are you sure these parts will work with your existing booster? You might have to remove the shaft end also (it appears to be fastened on with a roll pin according to
the diagram below). But then you'll need the proper bus connecting rod also. It never ends, eh?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes/servo/vacuum Reply with quote

Thanks Kreemoweet -

No, I'm not totally sure the parts will transfer from one to another but per the advise here plus plenty of study and reading, I 'think' they'll swap out. I won't know until I dig into things.

Yes, it never ends but that's part of the AC journey.

Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: